Email about NCL Kids Club

gaylemh

Did any one else get the email from NCL "Do this, Do that, Do it all"?

When I clicked on the youth program there is nothing about the 2 year olds. It only mentions 3-12 and group sitting for a fee for 2 year olds. I was assured when they changed the kids program there would be a drop off program for the 2 year olds. I even have it in writing from NCL guest services.

You can get to the same information on NCL.com if you click on learn about our cruises and then click on family cruises. It shows the club starting at 3 year olds, but if you click on FAQ it still shows the program starting at 2 with no mention of the new program for 6 month - 2 year olds. I don't think they even know what's going on. :eek

I'm sailing on the Gem in 2 weeks, that's propably why I got the email. It has a countdown of 24 days on it.

This is terrible news for the 2 - 3 year old groups. What is going on? I'm still waiting for some first hand info from the recent Gem cruisers, but so far no one has reported back the changes. If you find out anything more please let us know.

This is terrible news for the 2 - 3 year old groups. What is going on? I'm still waiting for some first hand info from the recent Gem cruisers, but so far no one has reported back the changes. If you find out anything more please let us know.

I've been looking for some recent updates too, but I guess no one is sailing with 2 year olds.

I booked this cruise because they had a 2 year old program. I even called and got an email response in writing that there was going to be a drop off for the 2 year olds. I just hope there will be something during dinner time, so we will be able to have a couple of adult dinners. I plan to bring a copy of the email with me just in case.

I just received an email from NCL.

Not to worry, I just checked with the Kid Program team and your 2 year old will be accepted into the program. We are transitioning into the nursery program gradually; however, in the meantime he will not be turned away and will be able to be dropped off into the program.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I came back from the Gem this Sunday with my 2 year old. There was no change whatsoever yet in the kids' program. So I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for replying. You're the first that has recently cruised that posted any information. What kind of activities did they have for 2 year olds? Were they in the same group as the 5 year olds? Did your child enjoy it?

Hi who did you email to get a response, both I and my travel agent have phoned and emailed NCL about our epic cruise with our 2 yr old and no joy. We booked this cruise for the sole reason he would be able to use this clubs to allow us an adult meal in the evening!

Hi who did you email to get a response, both I and my travel agent have phoned and emailed NCL about our epic cruise with our 2 yr old and no joy. We booked this cruise for the sole reason he would be able to use this clubs to allow us an adult meal in the evening!

I originally called Guest Relations, the number is listed under contact us on NCL.com. I asked them to send me an email confirming what they had said on the phone.

Hi again.

Yes, the 2 year olds were in the same group as the 5 year olds.

As for my daughter, no, she didn't enjoy it! :( We tried the first day, she got in but she started to cry. The counsellor tried to console her, but as my daughter doesn't speak English it didn't work. I didn't want to force her, it was her vacation as well, so we just took her back. But my daughter is very insecure and likes to have me in sight at all times, so I knew it probably wouldn't work.

But every child is different, and most children love kids'club.

Hope it helps!

In today's press release about the "new" kids club program they did give dates when it will be rolled out to each of the ships.

I feel so bad for the people with the 2-3 y/o children. I think NCL is dropping the ball on these families and I hope those of you affected please make it known to NCL. Who knows, maybe they will see the error of their ways and fix the confusion and frustration they have caused.

I love NCL and have been loyal the last few years because my now 8 y/o son absolutely loves the program and it has worked very well for me, but if I booked with information that was changed after my final payment was made and I wasn't getting what I originally paid for I would be livid!

I generally cruise with just myself and my son, so I am paying a full fare for him, not a 3rd or 4th person rate. Oh, I better stop myself as I'm getting angry for all those in this predicament

In today's press release about the "new" kids club program they did give dates when it will be rolled out to each of the ships.

Where did you see the press release with the dates? I had seen one awhile back, and was wondering if it had been changed. The old one had the kids club on the Gem starting a few weeks ago, but from reading post from those that recently came back it seems nothing was changed so far.

