Dunns River Falls

hgorski

Hello! We will be coming to Falmouth end of September with RoyalCaribbean. We would like to go see the falls, but we're unsure if we should book an excursion with Royal, or just take a cab there. Any suggestions? How much would cab fare be? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is quite expensive. But, in my opinion, you will have a totally different experience if you go with a private driver. We use Noel "Steve" Smith - noelsmith66@yahoo.com. He is an awesome guy and you will feel very safe with him. The river tubing is also really fun. Lunch at Scotchies-jerk chicken and pork- is YUMMY!

Last time, Steve took us tubing first. Then, we went to Dunns River Falls - arrived just as all the massive tour buses were leaving. We had the falls practically to ourselves. We climbed on our own - no guide. The kids climbed up and down lots of different ways. We took tons of photos under the different falls and in the pools. The time you arrive makes all the difference. With the ship tours and even most of the private companies, you will be on the falls with a CROWD of people(just google the photos). If you go with a private driver - it will cost more, but you will have a totally different experience.

We've done the falls 4 times, I would only recommend a group tour of any kind only if your budget absolutely cannot allow a little more for a private driver. You will have a great day with Steve!

Dunn's River Fall is in Ocho Rios which is about 50min to 1hour from Falmouth. My reco having been there in 2011. Do a private tour and get their early. Make it the first thing you do so you can truly enjoy the experience. The later you arrive the busier it will be.

The later you arrive the busier it will be.

Sorry, but IME I'd have to disagree, especially if there is a ship in Ocho. With a ship in Ocho, all their tours tend to go to DRF first making the place crazy as most tours do one climb then back on the bus to the next stop - ensuring everyone is ready to hit the lunch and libation places later. I always go on my own and a little later when the cruise tours have left and we have the place almost to our selves

Quite consistent with #1travelmom above:

Then, we went to Dunns River Falls - arrived just as all the massive tour buses were leaving. We had the falls practically to ourselves. We climbed on our own - no guide. The kids climbed up and down lots of different ways. We took tons of photos under the different falls and in the pools. The time you arrive makes all the difference.

.. traveling from Falmouth you aren't going to be there at opening in any case tho ... and I'm gonna guess that a far smaller percentage of the ship is gonna go to DRF as compared to a ship visiting Ocho ....

(unsolicited 2 cents - I've been to DRF many times since the 80's due to many work visits to Ocho over the years. I would not tell a friend visiting Falmouth (or MB) that it was worth the cost and time of the ride to get there .... alto the ride on Jamaican roads can be an adventure on its own!)

We are booked with Courtney Taylor tours. We have river tubing and dunns river planned. Our itinerary says we will go tubing first and then the falls. Hopefully it quiets down by then. There is also a beach and lunch stop scheduled. This is my husbands first time to Jamaica and he is looking forward to the falls.