Cruise deposit refundable?

TOMomof4

I was under the impression that my deposit isn't refundable (booked 2 inside deluxe stateroom on Magic for December), and that it's only transferable. Another post here seemed to mention that most desposits are refundable :confused:

I just called Disney and the sales agent said it is refundable until August. But I distinctly remember being told it's not refundable when I booked, so is it just me that got it wrong? Has there been a change in policy? Will I get a different answer with another agent?

This might make things easier as we may need a less expensive vacation this year, and cancelling vs. transferring the deposit would be my preference. But then I'm hesitating pulling the plug, would LOVE to go on the cruise too!

Edited by TOMomof4

Concierge bookings are non-refundable. They are transferrable ONLY. Even if you transfer to a non-concierge cabin, they are not refundable.

Regular bookings are refundable before the penalty date (currently 74 days before embarkation for US based cruises, 120 days for cruises longer than 7 nights or based outside the US). After the penalty date, you face increasing losses (penalty) based on how close to the cruise you are.

Restricted fares (*GT) are non-refundable and non-transferrable.

It is rumored that DCL has new policies to be released in March. DOn't know whether any of this will be impacted by those changes.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you so much. I actually called DCL back just now to confirm, and I must have had the wrong info (where did I get the idea?) as the deposit is refundable. So I very reluctantly just cancelled our Dec. cruise :( Figured I might as well do it asap instead of getting more upset about it. Oh well, DCL isn't going anywhere, a future sailing date hopefully instead!

Edited by TOMomof4

Sounds like OP got the Refundable & Transferable info reversed.

Their deposits for inside cabins are Refundable but not Transferable .

One original guest name must remain or its a cancelation.

This explains things. I was wondering where I got the info from. I think the knowledge that if you book a cruise while on a cruise (and you get the discount), that deposit is not refundable, helped me get confused.

And we are using the word "transferrable" in different ways. I was meaning that it can be transferred to a different cruise date/ship. No, a reservation cannot be transferred to different people. One person from the original reservation must remain on the reservation. Otherwise, it is a cancel and rebook situation.

If you book a cruise while on a cruise (rebooking on board), that deposit is completely refundable under current rules provided you cancel and request the refund before the penalty date.

Edited by moki'smommy

If you book a cruise while on a cruise (rebooking on board)' date=' that deposit is completely refundable under current rules provided you cancel and request the refund before the penalty date.[/quote']

Really? I wonder how I could be so mistaken about this? :confused: Oh well, definitely good, thanks!