Delta Int'l Flight Options

Dietemann

Hi, looking at some DL flights in July from RSW to HAM, connecting in AMS to KLM, and found the following:

RSW to DTW (1 hr 13 min lay over) Option is 2 hrs 50 min lay over

DTW to AMS (1 hr 25 min lay over) Option is 1 hr 50 min lay over

AMS to HAM on KLM

The return flight from AMS to RSW via ATL has a lay over of 1 hr 54 min (arrival in ATL at 1:16 pm). The next flight does not leave for 6 1/2 hrs.

What do you seasoned travelers say, I'm not familiar with DTW and AMS at all.

Hi, looking at some DL flights in July from RSW to HAM, connecting in AMS to KLM, and found the following:

RSW to DTW (1 hr 13 min lay over) Option is 2 hrs 50 min lay over

DTW to AMS (1 hr 25 min lay over) Option is 1 hr 50 min lay over

AMS to HAM on KLM

The return flight from AMS to RSW via ATL has a lay over of 1 hr 54 min (arrival in ATL at 1:16 pm). The next flight does not leave for 6 1/2 hrs.

What do you seasoned travelers say, I'm not familiar with DTW and AMS at all.

The 1h13 in DTW cuts it a bit close in my book. Sure, you can make it, but there isn't a ton of room for delays. There are usually 2-3 DTW-AMS flights each day, but in the summer they may be all full, so if you miss your flight, there's no guarantee you'll get out that night. I would take the 2h50.

The 1h25 in AMS makes me a bit nervous because you will clear immigration there. It's doable, but I would choose 1h50 just to be safe.

1h54 in ATL is on the low side of comfort, but quite doable. You will need to exit the plane, clear immigration, grab your bag, walk it through customs, re-check it with Delta, re-clear security and likely change terminals. It can be done, definitely, but don't be lazy ;) I would probably book the 1h54 if the next one isn't for that long of a time, and just hope it all works out.

Those are my thoughts, but I am fairly conservative. Especially on a vacation, I don't see any need to cut things close. It could save 3 hours, but it could also cost you 24 hours. Many other people aren't quite as conservative as I am.

AMS is very easy airport, we had 50 mins layover and it was plenty - even managed to do some quick shopping. They have a special line for "close connections" at immigration. They post list of close connecting flights (they do know what connections people on board have) at tv screen and if your flight is on that, you get to use the fast lane. Which makes it super easy.

• 1 month later...