Argentine-Antarctic route - excursion photo-ops?

GottaKnowWhen

I will be on the Infinity 1 Feb headed south. Three ports-of-call where I tours arranged for each; Ushuaia, Port Stanley, and Puerto Madryn. All three tours have some variation on the theme "walk with the penguins."

I am a relative newbie at this cruise line shore tour business and have not been on one like these with opportunities for wildlife shots; my prior tour experience is with Scenic and/or Cultural themes.

All other things equal, if I were on my own, I would be carrying a tripod and wide angle and mid-length telephoto lenses for my cameras. E.g., A 24mm for one, a 28mm for the other, a 70-200mm + 1.4x extender for one, a 90mm and a 160mm +2.0x extender for the other. [The two bodies are a Pentax APS-C and a Pentax medium format; all lens descriptions have been "translated" to 35mm equivalents.]

So, two primary questions. Is wildlife viewing on a cruise tour like these likely to give me reasonable photo ops? Will I have time to set up, compose, etc. or should I ditch the tripod and plan on quick snapshots? And specifically as far as these wildlife are concerned, will I be getting up close and personal with the penguins? Shorter lenses called for? Or mid-to-long tele's?

Thanks for any insights!

I will be on the Infinity 1 Feb headed south. Three ports-of-call where I tours arranged for each; Ushuaia, Port Stanley, and Puerto Madryn. All three tours have some variation on the theme "walk with the penguins."

I am a relative newbie at this cruise line shore tour business and have not been on one like these with opportunities for wildlife shots; my prior tour experience is with Scenic and/or Cultural themes.

All other things equal, if I were on my own, I would be carrying a tripod and wide angle and mid-length telephoto lenses for my cameras. E.g., A 24mm for one, a 28mm for the other, a 70-200mm + 1.4x extender for one, a 90mm and a 160mm +2.0x extender for the other. [The two bodies are a Pentax APS-C and a Pentax medium format; all lens descriptions have been "translated" to 35mm equivalents.]

So, two primary questions. Is wildlife viewing on a cruise tour like these likely to give me reasonable photo ops? Will I have time to set up, compose, etc. or should I ditch the tripod and plan on quick snapshots? And specifically as far as these wildlife are concerned, will I be getting up close and personal with the penguins? Shorter lenses called for? Or mid-to-long tele's?

Thanks for any insights!

Our trip to Antarctica was an expedition so I can't help you with these shore excursion questions, but if you haven't already done so, I think it would be a good idea for you to also post your questions on the Ports of Call/South America board as well as on the Celebrity board, where you'll find folks who have taken this cruise (or others like it) and visited these ports. (You may also find helpful info just by doing a search on the South American board.)

From my experience with shore excursions generally (again, not the ones you are taking), I suspect you will not get much use out of your tripod.

I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Our trip to Antarctica was an expedition so I can't help you with these shore excursion questions, but if you haven't already done so, I think it would be a good idea for you to also post your questions on the Ports of Call/South America board as well as on the Celebrity board, where you'll find folks who have taken this cruise (or others like it) and visited these ports. (You may also find helpful info just by doing a search on the South American board.)

From my experience with shore excursions generally (again, not the ones you are taking), I suspect you will not get much use out of your tripod.

I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Thank you! I did find and read a few days ago the thread you started on the way into your expedition and found some useful comments there. And I've been all over the various excursion reports for my destinations. Unfortunately I haven't found any one that speaks to photography in particular. Some comments about "I got some great shots" or "you are supposed to stay back but they wander across the path right in front of you..." which are tantalizing but not too helpful in trying to plan the tour-days configuration of my backpack. I will have the tripod with me in any case, for post-cruise days in Iguazu. But carrying it on the excursions would call for a different set of lenses and a different mindset. Unless a strong chorus of experienced voices joins in on your recommendation to forget the tripod, I'll probably have it along at least on the first excursion.

Thanks again.

Thank you! I did find and read a few days ago the thread you started on the way into your expedition and found some useful comments there. And I've been all over the various excursion reports for my destinations. Unfortunately I haven't found any one that speaks to photography in particular. Some comments about "I got some great shots" or "you are supposed to stay back but they wander across the path right in front of you..." which are tantalizing but not too helpful in trying to plan the tour-days configuration of my backpack. I will have the tripod with me in any case, for post-cruise days in Iguazu. But carrying it on the excursions would call for a different set of lenses and a different mindset. Unless a strong chorus of experienced voices joins in on your recommendation to forget the tripod, I'll probably have it along at least on the first excursion.

Thanks again.

Most of your wildlife shots on land will be grab shots at reasonably close range. You will not have time to set up your tripod or even change your lens.

DON

Most the penguin shots can be very close (like at your feet) and I agree...no tripod necessary...just increase the speed and you're fine. For Iguazu, I did use a tripod a few times, but more than that you will need a rain cape for the camera! Most view spots were quite wet.

I used 70-200 for penguins as well as 24-105 for scenery.

Photos are in 2012 Travel of my smugmug site that will give you an idea of photo ops.

Most the penguin shots can be very close (like at your feet) and I agree...no tripod necessary...just increase the speed and you're fine. For Iguazu, I did use a tripod a few times, but more than that you will need a rain cape for the camera! Most view spots were quite wet.

I used 70-200 for penguins as well as 24-105 for scenery.

Photos are in 2012 Travel of my smugmug site that will give you an idea of photo ops.

Thank you! Both for your comments and for the photos which help give us a better idea of the conditions we'll encounter.