Naples to Pompeii Scavi by train early September

gerrimom

1. Can I buy BOTH the tram and Circumvesuviana train at the Newspaper kiosk

across from cruise terminal.

2. I found a train schedule listing a 839 am and 909 am train leaving Nolano

station. Is this accurate for 9/2016?

3. I understand work stoppages occur? should I consider bus backup and what is the bus schedule?

Regarding the train schedule, the Circumvesuviania Line (it is a private railroad) trains run every 30 minutes (all day long) so no need to worry about the schedule. Just get to the station, buy your ticket, then to the proper track and validate your ticket and hop on the next train. Not sure if the Kiosk at Newspaper Kiosk (across from the port) sells tickets for the Circumvesuviana (they do sell some Trenitalia tickets) but if Euro-Cruiser sees this thread he will have the answer. Strikes are actually pretty rare...and usually announced in advance. Not sure of the bus schedule.

Hank

You should be able to buy one ticket that is good for both the tram and the train. This post explains what ticket you need to buy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50335406&postcount=7

I've been able to purchase it at the kiosk, but that's not to say they always have them without fail. It is southern Italy, after all. ;)

As Hank says, the Circumvesuviana trains run with pretty good frequency. If by 'work stoppages' you mean strikes, then know that strikes on this line are not very frequent. (Indeed, neither are Trenitalia strikes, despite the urban myths...) On the other hand, the trains may not run exactly on schedule to the minute either.

Edited by cruisemom42

Yes the newsstand sells a combined ticket which covers the tram and the Circumvesuviana . Earlier this month a one way to Herculaneum was 2.50€. Pompei is slightly higher. I suggest buying your return at the same time. You validate your ticket on the first vehicle you take so you will do it on the tram in Naples and on the train on your return. Remember this is basically an urban commuter train so cars are not fancy. Advantage of Porta Nolano over Garibaldi is that you are at beginning of line and more likely to get a seat.

By the way if it is very busy this is a line notorious for pickpockets so do pay attention to your surroundings

The bus departs from the SITA depot at Piazza Immacolatella, about a third of a mile further down the port from the cruise port.

SITA has a ticket office there where you can buy your tickets.

Schedule here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/88590e19-808a-4031-bedc-9c56315a5178_5001.pdf/0