RCL Allure - Can my 8yr Old enjoy Massage?

rubysasha

We are sailing on Allure in a Week (so excited!) - my daughter is 8 and loves her pampering time on a cruise! She has been able to get a massage on a cruise ship before when she was younger, but I can't remember which ship it was - NCL, RCL or Carnival.

So - does anyone know if RCL allure will allow 8yr old to get a massage?:confused:

I'm not sure which line, but I have seen spa menus for teens (pretty sure it was teens & not children) on some ships. From what I recall it mainly included nail & facial treatments. Quite honestly, I would not be surprised if they don't allow it for liability purposes (maybe they would as long as a parent is in the room).

On the Vitality Spa Price List that we got on the Grandeur, they had a section called TEEN AND KID SPA, and under this area there was a Mother/Daughter Paradise Massage for 50 minutes.

There are no ages listed for this, but it is worth asking when you get on board...

We are sailing on Allure in a Week (so excited!) - my daughter is 8 and loves her pampering time on a cruise! She has been able to get a massage on a cruise ship before when she was younger, but I can't remember which ship it was - NCL, RCL or Carnival.

So - does anyone know if RCL allure will allow 8yr old to get a massage?:confused:

Sorry... but your 8 year old DD has gotten massages at an even younger age :confused: ...A little strange to me...but I might be old fashioned in my thinking and perhaps it's more common than I realize with some kids today.

Sorry... but your 8 year old DD has gotten massages at an even younger age :confused: ...A little strange to me...but I might be old fashioned in my thinking and perhaps it's more common than I realize with some kids today.

My 9 year old would LOVE one ;) Have I paid for one - no. She can get massages when she is old enough to pay for her own. Would I judge THIS family for paying for one - not for an instant. Everyone's family budget is set up differently. :)

Edited by crusinmama06

My 9 year old would LOVE one ;) Have I paid for one - no. She can get massages when she is old enough to pay for her own. Would I judge THIS family for paying for one - not for an instant. Everyone's family budget is set up differently. :)

No need to turn my question regarding massages for children under 8 yrs old (:confused:) into a statement of "judgement" :)

As a baby I gave my daughter massages then snuggled her in a warm towel. At 2 years old she could not say massage so she would ask for a 'samage'. At 15 we we still get massage on vacations and at home. She loves them and we look forward to it. If I can only afford an hour I split it with her. She still gets her 'samage' from and warm towel from me:D

Enjoy!

Edited by Blk_Amish

As a baby I gave my daughter massages then snuggled her in a warm towel. At 2 years old she could not say massage so she would ask for a 'samage'. At 15 we we still get massage on vacations and at home. She loves them and we look forward to it. If I can only afford an hour I split it with her. She still gets her 'samage' from and warm towel from me:D

Enjoy!

When "parents" are giving the massages that's one thing but getting them from a professional for an under 8 year old...that was my question :confused:...Sorry I'm just an older baby boomer so not from this new generation and new way of thinking :o:)

When "parents" are giving the massages that's one thing but getting them from a professional for an under 8 year old...that was my question :confused:...Sorry I'm just an older baby boomer so not from this new generation and new way of thinking :o:)

I have to admit, I too thought it was odd for an 8 YO to get a professional massage and was equally surprised they were offered on board. Sure, I've given my kids many a back rub but my hands were roaming their little bodies with love because I love doing it but more as a soothing my child thing. Like Ashland, my thoughts were .... would I really like some adult rubbing my little ones that way. I guess I'm old school too.

A different way of being, that's all. The PROFESSIONAL does a better job than I ever could. I am proud of the young lady my daughter (15 yrs old) is so I can assume this has helped and not hurt her. I am not a prude (not implying anyone is) so I don't have that kind of 'concern' when I am there and a professional is involved. I take them for a physical at a doctor, no concern about the doctor seeing them that way. I think an eleven year old can request to see the doctor without the parent in the room. Leaving them to hang out in the teen club is another issue.

Professional + parent present = bonding moment!

Edited by Blk_Amish

A different way of being, that's all. The PROFESSIONAL does a better job than I ever could. I am proud of the young lady my daughter (15 yrs old) is so I can assume this has helped and not hurt her. I am not a prude (not implying anyone is) so I don't have that kind of 'concern' when I am there and a professional is involved. I take them for a physical at a doctor, no concern about the doctor seeing them that way. I think an eleven year old can request to see the doctor without the parent in the room. Leaving them to hang out in the teen club is another issue.

Professional + parent present = bonding moment!

