Nohoch Cay new ownership

calmpets

I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has visited Nohoch Cay both since the change in management and before the change. It was always my favorite spot when Jaime was in charge, and I'm curious if it still has the same vibe. I'm not travelling till April 2017, but I'll probably book my excursions by the year's end, and I'd like to have more info to make my decision. Thanks in advance for your help!

From what I understand, Jaime's departure was more of a business decision.

I know Jaime is working on other options and may show up in another place.

If I hear or he emails me with info, I'll pass it along on this board.

But his partners are still there. Betty, the head waitress, is still there. Recent pictures I've seen seem to indicate that the rest of the staff is still there and people are having a good time.

I do think the package has changed a bit and the AI drinks and foods were limited when we were there just before Jaime left. Before it was practically anything on the menu and what ever the chef could cook up or barkeep make that you wanted.

We're not scheduled to head back on any cruise until later in 2018. And we've gone to NK every time we've been in Costa Maya since Jaime opened it. But if I were going back in the next 3-6 months, I'd head for Tropicante. DW would probably drag me back to NK as long as Betty is still there, LOL.

crewsweeper - many thanks for the info! I'll take a look at Tropicante. Quick question - is tropicante down the far end near Nohoch? One of the things I liked about Nohoch was that they were all the way at the end, and thus not subject to random people selling stuff.

crewsweeper - many thanks for the info! I'll take a look at Tropicante. Quick question - is tropicante down the far end near Nohoch? One of the things I liked about Nohoch was that they were all the way at the end, and thus not subject to random people selling stuff.

I just have to chime in only because you mentioned you liked how Nohoch was at the far end. (We did get plenty of vendors there the day we were there, but was usually reported that the staff shooed them off).

Anyhow, you might be interested in checking out the "other" end...as in by the lighthouse. Very limited traffic and no vendors that way either. The beach is HUGE and plenty of seating with excellent service and we had great food and drinks. Snorkeling was pretty decent too. I have a full review in my signature line (it's called Blue Kay). There's TONS of pictures. Click the link in the signature and give it a minute to load and it will drop you off right at the beginning of the review. :)

Just thought it could be another option for you.

Tropicante is in the middle section of the malecon. Having had many conversations with Steve Uhl over the years and having seen and heard how well his staff operates, my reason for going there is thus more to acknowledge his and their work.

But if you do want to avoid the vendors or have a good day near the end of the malecon, do look into Blue Kay as mitsugirly suggests. There are 2 beach places and one hotel just south of NK before the walking malecon ends. But other than pass by them, I don't have any experience or knowledge of what they offer. I don't think the hotel has day passes (nothing but rooms and the beach) and both the other places were more bar than beach club in use when I've been by them. You can see pictures and a map in my links. Add that to the links and reviews from mitsugirly and you'll have a good overview of Mahahual.

• 9 months later...

So I just got back from my cruise, and wanted to post some follow-up info. Based on the fact that the trip advisor reviews were still consistently good, I decided to go back to Nohoch Kay. If I had never been there before I probably would have enjoyed it more, but as it was I was disappointed. The service was still excellent (Betty greeted us with enthusiasm on our arrival, and Miguel took great care of us all day). However, their old policy of not allowing vendors on their stretch of beach is no longer in place, and I don't enjoy having to turn people down every twenty minutes or so. There was a ton of seagrass, and they did have workers who were removing it, but at a truly glacial pace. Basically they cleared about an eight foot stretch of beachfront in the four hours I was there. The food and drinks were still very good, and they still offer kayaks and such included with your AI rate, but next time I visit Costa Maya I will be trying a different place. I never did meet the new owner. I read beforehand that his name was Junior, but if he was there that day. he did not bother to introduce himself. Anyway, just wanted to provide some feedback for anyone else who might be looking for current info.

Thanks for coming back and reporting. DW will be glad to hear her BFF, Betty is still there. Latest I've heard is that Jamie is looking at one of the other beach clubs there. if I hear where, I'll post back. He does have a venture with the new condos up toward Pez Quadro and supposedly going to manage the kitchen/restaurant there. I would be surprised if it's open for cruisers. But if it comes close to the old place he had in Playa del Carmen years ago, it'd almost be worth missing the ship over.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
So I just got back from my cruise, and wanted to post some follow-up info. Based on the fact that the trip advisor reviews were still consistently good, I decided to go back to Nohoch Kay. If I had never been there before I probably would have enjoyed it more, but as it was I was disappointed. The service was still excellent (Betty greeted us with enthusiasm on our arrival, and Miguel took great care of us all day). However, their old policy of not allowing vendors on their stretch of beach is no longer in place, and I don't enjoy having to turn people down every twenty minutes or so. There was a ton of seagrass, and they did have workers who were removing it, but at a truly glacial pace. Basically they cleared about an eight foot stretch of beachfront in the four hours I was there. The food and drinks were still very good, and they still offer kayaks and such included with your AI rate, but next time I visit Costa Maya I will be trying a different place. I never did meet the new owner. I read beforehand that his name was Junior, but if he was there that day. he did not bother to introduce himself. Anyway, just wanted to provide some feedback for anyone else who might be looking for current info.

Can you comment on the food and loungers etc..? Anything esle in particular you loved or didnt?We were there last year, and are going back in a few weeks. We loved the food...options for kids and vegetarians. Some of their beach chairs seemed pretty old though then...my BIL had a chair collapse which was humorous but could have been dangerous for my MIL! Thanks! Just making sure of our choice to return.

Can you comment on the food and loungers etc..? Anything esle in particular you loved or didnt?We were there last year, and are going back in a few weeks. We loved the food...options for kids and vegetarians. Some of their beach chairs seemed pretty old though then...my BIL had a chair collapse which was humorous but could have been dangerous for my MIL! Thanks! Just making sure of our choice to return.

The food was still very good. They give you a specific menu to select from now, but it had all the basics on it (tacos, quesadillas, chip & guac, etc.) The chairs were those plastic chaise lounges. I had a little trouble getting the backrest to adjust to how I wanted it, and the chairs were set very close together. Close enough that you had to make sure your foot was pointing perfectly straight forward in order to step between them. Not a catastrophe, but if I were guessing I would say they've increased their maximum capacity for reservations. Service was still very good, but the overall vibe just wasn't there for me on this trip. Not bad by any means, but just not as good as previous visits. If you were there for the first time last year, though, you might have been under the new management anyway, in which case it could be exactly as you remember it. My last visit was in 2014.