Akaroa

mtn_couple

I've found a car in Akaroa that we have booked to drive around for the day. Anyone give me suggestions on what to see or where we could drive to? I don't want to drive to Christchurch (too far) but happy to drive maybe an hour or so away from the port. Any suggestions/ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

There is a cheese company at Barry's Bay, and a good winery at French Farm Bay, both on the other side of the harbour, The winery is the furtherest away and it is about 20 minutes from Akaroa township. It's a pretty drive.

I've found a car in Akaroa that we have booked to drive around for the day. Anyone give me suggestions on what to see or where we could drive to? I don't want to drive to Christchurch (too far) but happy to drive maybe an hour or so away from the port. Any suggestions/ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

The roads to move out from Akaroa are fairly long, twisting and challenging!! And, it takes some time to get any place of significance. See a few of my pictures below. As noted in the live/blog below, we were there earlier this year. Check out these postings for more info/background on many great port options, excursion potentials, etc.

During this port stop, we did the rail trip to Arthur's Pass National Park and then the awesome JetBoat adventure. Akaroa is very nice and pretty, but it does present some logistical challenges. I was happy that somebody else was doing the driving and not me.

Will your cruise offer the overnight excursion to Queenstown? Getting that sampling of the scenic and very interesting interior of the NZ South Island was super wonderful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,666 views for this fun posting.

These three pictures gives a sampling for Akaroa, its scenic harbor and nearby areas. BUT, it takes time to get out of here, including to navigate the twisting, slow roads. And, getting back, too!! Notice the "truth-in-advertising" sign about the many "S-curves" ahead. The third picture was taken as we were sailing out after an enjoyable day in this region. Lots of visual interest and NZ natural charm in this region.:

Akoroa1_zpsd2d7c732.jpg

Akoroa11_zps5b0b5e31.jpg

Akoroa13_zps9728b3da.jpg

There never used to be any Car Rentals available in Akaroa ...obviously things have changed.

When you get off your tender at the Akaroa wharf, make your way to the Information Kiosk at the end. There you will find some lovely ladies who will be able to give you up to date info on where and what to see...and also provide some maps.

The roads are scenic and are a bit tight...but folk from South Gippsland should have no problems :D

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

Terry in Ohio - where we live the roads are twisty and windt country roads, and we drive on the same side of the road as NZ, so this does not bother us.

re the overnighter to Queenstown and the jet boat adventure - I probably should have said we are also travelling with a 4 year old, so these are really not suitable.

Thanks for the pictures, they are beautiful and I can't wait to see it in person

There never used to be any Car Rentals available in Akaroa ...obviously things have changed.

When you get off your tender at the Akaroa wharf, make your way to the Information Kiosk at the end. There you will find some lovely ladies who will be able to give you up to date info on where and what to see...and also provide some maps.

The roads are scenic and are a bit tight...but folk from South Gippsland should have no problems :D

cheers

andrew@justbookit.co.nz is offering a few car rentals out of akaroa now. If anyone else is interested in this, get in early, he said he books up quickly.

Yep, South Gippsland roads will be quite similarI'd imagine! Not expecting we'll have an issue with the roads......

Terry in Ohio - where we live the roads are twisty and windt country roads, and we drive on the same side of the road as NZ, so this does not bother us. re the overnighter to Queenstown and the jet boat adventure - I probably should have said we are also travelling with a 4 year old, so these are really not suitable. Thanks for the pictures, they are beautiful and I can't wait to see it in person

Appreciate your follow-up and glad to know that you are experienced with twisting roads, etc. We have two grandsons. With them in Virginia right now. They are ages two and four. Understand that serious challenge in doing such travel with a four-year-old. Agree you'll need to wait until a later time to do the Queenstown overnight and/or JetBoat adventure.

For those considering JetBoats while in this port and/or at another location in NZ, below are some of my visuals to preview why this can be great fun and very exciting.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 156,870 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows just one example of the THRILLS during these fast, roaring shots up and down this narrow and scenic section of this river. I was fortunately seated right behind our excellent driver, Greg Peacock. I didn't get very wet, but those on the right side got more of the "showers". No extra charge. But, nobody got too wet. It was all part of the fun. :

JetBoatOne5_zps2c81c8a8.jpg

At a couple points during our about 25-minute trip on the river, Greg stopped at a scenic location in this river/gorge to give us more background on these boats, experiences in doing this work since 1998 for him, etc. Greg's sense of humor was wonderful!! These Hamilton Jet Boats were developed around 1960, including work done at this site to perfect the design and test the models/designs. Notice the great background/dramatic areas that we were "sailing" up and down? When pilot Greg put his hand up, as shown here, he was doing a twirling, rotating sign to warn us. It's 360 degree time and the need for us to be bracing as he would be doing a full-circle, high-speed spin in the middle of the river. WOW!! Times ten. Maybe even better. These were so fast and such fun!!:

JetBoatOne2_zps433fff02.jpg

There were three boats from our ship group doing this trip and here is a picture that I got of another JetBoat during our fast ride on the river doing its adventure. A picture is worth a thousand words in summarizing how fast these boats travel and the fun being had by those doing this exciting trip.:

JetBoatOne3_zps183dc6a9.jpg

Now finally, here is a picture that my wife loved. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. I showed my wife this picture (and several others like this one of her where the wind was blowing her hair in the opposite direction). She liked this picture so much, that she said to put this one in her obituary (not that this need is upcoming anytime soon). It showed her having fun and she said this ride was the most fun of the whole cruise/trip. We had lots of great moments on this trip, but this one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry-

Wow those jet boats look like a lot of fun! How much jarring and jolting is there on the ride? I don't mind getting wet, but I am about a year out from some back surgery and have been told I need to be a bit mindful of stressing my spine. The last thing I need to do is dislocate another disk halfway around the world from home!

