Running on the beaches/islands in French Polynesia

azevedan

We will be staying on Moorea for a few days, and then cruising on the Paul Gauguin, visiting Bora Bora, Huahine, Taha'a, and Moorea.

My DH, who loves to run on the beach, asked me whether the beaches on the islands are suitable for running. Any thoughts?

Where we go to the beach, in New England, there are miles and miles of beaches connected, so one can go for a good long run (though I've often said, if a run is 'good', you're not doing it right!)

In general, any thoughts about running on the islands - whether on the beaches, or the roads?

How about the motus? I'm assuming those are pretty small. But can you walk/jog around the whole thing?

Thanks!

We will be staying on Moorea for a few days, and then cruising on the Paul Gauguin, visiting Bora Bora, Huahine, Taha'a, and Moorea.

My DH, who loves to run on the beach, asked me whether the beaches on the islands are suitable for running. Any thoughts?

Where we go to the beach, in New England, there are miles and miles of beaches connected, so one can go for a good long run (though I've often said, if a run is 'good', you're not doing it right!)

In general, any thoughts about running on the islands - whether on the beaches, or the roads?

How about the motus? I'm assuming those are pretty small. But can you walk/jog around the whole thing?

Thanks!

Looking at satellite pictures of Moorea , there doesn't sem to be many sandy beaches . That said there possibly a sandy beach suitable for running near the airport. When I was there in 1978 (I know a long time ago) the sandy (ground coral) where very narrow ( 6 feet wide) with a rock berm at property line.

French Polynesia is a wonderful place, with much to offer. But long, sandy beaches is not on the menu. (At least the parts I've been to.) I've driven around Moorea and Tahiti by car. I've been to a motu on Moorea. I cannot recall any beach suitable for running/jogging. The ones I've seen are relatively small. You could jog from one end to the other in 30 seconds. Maybe the other port stops are different.

I would also not recommend jogging on the main road in Moorea. It is very narrow, and heavily traveled. A jogger on the road would be a hazard.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks!

No beaches or secure paths for running...think water activities.