Hire car in Papeete

abbeymay0

We are a family if five wanted to do our own thing in Papeete is hiring a car a good idea, we want to look around but not do the expensive shore tours? Any advice would be great.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Renting a car is a great choice. I have done this a few times. Not cheap though. Traffic in downtown Papeete can get crazy. Some of the best places to see however I think you will need a 4 X 4. I have used Avis

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Automatics are readily available. I would not recommend anyone try the cross-island road in any vehicle. 4-wheel drives are not easy to come by and I know that major rental companies forbid people to take that road.

Most are not automatic and they are much more expensive to rent. Likewise a five passenger car is more expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

twin123185 -

Which do you suggest, Hilton Moorea or Sofitel for overall property, scenery/sunsets, quality/friendly service, in a premium OWB?

We're reserved at the Hilton but just wondering if that's the best choice or if Sofitel may be better.

We're going pre-cruise for R&R and scenic beauty more than being super busy with lots of activities every day.

Oh no I will not answer this!!! Well maybe I will.....

I have not stayed at either just visited.

I prefer the views and water at the Sofitel. Most people that I know that have stayed on Moorea love the Hilton and they do have a great crepe restaurant. Emdee had a day room at the Sofitel on our recent cruise and she said it was great. I have always stayed at the IC but if I were to pick a place for next time I would choose the Sofitel simply for the water and views. Don't know what the costs are. Either choice you will have an awesome stay.

Sunsets - better chance at Hilton.

Scenery - either. Sofitel though has an awesome view of Tahiti

Definitely rent a car one day

Edited by twin123185

I actually like Avis better. I have used both. The Avis cars were cleaner and newer. Don't know the cost difference anymore. I can get you the email address later today. If you can drive a stick you can save a few $$$ also.

With Avis on Tahiti, you can pick up at the downtown location and drop at the airport, or vice versa. They charge about $20 extra for the one way drop fee. This works really well when you are coming off the ferry/cruise and have the day to spend before catching the late night flight home.

I prefer to make my reservation on the Avis.com web site. If you use the Avis pacificar website, they require prepayment of the rental.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk