Booking tickets with multiple fare codes

HawksFan74

Looking to book 3 seats one way post-cruise from MIA to SEA (already purchased the one way pre-cruise flights at a great price). Looking on ITA Matrix, I see a flight on AA leaving MIA at 2:05 pm, connecting to US in PHX, and arriving in SEA at 7:31. ITA shows the average price as $266, but the cost breakdown reveals that this is the result of 3 different fares: 1 @ $254, 1 @ $268, and 1 @ $275. However, when I go to book on the AA site, it wants to sell me all three seats at the $275 price. So, my question is, to get the best price, would I need to buy these tickets one at a time? Are there any potential problems in doing so? Now that I think about it, our daughter, who will only be 4 at the time, may not even be allowed to be booked on her own itinerary.

That's pretty much how it works. Either buy 1 fare at the lowest available or all at the lowest fare available for 3 seats.

Downside is that you may not be able to get seats together (especially if the flight is getting full) and if you miss a connection, everyone may be rebooked on different flights.

Now that I think about it, our daughter, who will only be 4 at the time, may not even be allowed to be booked on her own itinerary.

You would have to pay an unaccompanied minor fee if she is booked by herself, and even then, you'd have to make sure that 4 meets the minimum age for an unaccompanied minor. Alternatively, you may be able to book your own ticket first, and then call to book hers (could result in a booking fee though, if you book by phone instead of online) and give them your reservation number so they know she isn't really flying alone. I have done this successfully when booking a paid ticket for myself, and booking my kids separately using miles. The main downside of having tickets on different reservations is that in the event of flight disruptions, you won't all automatically be re-booked together, even if your tickets are "linked." GEtting tickets linked simply means someone makes a note in the comments screen, but the computer that handles automatic rebooking doesn't read such comments. ;)

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try to make sure that my daughter is booked with at least one of us. It may not matter now anyway, as the same flight is now showing 5 seats available at $252. I've been watching these flights for a couple of weeks now, and it seems like the prices change almost daily.

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try to make sure that my daughter is booked with at least one of us. It may not matter now anyway, as the same flight is now showing 5 seats available at $252. I've been watching these flights for a couple of weeks now, and it seems like the prices change almost daily.
Prices don't change daily -- inventory in the various fare buckets changes in a dynamic system. All a result of supply and demand.

I believe you said earlier you are flying MIA to SEA? And you know see 5 tickets for $252 each? I'd have already jumped on that!

I believe you said earlier you are flying MIA to SEA? And you know see 5 tickets for $252 each? I'd have already jumped on that!

Those are one way fares, not round trip. I'm kind of hoping to find something closer to $200, but we'll see.

Those are one way fares, not round trip. I'm kind of hoping to find something closer to $200, but we'll see.

I'd still have jumped on it. Based on your first post, you've been seeing tickets in the $250-275 range, and already found out the price can jump when you try to buy FIVE at a given price, so seeing five available for $252 each doesn't sound bad, especially given that it's for a transcontinental flight.

We'd all love to find cheaper tickets, but waiting for a lower price can backfire if prices go up instead of down.