Southwest Fares

BiXLL

I do not travel much and am preparing to go on my first cruise. In researching air from Pittsburgh to Tampa I have found that southwest offers a non stop flight that on some days is $145.00, other days is as much as $191.00.

I have been told that they go as low as $99.00 each way.(I have not seen that) We are not leaving until Jan 18. Can anybody that is a veteran Southwest flyer tell me, should I jump on the $145.00 next time I see it, or would it be better to keep watching for the $99.00 rate? How long can I wait to safely assure I will get the flight?

I do not travel much and am preparing to go on my first cruise. In researching air from Pittsburgh to Tampa I have found that southwest offers a non stop flight that on some days is $145.00, other days is as much as $191.00.

I have been told that they go as low as $99.00 each way.(I have not seen that) We are not leaving until Jan 18. Can anybody that is a veteran Southwest flyer tell me, should I jump on the $145.00 next time I see it, or would it be better to keep watching for the $99.00 rate? How long can I wait to safely assure I will get the flight?

I see a nonstop at 8:15 with 5 options after in case (important in Jan.) for 148 dollars. We would book it if the price goes down remember Southwest has no change fees the difference is held on account and must be used in a year from original booking. You can use the difference toward a short flight for a long weekend somewhere and if it does go to 191 dollars and stays there you aren't kicking yourself.

Agree with the above poster suggestions and knowledge of getting the price lowered with the credit - but will add...

since you have a little time, check the pricing on Tuesdays, that's when they seem to announce any sales they are having. Also, if possible, once you get the price up on the screen - check a day or two around your date to see if those would be even lower (if possible to travel on a different day)

Have fun planning!

Every time I get an e-mail from Southwest about $99 fares, I go looking immediately. Never has one applied to a flight I have, or am looking at. There's never been one to a place where I am interested in flying. I won't say the fares are a "come on", as I am sure many people want to go there. But not me.

Sometimes the flights on days when a ship will be in port are more expensive. Just check the prices on disembarkation day: early in the morning, too early to make the flight, is much less than later in the day. The next day, all the prices are lower. But the price of staying over one night makes the flight the day of disembarkation worth it. At least to me.

I get my ticket on Southwest as soon as my date opens up. I jump on the cheapest fare, then forget it. Should the price go down, then it's my choice whether or not to get it changed.

I fly SouthWest, out of Pittsburgh, quite a bit.

If I see a low fare, I grab it.

On occaision, I have seen the fare go down.

As was suggested above, I rebook at the lower price and use my credit for a future flight (with in one year of the original booking).

There's never been one to a place where I am interested in flying. I won't say the fares are a "come on", as I am sure many people want to go there. But not me.

Not a "come on" at all. All airlines have fare sales for flights which their yield management system says won't be full at higher prices. So actually, not many other people want to go there either on that date or time...thus the discount!

Just booked flight BWI to LAX for Jan 29, 2014 ( Southwest Wanna Go fare senior at $140 + $12 for Early Bird) perfect time (10 AM to 1PM) then will rest a day in LA and catch the afternoon flight on Air Thaiti Nui to Tahiti and on to Auckland. When March 1 schedule is out, I will buy pretty quick on that for LAX to BWI on March 1. So I don't have one ticket but at least 3 (plus 2 flights in NZ) but I got from Baltimore MD to Christchurch New Zealand for less than $1,850 pp and only one redeye. The 3 nights in Tahiti and the 2 nights in LA are still cheaper than the direct flight on legacy carrier and 30 hours on journey each way.

I followed the advice and fly on Tues Weds, and Sat. avoid Sun, Monday and Friday afternoon. I watch for sales and now that I have made the purchase I will not peek (too often) . We travel as three in our party so saving $800 per person by carefully choosing the flights saves us lots of money so we can go on another trip sooner.

I just love retirement when a 30 day trip is just great!!:D

Archived