QM2 - Cunard - Too upmarket?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has sailed on the Queen Mary 2 that have used a room set up for someone with a disability? We have reserved a room leaving in April 2013, room 5223, that leaves from Adelaide, Australia and disembarks in Southampton England. Ive been on two cruises before but am a little concerned that the QM2 might be a little too 'upmarket' for us, so to speak. My main concern is dinner, I dont like to get too dressed up each night, but dont mind getting dressed up every 3rd or 4th night. Tomorrow is my last day to pay the deposit and I am still a little worried. Thanks!

I'm a bit confused here. What does having an accessible cabin have to do with the QM2 being too upmarket? Does your disability preclude you from dressing up formally? Many of us who are disabled have a problem with finding appropriate clothing for formal nights because we may use a wheelchair, or scooter or walker. But we all manage nicely.

Yes, Cunard is a dressier line, than say Carnival, or Royal Caribbean or NCL. But you don't dress up formally every night. Depending on the length of your cruise, it could be as little as 2 nights or as many as 10. The longer the cruise, the more formal nights they have--one to two per week. The rest of the time, you can dress nicely, but not formally. They don't allow shorts or jeans in the main dining room at night, but long slacks, a collared shirt for the men, and a nice pair of slacks and top or casual dress for the women.

It's impossible to tell you if Cunard is too up-market for you personally. But I can tell you a little about them that might help you make a decision.

Evening dress code splits 3 ways and there will be approximately the same number of each theme. The code is nominally enforced in all restaurants, bars, theatre, etc...........

Formal nights are tuxedo and/or evening dress, although gentlemen can get away with a dark suit. There will be a number of themed formal evenings such as "black and white ball" or "masquerade ball" but the majority of people don't bother with the extra dressing up step and just go black tie.

Semi formal is a jacket and tie.

Elegant casual is a jacket, no tie.

Note that gentlemen need a jacket EVERY night, although there is always the option of going and having a pizza in the buffet restaurant if dressed outside the code or else eating in the cabin. It would be a shame though to miss out on what most people find to be a very enjoyable experience.

You also ought to consider how good a line it is for a disabled traveller. Undoubtedly, the age profile is older and more infirm than almost any other line so you would expect provision to be outstanding.

It isn't. There is no on-board disabled coordinator like on some other lines. Wheelchair accessible tours and shuttle buses are rare. There is no wheelchair accessible tender as I believe HAL have, so if you go to a tender port you will be stuck on ship unless you can stand up to make the step on to the launch for your wheelchair to follow. For a voyage last year I was completely underwhelmed by the quality of the pre-cruise disabled support. Ditto for the on board excursions desk on our last voyage.

Having said that, I find Cunard as manageable as any other line so long as you are reasonably pro-active and we thoroughly enjoy voyaging with them.

Becuase of the age profile, there is usually lots to occupy people who are not in the prime of life - you won't find water slides and zip wires but will find lots of enrichment activities. The food is excellent and you don't find yourself under the constant pressure to buy fun cocktails in plastic glasses or cheap gold plated jewellery. Kids tend to be thin on the ground and you won't have a problem getting a seat in one of the bars in the evening. Entertainment is up-market but not high brow. The quality of the theatre company is okay, but not the full-blown Broadway wannabes like on mass market lines.

But if you are more comfortable in shorts and an open-neck shirt, it probably isn't ideal for you.

I agree about the dress code. If you are not comfortable wearing a jacket every evening (I have seen men offered a jacket on formal evenings so that is the minimum) then don't cruise with them. My husband who has MS used to be much more "into" the dress up routine several years ago than he is today--so you need to go with your comfort level there.

Tendering is always a problem cause the QM2 cannot anchor at many ports and they cannot tender you if using a scooter/wheelchair/walker etc. My husband was happy to stay on the ship --we did the Carribean only

Also the QM2 is not as independently accessible as Celebrity where there are automatic doors to everything. We always stayed in 8126 HC Balcony and loved it except there is a difficult balcony door (not a slider). Celebrity S class is far easier to navigate.

That being said, if the QM2 was leaving from Brooklyn to go to the Carribean this winter (except for Christmas) we would be onboard in a flash. I LOVE the QM2!!! Just can't do the flying and the long world cruise segments but I like it so much that I kept my future cruise reservation intact for whenever they want to sail out of NYC to warmer weather in January!

Enjoy and I hope this helps.

Thankyou all for your responses. I am keen to go on this particular trip because of where it goes and when, it has a great intinerary that doesnt come up that often.

Ive looked into the ship a bit further and discovered there are other alternatives for dining rather than having to get dressed up. I dont mind dressing up a few times, but not have it be the norm so to speak.

One other thing I was wondering, I cant ANY disabled toilets in public places on the ship decks, I am assuming that they are there but arent marked, is anyone here able to confirm this who has been on the ship?

THanks

The disabled toilets on Cunard are better and more frequent than I've seen on any other line. I can't speak directly about QM2, but if QE and QV are anything to go by you will find:

• Plenty of disabled toilets in the public areas
  • Automatically opening doors (which are a frustration when you are waiting for them to close behind you)
  • Lots of space inside and a good layout and good quality, slip-resistant handrails
  • Automatic, touch-free taps and soap dispensers
  • General absence of baby changing apparatus and therefore none of the attendant stink that you just can't get out of your nose long after leaving. :rolleyes:

There is an accessible stall in every public bathroom. They don't have separate, dedicated facilities. The stalls are large, easy to maneuver into and out of, and are very accessible. Just be aware of the emergency call button. Some are very easy to set off and if tugged even slightly, it will send security staff running to your assistance.

Archived