I booked back in September mainly because of the 2 year old program for my grandson. The new program was announced just before my final payment, I was assured in writing that there would be a free drop off program for him. I also contacted NCL last week when I saw the new release with grouping starting with the 3-5 year olds, with no mention of the 6month-2 year olds. I was again assured by NCL in writing, that there would be a free drop off program for him. I plan to bring copies of the emails on my cruise in 17 days just in case.

I just paid $1500.00 full fare for my 2 year old grandson.

Very disappointed to hear that the 2 - 3 year olds will be with the six month old babies and that there will not be a drop off program for them. It is extremely unfair for those of us that booked cruises expecting a drop off program to hear of these new changes. We booked three mini-suites for our family cruise with the main reason that our four grandchildren would be together in the 2 - 5 year old group. Now one child will be excluded from the others and this almost three year old will need a parent with him for supervision. Not what we expected when we booked this cruise.

From the NCL press release:

"Splash Academy and Entourage are currently available on Norwegian Gem and are rolling out to all of Norwegian's ships. Launch dates are as follows: Norwegian Jewel on April 21; Norwegian Star on May 6; Norwegian Dawn on May 25; Norwegian Epic on May 27; Norwegian Pearl on June 17; Norwegian Jade on June 30; Norwegian Sky on July 16; Norwegian Sun on July 24; Norwegian Spirit on August 14 and Pride of America on August 25. Norwegian Breakaway launching in April 2013 will also feature the new youth and teen programs."

Now since we just heard that it isn't exactly like that on the GEM yet these dates may be estimates too. We made it under the wire for my 2.5 year old as we are on the EPIC in April but I would be really upset if there were only this available for my 2.5 year old. Way too babyish - wake up NCL 2 year olds go to school or daycare by themselves now!

"Splash Academy also offers activities for cruisers under three and their parents who can enjoy sensory play classes which include baby art featuring "Wee Can Too" organic art products. There are also fun events such as parent and baby "Rhyme Time" where a storyteller recites popular nursery rhymes featuring puppets or "Motion in the Ocean," a parent and baby mini workout."

Very disappointed to hear that the 2 - 3 year olds will be with the six month old babies and that there will not be a drop off program for them. It is extremely unfair for those of us that booked cruises expecting a drop off program to hear of these new changes. We booked three mini-suites for our family cruise with the main reason that our four grandchildren would be together in the 2 - 5 year old group. Now one child will be excluded from the others and this almost three year old will need a parent with him for supervision. Not what we expected when we booked this cruise.

I booked three mini suites for my family too. We leave Easter Sunday. I only have one grandchild, and we were only planning to use the club a couple of times so we could have a nice adult dinner. My grandson is a good kid, but would be a terror sitting through a 2 hour meal. I guess LeBistro is out.:( I'll come back to post to let you know what is going on after my cruise.

Where did you see the press release with the dates? I had seen one awhile back, and was wondering if it had been changed. The old one had the kids club on the Gem starting a few weeks ago, but from reading post from those that recently came back it seems nothing was changed so far.

I booked back in September mainly because of the 2 year old program for my grandson. The new program was announced just before my final payment, I was assured in writing that there would be a free drop off program for him. I also contacted NCL last week when I saw the new release with grouping starting with the 3-5 year olds, with no mention of the 6month-2 year olds. I was again assured by NCL in writing, that there would be a free drop off program for him. I plan to bring copies of the emails on my cruise in 17 days just in case.

I just paid $1500.00 full fare for my 2 year old grandson.

If you haven't found it yet, there is a sticky on the NCL thread that has a link to the NCL press release from 3/22/12. Also you can go on the NCL website and they have updated the family page. that is where I noticed the conflicting information with the 2-3 y/o information.

Good Luck, and keep us posted. It really seems odd that NCL would move "backwards" in their offerings to the 2 and not quite 3 y/o group. Maybe more of an explination will follow soon. We can always hope

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

The full press release can be found here: link.

Yes! They are moving backwards!!! The event in NYC was yesterday with a "big announcement" and I was trying to get clarification all day long when I got the release. And I finally got the news this morning - the 2 year old group has moved back! And it is WITH parents! I am shocked!

