Can we make it to the Colosseum metro station at 9:45am if ship docks at 6?

jchristi

I have to make a decision as to whether we take a guided tour that leaves from the station at 9:45. We plan to disembark as soon as possible and walk to the Civitavecchia train station. The latest train that will get us there leaves at 7:58. I've researched the walk to the station and the transfer to the Metro, but don't have a good idea of the timing. If it is not likely that we will make it, we will buy our own Colosseum tickets. I had read somewhere that it's possible to get a tour outside. Is that advisable?

Thanks!

If you can make the 7:58 (and you should be able to), I think you will be fine. It gets to Ostiense station at 9:06 and the metro trains run very frequently. The Pyramide metro station is right next to the Ostiense train station and once you get on the metro it is only two stops.

Of course, I'd aim for an earlier train just to be sure. You can always spend the extra minutes taking photos of the Colosseum and Arch of Constantine. Also, the coffee bar in the lobby of the Colosseo station has surprisingly good espresso. :D

If this is a port day you'll probably get on an earlier train, I don't think you'll have any issue making the 7:58.

Once you see where you are docked you can decide whether you need to take the shuttle from the ship to the della Pace exit, followed by another bus to the train station (or a one mile walk) vs. simply walking from your ship to the train station. That decision depends on where you are berthed as well as your own willingness to walk.

Edited by euro cruiser

Be up and ready to go before the posted time. You WILL have to be bused out of the port. Depends on the gate, but a few months ago on NCL, we went to the far gate, where there was a 5 euro bus to the train station. Otherwise, it will be a 20 minute walk.

In the past, I have just gone with a walk up English guided tour at the Colosseum. Purchased in a different line than the general line. No waits and able to get on the next tour. BUT, I did not recently do this, so verify current options.

Be up and ready to go before the posted time. You WILL have to be bused out of the port. Depends on the gate, but a few months ago on NCL, we went to the far gate, where there was a 5 euro bus to the train station. Otherwise, it will be a 20 minute walk.

In the past, I have just gone with a walk up English guided tour at the Colosseum. Purchased in a different line than the general line. No waits and able to get on the next tour. BUT, I did not recently do this, so verify current options.

Thank you for replying and its great to see you here! We went to Alaska last summer and relied on your opinion, tips and advice! It was a wonderful trip.

So it seems that the consensus is that we can make it. Thank you all so much. This tour appeals to us, well me, as an express tour of 90 minutes. My husband will want to spend the entire day at the Roman sites but I want to see some of Rome as well.