Hobart -- Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2015

Depending on how long your ship is in port, I would HIGHLY recommend renting a car or taking a tour to Port Arthur. It's a fascinating place and gives you a good insight to an important part of Australian history.

I have visited Hobart many times, including 3 times on a cruise ship.

Port Arthur is indeed a fascinating place, but a visit there will take up just about all your day in Hobart. I also worry about folk hiring a car when they are not used to driving on the left side of the road. I know from experience that coping with such a change (even if you have done it before) can be quite challenging.

Perhaps you might consider one of the local tours that start about 9.15am from the Brooke St pier. These are varied in where they go and for how long, but are all reasonably priced. Viator is a good place to start.

For something different (very different) maybe take the dedicated ferry upriver to the Museum of Old and New Art. (MONA). It is an extraordinary place (some find it confronting), but I for one would recommend it to any broad minded visitor. Google it ;)

cheers

• 2 months later...
Hey -- any suggestions on how to spend the day in Hobart? Our first time -- anything we should definitely do/not miss? :) Swellgal0708

Port Arthur, MONA, Bonorong Park(if you want to see Tasmanian Tigers and other native animals), Richmond is a nice old type village, top of Mt Wellington (minutes from the city and lovely views).

I would also recommend hiring a car, I'm sure a cheaper option than tours, Hobart/Tasmania is very easy to drive around.

If you did have a car you could go to Port Arthur, then stop at the Tasmanian Devil Park, less than 10 minutes from Port Arthur, then back to Hobart via Richmond. This would be a full day but very doable.

If you have any questions about Hobart or Tasmania I may be able to help.

Deb

We've also hired a car in Hobart off a cruise ship a few times. Avis is a short walk from the dock.

You could drive up Mount Wellington for a look.

Drive towards Port Arthur (MUST stop in a Federation Chocolate on the way, grab some "apple chocolate" - delish!!)

Go to Richmond. Zoo Doo is fun!

Cascades Brewery

Cadbury Factory (although you don't get to tour the factory)

Drive to Bruny Island

Drive to Huon Valley and self drive a fruit, wine, cheese farm gate tour