Ship Medical Evacuations question

I am curious since i have seen several medical evacuations from cruise ships by the coast guard. Does anyone know if the coast guard bills you from medical rescues at sea???? Just wondering if we need mega dollar coverage on our trip insurance or if the Cruise Care package will work if a medical evac is necessary.

It's VERY expensive to be evacuated from a ship...that's why medical coverage is so important, especially if you are prone to medical issues...older or have existing problems. You will be taken to the nearest facility...and it may not be the best facility.... You need coverage if you aren't 20 and healthy. Even 20 year olds might have issues...but folks over 45- or so should certainly have some kind of coverage.

Edited by cb at sea

I am curious since i have seen several medical evacuations from cruise ships by the coast guard. Does anyone know if the coast guard bills you from medical rescues at sea???? Just wondering if we need mega dollar coverage on our trip insurance or if the Cruise Care package will work if a medical evac is necessary.

To my knowledge, the Coast Guard does not charge for medical evacuations.

The USCG in particular, but any government entity that undertakes a medical evacuation will not charge for their services. Search and Rescue (and medical evacuation is part of this) is part of the USCG's mandate. However, if you need to be flown from a foreign hospital somewhere for more advanced medical help, this will be charged to the patient.

Edited by chengkp75

To my knowledge, the Coast Guard does not charge for medical evacuations.

Bob is probably right.

The expensive part of being taken off a ship in a foreign port is if the injured party has to be returned to the US or other home country by Air Ambulance. Average cost for that is $25K.