Making phone calls in Italy

mafiadon

I am putting the phone # of the tour company and hotels that I will be staying in while in Italy and they have a +39 in all of them at the beginning. Does the plus mean I have to put a 1 first and then the rest of the number or just dial the 39 and the number. Thanks for any help. Linda

I am putting the phone # of the tour company and hotels that I will be staying in while in Italy and they have a +39 in all of them at the beginning. Does the plus mean I have to put a 1 first and then the rest of the number or just dial the 39 and the number. Thanks for any help. Linda

Assuming you'll be calling from a US number then you would put 011 at the beginning. For example, 011 39 then the rest of the number.

Joe

Edited by Jojiboy

When giving an Italian tour company my US cell number, what numbers do I put in front of my 7 digit number? (480-xxx-xxxx)

It is never easy :). The International Code for US phone numbers is "1." But you first need to dial an international access code which is either 00 or +. So if I were giving a US cell number to somebody in Europe I would normally put either 00 1 zzz xxx xxxx or + 1 zzz xxx xxxx with "z" being your area code. Most of my European friends prefer to use the "00" prefix (rather then the +) but the Europeans understand both..

Hank

If we have to call on US cell phone while in Italy, do we use 00 or 39 for Italy? I remember a few years ago I couldn't get call to work. Thx

You really should check with your own cell phone provider (most have the detailed info online) since it seems to vary. For example, we have a MOBAL issued phone and must normally dial a + before the number. Most of the time you will need to use the national code (i.e. 39) to call a number in Europe but the problem is what you dial before that country code. We have seen +, 0, and sometimes nothing.

Hank