Carnival Breeze Eastern Video

pyroguy

Here's the video I put together of our families recent cruise on the Carnival Breeze.

I used a Nikon D7000 with a 24-70 f/2.8 lens as well as a GoPro Hero 3 Black with a GoPole and EelVision underwater filters. I also used my new Manfrotto fluid-head monopod thanks to ChesneyGirl for the recommendation :)

Let me know what you think.

Excellent video!!

I've been patiently waiting for your video and hoping you would post before we leave for our cruise this Sunday. I need some fresh ideas and your video definitely gave me some!! :)

What was your set up for being able to capture yourselves on video for the Segway's while still being able to navigate them?

We've been to Grand Turk on previous cruises and went to Jack's Shack. He and his wife are the nicest people. Love their dog too!

Excellent video!!

I've been patiently waiting for your video and hoping you would post before we leave for our cruise this Sunday. I need some fresh ideas and your video definitely gave me some!! :)

What was your set up for being able to capture yourselves on video for the Segway's while still being able to navigate them?

We've been to Grand Turk on previous cruises and went to Jack's Shack. He and his wife are the nicest people. Love their dog too!

Awesome!

For the "selfie" shots on the balcony, snorkeling, jumping in the water, and on the Segway I used my gopro on a GoPole. Using it also gives a stabilizer effect because it changes the center of gravity on that small camera as well.

I also used the GoPole for the high and low angle shots. For the low angle, I flipped the camera upside down. It's pretty easy in post to turn the video right-side-up.

Using the GoPole opened up a whole new range of shots that were previously unavailable. If you're careful, you can make it so you can't see the pole or even your arm holding it.

Have fun, can't wait for your next video! The Breakaway was in port with us in St. Maarten, I got some cool panorama video as we were docked alongside.

Thanks for your reply.

So I assume you were holding the GoPro upside down for at least one of the Segway shots?

Was it hard to hold the gopole and balance/navigate the Segway while it was moving? That's the part that I am unsure about.

The reason for my interest is because my daughter wants to the Segway's. :)

I also really liked the shot of the young boy running up the stairs and you following him. Your footage was very stable. I've tried doing that sort of thing and it usually comes out to shaky.

Really enjoyed your video!

I just showed it to my husband. :)

Yeah, a lot of my gopro shots were upside down. It's not too hard, once you get the hang of a Segway, one- handed operation is pretty simple. This was my second time running one, so I was pretty comfortable. I've got about 2 more hours of that excursion on gopro that didn't even make the video.

The follow as my son was running up the stairs in the water park was one of many that I shot in the park following all the kiddos...his fit the music well at that point In the song so that's the one I used.

As far as the steady, the key is using a GoPro on the GoPole. I actually do have a steady-cam for my GoPro, but the pole does such a great job I left it at home. I explain it like this: imagine the center of gravity of the gopro by itself...and shaking is essentially rotating the camera around the various axes of that COG. Now add a 3' pole to the camera. Where is the COG then? It's much easier to balance and reduce shaking when it's on the pole because the COG is much farther away from the lens. You still have to be careful and have a steady hand while running, going up stairs, etc but it's much easier and better quality with a $30 pole. (Just remember to rinse after salt water...mine has scratched paint around the telescoping joints now).

Oh, another hint: I took all my video at 1080p...but my final cut is rendered at 720p.

On the surface that looks like it's not a good thing, but it looks almost as clear on my 60" screen at home, and offers a big advantage: I can crop the video if needed in post and run Adobe's Warp Stabilizer (if needed) on a clip without sacrificing any reduction in quality. I can also reframe a shot a little better in post if needed. (Like take out that little corner of my backpack that was showing in the Segway clip...that you don't see now).

That's just what I do and have used successfully.

Thank you! Totally entertaining and what made me giggle the most was your son and the dog next to him having a digging contest! Cute :D

Thanks! That was in Grand Turk at Jack's Shack bar on the beach. The dog is Topher - and he has his own following. I even saw a guy with a Topher T-Shirt on while we were there ;)

He likes digging for crabs and swimming with the kids.