DIY Fly Fishing in Roatan

aggie182

I am looking to do some fly fishing on an upcoming December cruise. Ideally, I'd like to research and come up with a solid plan for a walk/wade trip. I am not totally opposed to booking a guide but would love to put in the time to research and come up with a solid plan. Sometimes the research is just as fun as the trip itself and the best gratification is when your plan comes together. I am not picky on species but want to focus on fly fishing only because of the portability of the gear. Has anyone set out on this type of journey? Any direction or advice would be appreciated.

I am looking to do some fly fishing on an upcoming December cruise. Ideally, I'd like to research and come up with a solid plan for a walk/wade trip. I am not totally opposed to booking a guide but would love to put in the time to research and come up with a solid plan. Sometimes the research is just as fun as the trip itself and the best gratification is when your plan comes together. I am not picky on species but want to focus on fly fishing only because of the portability of the gear. Has anyone set out on this type of journey? Any direction or advice would be appreciated.

Have a chat with the people at the Roatan Marine Park, they cane give you all the ins and outs.

I have seen people fishing the flats area of both Sandy Bay and an area near Palmetto Bay.. Sandy Bay would be far easier to access. There may also be a possibility of walking the beach between West End and West Bay while fishing... but ask the Marine Park is that is doable. I would not suggest fishing West Bay do to all the people in the water.

Thanks for the info! Our route runs us through Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize City. I am awaiting approval from the boss (wife) and will begin researching more in depth. I don't want to research and come up with what feels like a solid plan and have the wife shoot it down. In the limited amount of time I have looked around, it feels like Roatan may be the easiest of the 3 for a DIY fishing adventure but I have a lot more reading to do.

• 2 months later...