Insurance for all parts of the cruise/land vacation?

I have not done the trip-insurance thing before. But our travels are gradually becoming more and more complicated and expensive, and I am thinking maybe I should do it... We are planning a 2-week repositioning cruise, to be followed by a few days on our own in and around the debarkation spot plus a few days on an exotic side trip arranged through a land-based outfit. We will need to fly to the embarkation point. And then we have the flight back home which is maybe a different airline using different port of entry. So, I have 3-4 different service providers plus maybe a few hotels reserved directly.

I can get insurance through Celebrity for the cruise. I can get Delta and/or United trip insurance to cover my flights to and from, I can get insurance through the land-based company. Etc.

Is there anyway to get reasonably comprehensive travel insurance from one source that covers all aspects of the trip? And am I correct in assuming that the cost of one comprehensive package would be less than the sum of the cost of insurance bought through each service provider? Thanks!

Talk with Steve at tripinsurancestore dot com. He is very knowledgeable and will help you understand the ins and outs of travel insurance. Basicly we insure ourselves for medical coverage outside the USA and trip cancellation/trip interuption for medical or family issuses. We insure the part of the trip that are prepaid and non-refundable. We also have coverage in case we need to get home quickly for a family emergency. The last part for us is making our trip insured medical coverage primary coverage if we are traveling outside the USA because Medicare does not cover us then.

Talk with Steve at tripinsurancestore dot com. He is very knowledgeable and will help you understand the ins and outs of travel insurance. Basicly we insure ourselves for medical coverage outside the USA and trip cancellation/trip interuption for medical or family issuses. We insure the part of the trip that are prepaid and non-refundable. We also have coverage in case we need to get home quickly for a family emergency. The last part for us is making our trip insured medical coverage primary coverage if we are traveling outside the USA because Medicare does not cover us then.

Thanks!

There are insurance policies that cover medical and evacuation which in my opinion is all that you really need for a defined period of time as long as you are away from home. That might work for you. We carry a yearly policy that provides just these coverages for about $450 per year. If I have to cancel a trip before leaving or during the trip, those losses are self insured.

DON

We "second" the suggestion to speak with the folks at TripInsuranceStore.com

We've insured trips that include cruises and not.

The type of coverage we get is for all non-refundable costs, and we can "pay as we go", meaning we don't have to estimate up front. As we add non-refundable payments, we up the coverage.

For us, it is essential that we have coverage that does NOT exclude any "pre-existing medical conditions".

That often means there are restrictions on when one must purchase the insurance (or at least start it).

Steve and his staff will help you decide.

And we had a big claim with the very first insured trip, and it was all paid with no fuss.

Our biggest fear is catastrophic medical expenses.

However, it was *very* nice not to need to fret about "all that money wasted" while we were attending to the more critical medical situation.

GeezerCouple