clipper cruising with mobility problems

skoozie

We have always wanted to sail on one of these ships. We had hoped to spend our wedding anniversary aboard but sadly my husband had a stroke:eek:

Anyway he has recovered now and is back at work but he has been left with residual disability. His left arm doesn't work too well and his walking is very slow with a stick. He can do stairs at his own pace. He refuses to accept he is disabled and won't use a wheelchair although he will have to at airports as will not be able to manage the miles of walking.

We have cruised before on bigger ships so reckon he would be ok on those but we want to go on a sailing ship before it is too late. He realises he may not be able to go ashore very much as tender transfers will be difficult and wants me to go alone,although hopefully some of the destinations will moor at the port.

So my questions are,

Do you think he can manage on the ship eg are there any twisty type stairs, is everything fairly close together and would I feel ostracised going on trips by myself.

Many thanks for any info.

We (full mobility) have sailed on the Clippers several times - in calm and very windy conditions - the latter producing some significant ship movement when at sea. Let's take the easy answer first - NO, you would not feel ostracised by going on trips by yourself

There are some straight stairs and some turning stairs - both with handrails.

Your husband seems very determined - good! A few years ago on one of our trips some crew members told us "we have never failed yet" i.e. in getting passengers with limited mobility on/off the ship.

My "Yes" or "No" inclination tends towards "Yes" in favour of your husband's "can do" approach. Suggest, however, you telephone Starclippers directly at Ipswich on 0845 200 6145. and discuss it with them. If that is not the most appropriate number they will be able to place your call appropriately.

Whilst not quite the same thing, the oldest passenger we have heard of on the Clippers was 104 and the oldest couple we have met were 100 and 97 (the 100 year old needed a bit of help in getting around). There are also younger passengers too!!!

Part of me says I hope you will go and, if you do, have a really superb dream holiday.

• 4 months later...

Go for it. Your husband will have plenty of help from the crew and you two would really will love it. IF however you cruised by yourself, you'd have plenty of company. But I say, if your hubby is up for the trip, then go for it.

Just my opinion but I would contact Star Clippers and be very honest with them regarding your husband's physical condition. They must have experience with persons who want to cruise and have certain disabilities. I would let their experience be you and your husband's guide in this matter.

Like I said - just my opinion.

I was on the Star Clipper, December 10th, Treasure Islands. Every stop was a tender.

The stairwell going down to the tender was narrow and not real stable.

If you are thinking about doing a cruise, I would definitely see if they have any itineraries that do actually dock at some ports.

As far as on the ship, that shouldn't be too much of a problem because the ships are small.

I would pick a cabin on the same deck as the dining room. That way, he is only going up and down 1 flight of stairs.

Remember too, that there isn't a lot of activity on the ship, so if he is left on the ship all the time, he will have to keep himself entertained.

I don't mean to be a downer on your idea. But, when I was on the ship, I did keep thinking to myself that someone with any kind of mobility issues would certainly have problems on a ship and cruise like this.

Maybe the Royal Clipper would be a better option ? I don't know

much about it, but it is bigger and newer.

Maybe the Royal Clipper would be a better option ? I don't know

much about it, but it is bigger and newer.

I don't think it will be much better, the real mobility problem is the access to the decks and, thus, tenders, etc. Every doorway has a raised sill which you have to step over. This could get tiring over the course of a voyage.

The stairs tend to be straight, if steep in some areas, and the main access to the two tier Dining Room is via a curved staircase. Also, in the Dining Room the buffets for both breakfast and lunch are in the central well and require one to go down a further short set of steps.

I am sure the crew would do all they can to help you, but I have to say that these are not really ideal ships for those with mobility issues.

As far as going solo on trips is concerned, this would be no problem at all. We have met several solo travellers on the Royal and they have all played a full part in the ship's activities with out any issues.

Archived