Also, judging from the abundance of pictures, I assume it is possible to take a camera along and not ruin it from exposure to water spray?

Hi Terry- Wow those jet boats look like a lot of fun! How much jarring and jolting is there on the ride? I don't mind getting wet, but I am about a year out from some back surgery and have been told I need to be a bit mindful of stressing my spine. The last thing I need to do is dislocate another disk halfway around the world from home! Also, judging from the abundance of pictures, I assume it is possible to take a camera along and not ruin it from exposure to water spray?

Embrace: Terry in Ohio - I really enjoy seeing your photos posted on various threads from time to time from your cruise down this part of the world. Glad you had a great time and lots of memories and photos to share.

Appreciate these good questions and follow-up from postnobills in Northern Virginia. Our two grandsons are in Charlottesville' date=' Va., and we love your state.

In doing the JetBoat, it was not what I would call as being too "jolting", up and down. Nor that hard on your spine, in my personal view. It is more about the "mental thrills", with stronger left and right movement/action BUT, my wife, who is a RN, suggested chatting with your doctor. And, talk with the operator at the time you are there. Different locations and drivers can yield varied results/situations. River conditions at the time you are there could be another variable factor to consider. [b'] The thrills and memories were super great for us.[/b]

On doing pictures on the JetBoat, it is going to depend about where you are sitting. I was right behind the pilot/driver. Little or no water/splash problems there. Others on the right side got more splashing. I had a waterproof camera with me, but once I realized that my exact seating location was more protected, I fired away with my "good" camera. No problems!! Worked super well.

Other questions, info needs? Happy to share more.

Glad that Embrace from wonderful Auckland likes seeing my visuals. We loved NZ and your wonderful hometown. New Zealand has great, scenic areas that make the photographer look so very talented and good. Visiting great places is one of my secrets!!

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 78,135 views for this fun posting

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry, I am really enjoying reading your blog and postings. They are very helpful and informative and the photography is beautiful.:) We are going on this cruise on the Solstice from Aukland to Sydney in early January. I am very puzzled as to which excursion to book from Akaroa. I have read some disappointing reviews about the Tranz Alpine train excursion because of all the time spent on a bus getting to and from the train.:( I have read great reviews from those who went on the Mail Run in the Banks Peninsula. Does the bus to the train travel through some of the scenic Banks Peninsula area and how long is the bus trip? When you leave the train to go to the jetboats, do you have to board a bus and, if so, how long is that trip? Is there a bus trip back to the wharf from the end of the jetboat run? We would like to do the train and jetboats, but not sure we want to spend hours on bus rides. Thanks for your help.

Hi Terry, I am really enjoying reading your blog and postings. They are very helpful and informative and the photography is beautiful.:) We are going on this cruise on the Solstice from Aukland to Sydney in early January. I am very puzzled as to which excursion to book from Akaroa. I have read some disappointing reviews about the Tranz Alpine train excursion because of all the time spent on a bus getting to and from the train.:( I have read great reviews from those who went on the Mail Run in the Banks Peninsula. Does the bus to the train travel through some of the scenic Banks Peninsula area and how long is the bus trip? When you leave the train to go to the jetboats, do you have to board a bus and, if so, how long is that trip? Is there a bus trip back to the wharf from the end of the jetboat run? We would like to do the train and jetboats, but not sure we want to spend hours on bus rides. Thanks for your help.

Appreciate these kind comments and follow-up from our Alabama friend. Excellent questions!!! It was an hour or so to ride on a bus to get to where we boarded the train. Some good scenery as we went up and out of Akaroa and nearby. Some is only average, more flat in the later part of the trip. Then did the train. It's a little flat and plain initially, then it gets in the prime mountain, valley areas that are the "stars". Then from in Arthur's Pass park after completing the train trip, the bus took us to where we did lunch and the JetBoat. Then about a two hour bus ride back to Akaroa. All times, roughly speaking, are not guaranteed that everyone would have exactly that same schedule.

Understand your concern on the bus riding time. My personal view is that it was worth it for us. Personal choice!! Each individual needs to determine what best fits their interests and standards. Everybody in our group was happy if that is an indicator. Fortunately, as the pictures show/prove, we had great weather and all worked well with the sunshine. The "prizes" were worth the trade-offs with these required travel distances.

Other questions/info needs? Happy to share more.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 81,004 views for this fun posting.

Appreciate these kind comments and follow-up from our Alabama friend. Excellent questions!!! It was an hour or so to ride on a bus to get to where we boarded the train. Some good scenery as we went up and out of Akaroa and nearby. Some is only average, more flat in the later part of the trip. Then did the train. It's a little flat and plain initially, then it gets in the prime mountain, valley areas that are the "stars". Then from in Arthur's Pass park after completing the train trip, the bus took us to where we did lunch and the JetBoat. Then about a two hour bus ride back to Akaroa. All times, roughly speaking, are not guaranteed that everyone would have exactly that same schedule.

Understand your concern on the bus riding time. My personal view is that it was worth it for us. Personal choice!! Each individual needs to determine what best fits their interests and standards. Everybody in our group was happy if that is an indicator. Fortunately, as the pictures show/prove, we had great weather and all worked well with the sunshine. The "prizes" were worth the trade-offs with these required travel distances.

Other questions/info needs? Happy to share more.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 81,004 views for this fun posting.

Thanks Terry! Your information and opinion are very helpful!

Linda