Is Montego Bay port accessible?

dawne24

Looking at another cruise... it stops in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Have found lots of info on Cozumel... but was wondering if anyone had experience at Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. I have read Cayman uses tenders a lot. (but I'm not sure yet if this cruise will tender at Cayman) For now, I am mostly concerned with Mobay. I will be using a powerchair. Not interested in planning any excursions, but would like to get off the ship and possibly wander up the strip looking around. Is this do-able? How far from the pier is the walk?

Can't answer your question about Montego Bay, but Grand Cayman is always a tender port, but it does use island tenders. Not sure what the rule on accessibility will be.

With regards to Falmouth, there really is nothing there outside the built up port area.

I've never been able to tender in Grand Cayman with my scooter, not even when using the local tenders. Most ships have stairs to access the tender platform.

As for Falmouth, it's not a very nice, or safe, place outside the secure port area. I've been reading the local Jamaica papers, and there's been a lot of problems with drug running there. I would not venture out of the port area unless taking a tour.

Yes, the port in Grand Cayman IS a tender... (thought so..) I called today and confirmed it. However, it's not the Falmouth port...it's the Montego Bay port I am curious about. I'm getting replies about the Falmouth port which is in a different area. Was hoping someone could tell me about the port accessibility in Montego Bay because if I have to miss 2 ports out of 3 (Cayman and Montego Bay).. then I would be looking to book a different cruise.

Edited by dawne24

What I remember from MoBay is after a tour we had to go through the port security first, before the ship's security. I use a cane, and one of the personnel was pushy, trying to get me into their wheelchair, probably wanting tips. The ship was docked, the area around was flat, several shops.

Grand Cayman is always a tender port, but it does use island tenders. Not sure what the rule on accessibility will be.

I read that as long as you can walk a few steps, you can take the tender. If not, you cannot ride a scooter onto it. Someone has to be with you to carry the wheelchair onboard the tender as well.

It has been a number of years since we were in Montego Bay. The first time we took the shuttle bus into town. The buses were wheelchair accessible and there was sufficient room for two of us on mobility scooters. The second time there were multiple ships docked and the line for the shuttle bus was never-ending so we just browsed through the stores in the terminal.

For current information and to verify that the shuttle bus is accessible and still operating, I would recommend that you contact the Port Authority directly. I did find this email address that is used for all ports in Jamaica: info@cruisejamaica.com

If you do decide to go to Montego Bay and go into town, we were advised by crew members from Montego Bay to stay on the main street (St. James St.).

For ports of call, I do contact the Port Authority or their source for information and ask specifically about accessible transportation.

Enjoy your cruise.

Betty

I read that as long as you can walk a few steps, you can take the tender. If not, you cannot ride a scooter onto it. Someone has to be with you to carry the wheelchair onboard the tender as well.

What was stated in your post only applies if it's a standard collapsible folding wheelchair. OP stated that he/she has a power chair and policy is that power chairs and mobility scooters will only be allowed on the tender if it has roll-on capabilities.

What was stated in your post only applies if it's a standard collapsible folding wheelchair. OP stated that he/she has a power chair and policy is that power chairs and mobility scooters will only be allowed on the tender if it has roll-on capabilities.

You are at it again. If you would have read the question, the OP specifically asked about Montego Bay. Only a couple of us offered any information regarding Montego Bay.

I am positive that you have a lot of valuable information to offer, so please stop editing other people's responses and share your experiences that apply. Both my scooter and my traveling companion's scooter have been on many tenders; including Grand Cayman. Regardless, I would still not suggest that anyone can take a mobile divice on a tender because there are just too many factors involved.

Montego Bay is wheelchair accessible, but since my experience goes back many years ago, I recommended that the OP write for current facts.

Dawne24 – Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

• 5 months later...
Yes, the port in Grand Cayman IS a tender... (thought so..) I called today and confirmed it. However, it's not the Falmouth port...it's the Montego Bay port I am curious about. I'm getting replies about the Falmouth port which is in a different area. Was hoping someone could tell me about the port accessibility in Montego Bay because if I have to miss 2 ports out of 3 (Cayman and Montego Bay).. then I would be looking to book a different cruise.

Hi dawne24,

I see that you sailed to Montego Bay on the Sunshine. Hope you had a wonderful cruise! How was your experience? Was the port in Montego Bay accessible? We will be stopping there in September with my mother who will be in a chair. We are just wanting to do a little port shopping and then get back on the ship.

Thanks so much!

The dock area in MoBay is accessible but there's not much going on there. I would be very careful at that port because most of Jamaica isn't considered very safe with lots of problems with drugs and people trying to sell, plus lots of robberies---I think if you did research, many cruise passengers say they stay on board the ship if not taking an organized or private tour. I highly suggest either taking a ship tour or finding a private guide with an accessible vehicle to tour the island. I would not go it alone, especially for a mobility challenged person. Unfortunately, we're a target for criminals, so it's best not to go off alone in MoBay.

• 3 months later...
The dock area in MoBay is accessible but there's not much going on there. I would be very careful at that port because most of Jamaica isn't considered very safe with lots of problems with drugs and people trying to sell, plus lots of robberies---I think if you did research, many cruise passengers say they stay on board the ship if not taking an organized or private tour. I highly suggest either taking a ship tour or finding a private guide with an accessible vehicle to tour the island. I would not go it alone, especially for a mobility challenged person. Unfortunately, we're a target for criminals, so it's best not to go off alone in MoBay.

We hired a private guide with an accesable van for 100 us dollars for the day. he took us to good shopping areas. sight seeing, a great place to eat etc etc,and was a great body guard. He would ward off the few drug dealers etc that tried to approach us.

• 5 months later...
We hired a private guide with an accesable van for 100 us dollars for the day. he took us to good shopping areas. sight seeing, a great place to eat etc etc,and was a great body guard. He would ward off the few drug dealers etc that tried to approach us.

would you happen to have contact info for the guide?