...the 2 year old group has moved back! And it is WITH parents! I am shocked!

To be honest, I'm surprised they had 2-5 year olds together for so long. I imagine it was very difficult to find activities that would engage both 2 year olds and 5 year olds. Three to five makes a lot more sense.

However, I feel badly for those who've booked cruises with 2 year olds, and had expected to be able to drop off for mealtimes. Perhaps they'll consider offering dinner time drop off play for 2 year olds, so that their caregivers can enjoy dinner sans kids in the MDR or a specialty restaurant.

Yes! They are moving backwards!!! The event in NYC was yesterday with a "big announcement" and I was trying to get clarification all day long when I got the release. And I finally got the news this morning - the 2 year old group has moved back! And it is WITH parents! I am shocked!

Must say, I am shocked too. I'm very fortunate my son is now 8.

So sorry for all those that will be surprised. There are many people not on cruise critic that will be shocked when they board. I think NCL has set themselves up for some major criticism and a lot of ticked off parents.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the change was made because not many parents of 2 y/o took advantage of the program

If the guest has a 2 year old (based on DOB at time of sailing) –12 year old, the child will be accepted in our complimentary drop off program Splash Academy.

The Under 2 Zoo Program which is a parent interactive program (not a drop off) is also being offered if the guest wants to utilize that program as well. This is a complimentary program but parents are required to attend.

There is additional "new info" on the NCL website added today - under Family Cruising. There is a new section added, Youth Program FAQs. Under the fifth paragraph "What If My Child Is In Diapers", there is a statement that "At this time, we will still allow two years olds into our program". All other sections read dropoff programs for 3 - 5 year olds. Very interesting, don't you think? Now what do they mean by "at this time"? The time frame could mean anything at this point. We need assurances that on our particular cruise they will allow these almost three years olds into the 3 - 5 yo drop off program. It implies to me that it could be changed at any time - tomorrow, next week, next month and the almost threes are still left out.

• 2 weeks later...

FyI - Just in case someone hasn't seen the other postings on this subject...

I spoke with the Fleet Youth Program Supervisor at Corporate Headquarters regarding 2yo in the Kids Program. The info I received is as follows:

1. This is an introduction/transition year and, if you Ship has already undergone the roll-out into the Splash Academy, the Turtle Program (ages 3-5) will be available to 2yo until the program has been fully implemented by the end of this year. All On-Board Ship Youth Activity Coordinators are aware of this.

2. In 2013 the program will be divided as the website states.

3. My understanding is that the expected goal is to have a Nursery environment for children 2yo and under with expected drop-off. As some 2yo need that extra one-on-one nurturing.

4. They currently have a parent interactive Under 2 Zoo Program featuring story telling and painting classes. The 2yo (for this year) will be able to "double-dip" by participating in both the Turtle Program (age 3-5) and the Under 2 Zoo Programs (with Play with Parent).

5. IMPORTANT NOTE: Under the NEW Splash Academy Program the Turtle Program (ages 3-5) is "on the first and last sea day...closed from 5-7pm." So, if your ship has already rolled-in the program, this closing will apply.

6. I was told that a clarification "grandfathering" email would be forthcoming at some point regarding the questions pertaining to 2yo, the New Program and the year 2012 bookings (for which people were counting on there being a program for 2yo).

I hope this helps.

Thankyou so much for that post that really helps, is there a way I could get that in writing as presume that means my 2 yr old will be allowed to use the kids clubs on the epic in oct.

I just got off the Gem today. We had signed my 2 year old grandson up for the kid club, but ended up not using it. The above post is the same thing I was told on the Gem. Kids age 2 will still be accepted in the program until 12/31/12. I was also told that the program for the 6mth - 2 yr program that was due to start this year, is still being worked out.

We planned to use the club to drop off my grandson for a couple of dinners, but ended up taking him with us and it worked out fine. He was great at all the shows also. He loved them. There was a small outbreak of NORO on board, so in the end with over 1,000 kids on board we were glad we didn't use it.

Archived