Oslo HOHO or Oslo Pass

annie99

We are going to be in Oslo in June on the Emerald. Just wondering if the HOHO bus or the visit Oslo Pass is the better option? Is the bus near the pier? We were only planning on going inside the Fram, the Kon Tiki and the Viking Museum. Is it easier to just use the HOHO or to try to figure out the public system?

Thanks!

We bought the Oslo Pass for a Baltic cruise a few years ago. To get to those museums from the ship, you would take the ferry to Bygdoy and then walk. The Norwegian Folk Museum is also well worth your time, and is in the same area.

I am also interested in the Oslo HO-HO. We have visited Oslo before and this time can relax and take in the sights. Is there a map that shows where the HO-HO buses go to? Anything exciting or interesting at any of the stops?

Edited by sansterre

We are going to be in Oslo in June on the Emerald. Just wondering if the HOHO bus or the visit Oslo Pass is the better option? Is the bus near the pier? We were only planning on going inside the Fram, the Kon Tiki and the Viking Museum. Is it easier to just use the HOHO or to try to figure out the public system?

Thanks!

Cost aside, if you're only planning to visit the Fram, Kon-Tiki, and Viking ships, it will probably be quicker and easier to just take the ferry over (assuming you can handle a few short walks).

However, considering the entrance fees to the three museums on your list, it will actually work out cheaper to buy the Oslo Pass! (So if you have extra time, you could visit some of the other sights for free.)

Fram - 60 NOK

Kon-Tiki - 65 NOK

Viking ships - 60 NOK

Ferry (roundtrip) - 54 NOK (80 NOK if you wait to buy tickets on board)

Total - 239 NOK (or 265 NOK buying ferry tickets on board)

Oslo Pass - 230 NOK

It looks like the Emerald Princess docks at Akershuskaia, next to the Cruise Terminal, so the HOHO bus will be stopping near the ship. According to the website, tickets cost 225 NOK, so with the museum admissions, the total cost using the HOHO bus would be 410 NOK per person.

If you want to get the Oslo Pass and go on your own, it's a 600-meter walk from the cruise terminal to the ferry pier in front of the city hall. Take the ferry to the first stop, Dronningen. From there, walk straight down Huk Avenue to the Viking Ship museum (about 12 minutes). After the Viking Ships, head to the bus stop at the corner and catch the bus 30 towards Bygdøy and get down at the Bygdøynes stop to visit the Kon-Tiki and Fram Museums. Or you can just walk, but it takes about 15 minutes along a somewhat busy route. To get back downtown, just catch the ferry from the Bygdøynes ferry pier behind the Fram Museum. The whole circuit is actually very straightforward.

I am also interested in the Oslo HO-HO. We have visited Oslo before and this time can relax and take in the sights. Is there a map that shows where the HO-HO buses go to? Anything exciting or interesting at any of the stops?

You can see the list of stops and download a map from their website:

http://www.citysightseeing.no/tour-related/stops

If you're not interested in any of the museums, Vigelands Sculpture Park is an interesting place to walk around (especially in nice weather). It's often considered one of Oslo's must-see attractions. And it's free!

You could also hop off at the Opera House stop and walk up the roof of Oslo's new opera house. The building was designed to be a public space as well as a theater, so the walk up the roof is a popular place to stroll for the locals. Aside from the interesting architecture of the building design itself, there are some nice views of the city and the Oslofjord from the roof.

Another option would be to get off at the stop for Oslo Central Station and then walk up Karl Johans gate (Oslo's central street) to the Stortinget stop or on to the stop near the Royal Palace.

is there a website to determine where ship docks,,our is May 28,I think...Seabourn Sojourn,,,,used the link you put for HOHO bus,,thanks and really helps...plan to use HOHO bus,,see Vigelands,,then go back for ferry to Folk Museum,,,not others,,,so that sounds like the best plan...money is not the main object,,just convenience...both Seniors,,and need easiest route and least hassle.:)

is there a website to determine where ship docks,,our is May 28,I think...Seabourn Sojourn

You can find the pier assignments on the Oslo Port Authority website:

http://www.oslohavn.no/english/home/cruise-list/

I believe the HOHO bus stops at the cruise terminal, which is next to the "Søndre Akershuskai" pier. The list shows the Sojourn in Oslo on June 1st, docking at Vippetangen, which is about 300 meters south of the cruise terminal.

Since the Aidacara, which will be docked at the cruise terminal that day, sails at 2 pm, you might want to contact the HOHO bus company to ensure that the buses will continue to run to the cruise terminal later in the day.

I would like to add one little negative about the HOHO bus. When we were leaving the Viking Museum, a lady had been waiting for a long time for a HOHO bus with room to continue her trip. They were all packed. We took a local bus (number 30 I believe) that came right away and took us to downtown Oslo.

Thanks Kaiiatsu and Lair Bear.

DH does want to go back to Vigelands. For me, I'd rather not do much walking (though the roof of the Opera House sounds like fun) so bus or boat is preferred. Is the Opera House roof accessible by steps, ramp, escalator, or elevator????

The roof of the opera house is sloped, so the roof actually starts off at ground level and then slopes back and forth:

oslo-opera-house.jpg

There are stairs along the outside, but it's possible to walk on the slope as well (as you can see above). The slope is a little steeper than a typical wheelchair ramp, and is broken into wide steps:

02OsloOperaNorway081.jpg

Thanks for photos of the Opera House! Will give it a try.

Am I right that there are no HO-HO boats in Oslo - Only HO-HO buses?

To tour the harbor, it would be on the ferry - anything else?

No, there's no HOHO boat.

There are a number of ferries on the Oslofjord: In addition to "the ferry" typically discussed on this forum that runs to the Bygdøy museum area, there are also a number of local ferries that run to the small islands. However, the ferries aren't your only option, since there are a also some tour boats that sail the area around the city. You can find more information about these on the visitoslo.com tourism website.

However, I strongly recommend spending your time in Oslo cruising the harbor and Oslofjord if you're coming/going by cruise ship. You will have much of the same scenery from the cruise ship itself as you enter and leave port. The sailing from open sea up the Oslofjord takes a few hours, and you will have a very nice view of the coastline and the other boats as you pass through.

• 3 years later...

I have seen some criticism of the busses being overbooked. There is a web page of the Oslo Port with the dates and names of Cruise Ships in port. We will be the only large ship scheduled in port so I'm hoping the buses will not be overcrowded. Some dates have as many as 4 large ships in port. Might be something to check. Also the Hop on Hop off bus in Oslo can be found for 20 Euros, or $27.00. (City Sightseeing Olso, Hop on Off bus. Other sites (Viator) sell the same tour for as much as 28 Euros or $35.84. Don't pay more.