Royal Kid/s Program and Autism

JordanLovesCruisin

Hello!

We are Going on Allure in two weeks. My three year old has sensory processing disorder, has a speech delay and ASD. He is 100% potty trained when it comes to #1. He sometimes still has accidents in regards to #2.

I saw that Royal's 3-5 year old program must be 100% potty trained and free of training pants. Does this mean that he cannot use the program? We are working SO hard on getting him to communicate all the time about his need to use the restroom for that matter. Some days are good, some days are bad. He will be out of his routine so I am worried he will not be allowed to play.

Any insight? Thanks!

Hopefully someone here will know, but I'd email the special needs department. I'd ask if it would be possible to get a beeper so you can change your child in case of an accident. That's how ncl handles kids not fully potty trained - one parent always needs to be on the ship to answer the beeper. Normally rcl will not allow this, but with your child's disabilities it might be worth contacting them ahead of time to find out if they make exceptions for kids with disabilities.

That's what I'd do, too....contact "special needs". Kids....all kids....have accidents! It's really only if it's an "all the time" occurrence that they will have an issue with it. Parents of YOUNG kids can get pagers.

And, in the meantime, keep track of his "bathroom" times...you may be able to plan some "down" time, to accommodate him without him needing to tell you verbally!

If rcl can't help you, please note for the future that carnival and Cunard will change diapers, and ncl will let your child go to the kids club and message you on a beeper they give you when your child needs to be changed.

Edited by kitkat343

Hello!

We are Going on Allure in two weeks. My three year old has sensory processing disorder, has a speech delay and ASD. He is 100% potty trained when it comes to #1. He sometimes still has accidents in regards to #2.

I saw that Royal's 3-5 year old program must be 100% potty trained and free of training pants. Does this mean that he cannot use the program? We are working SO hard on getting him to communicate all the time about his need to use the restroom for that matter. Some days are good, some days are bad. He will be out of his routine so I am worried he will not be allowed to play.

Any insight? Thanks!

Contact the special needs department. Royal Caribbean does make an exception on potty training for children with disabilities. Here is a link to the information:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

They will give you a pager so if he is having any issues, they can contact you.

Aww, I was hoping we would be on the same cruise! I also have a preschooler on the autism spectrum but we're sailing the week after you. Definitely give the Special Needs folks a call. Royal offers several autism friendly services that I was completely unaware of until I called them. The rep I spoke with was very nice. Hope you have a great cruise!

Aww, I was hoping we would be on the same cruise! I also have a preschooler on the autism spectrum but we're sailing the week after you. Definitely give the Special Needs folks a call. Royal offers several autism friendly services that I was completely unaware of until I called them. The rep I spoke with was very nice. Hope you have a great cruise!

Oh my gosh this makes me want to switch weeks so B could have a friend! I did indeed email them and got a wonderful response. I hope you and your sweet kiddo have a wonderful time.

• 4 weeks later...

How did things go for both of you that went on Allure with children on Autism spectrum? I have a "quirky ADD/ADHD combined type" son that we are taking on Brilliance and was wondering if I should say anything or see how it goes. He has some things that are similar to autism spectrum but his doctor says "quirky" at this time.