Comparing this to a doctors checkup really isn't the same thing :confused: Not only that but highly doubt any 11 year old can or would request to see the doctor "alone" :confused:

Again we're from a different generation that's for sure :)

Comparing this to a doctors checkup really isn't the same thing :confused: Not only that but highly doubt any 11 year old can or would request to see the doctor "alone" :confused:

Again we're from a different generation that's for sure :)

Actually they can and at times for good reasons but besides the point and a different story. You will be surprise what the law gives kids the right to do:eek:Yes different generation, not better or worse just different. My mother thinks I waste my money on my kids with travel. I should be saving for my retirement.

She enjoys the massage and we do it as a treat.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I am sure that I am wrong but something is being implied that's beyond me. Speaking from experience, there is a big difference between massaging hands and roaming hands. I have had many massages but only one set of roaming hands in 20 years. Be it from me or a professional masseuse, no roaming hands for my daughter. My niece needed massages as physical therapy, no roaming hands.

Yes, like many others things maybe she should be paying for it, along with the car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I am sure that I am wrong but something is being implied that's beyond me. Speaking from experience, there is a big difference between massaging hands and roaming hands. I have had many massages but only one set of roaming hands in 20 years. Be it from me or a professional masseuse, no roaming hands for my daughter. My niece needed massages as physical therapy, no roaming hands.

Yes, like many others things maybe she should be paying for it, along with the car.

Sorry, but now you just seem paranoid with that statement...Just innocent questions and comments on my part..No judgement implied and none needs to be taken...:)

Sorry, but now you just seem paranoid with that statement...Just innocent questions and comments on my part..No judgement implied and none needs to be taken...:)

Lol,

OK agreed

Edited by Blk_Amish

Sorry. I'm with the old-fashioned people who don't think a massage for an 8-year old on a ship is a good idea.

I don't deny that the child may have experienced comfort and pleasure from a massage in the past.

I don't deny that roaming hands are unusual during a massage.

But:

• Can you absolutely guarantee that someone you have never met will behave professionally with a child, and not have roaming hands?
  • Would your child be able to get help or call a halt in the (admittedly unlikely) event that she was made to feel uncomfortable during the massage?

I know the risk is slight, but I would not be taking that risk.

If the cruise ship allowed it, the only way a child of mine would have a massage would be with me standing right there beside her.

Sorry. I'm with the old-fashioned people who don't think a massage for an 8-year old on a ship is a good idea.

I don't deny that the child may have experienced comfort and pleasure from a massage in the past.

I don't deny that roaming hands are unusual during a massage.

But:

• Can you absolutely guarantee that someone you have never met will behave professionally with a child, and not have roaming hands? NO, but that goes for the childcare
  • Would your child be able to get help or call a halt in the (admittedly unlikely) event that she was made to feel uncomfortable during the massage?

YES, the tables are set up beside each other

I know the risk is slight, but I would not be taking that risk. - The risk is small, smaller than other situations we place or kids in everyday like sleep over at a friends house

If the cruise ship allowed it, the only way a child of mine would have a massage would be with me standing right there beside her. - you would be on the table next to her

Do you ever use the child care on a cruise or on vacation? How easy would it for a care giver to do something inappropriate, repeatedly. For this reason I never used childcare before my kids were fully able to communicate and I checked in often. No, I can't absolutely guarantee that the second my child is out of my care at home or on vacation, evil won't rare its' ugly head. I am sure you wouldn't leave your child in the childcare for the same reason, professionals who could cross lines, correct? With the massage they are still in my care, so to speak.

However, you are doing this together two tables next to each other. There is no way on God's green earth I am paying for my child to get a massage without having one myself, same time and place. If the masseuse is female is there a concern she is gay with roaming hands? Is there an assumption the masseuse is male or this concern goes for both sexes?

Edited by Blk_Amish

Do you ever use the child care on a cruise or on vacation? How easy would it for a care giver to do something inappropriate, repeatedly. For this reason I never used childcare before my kids were fully able to communicate and I checked in often. No, I can't absolutely guarantee that the second my child is out of my care at home or on vacation, evil won't rare its' ugly head. I am sure you wouldn't leave your child in the childcare for the same reason, professionals who could cross lines, correct? With the massage they are still in my care, so to speak.

However, you are doing this together two tables next to each other. There is no way on God's green earth I am paying for my child to get a massage without having one myself, same time and place. If the masseuse is female is there a concern she is gay with roaming hands? Is there an assumption the masseuse is male or this concern goes for both sexes?

She's your child and the choice is yours. If you will be on the table next to hers, then that would probably be OK. I'd still be standing up and overseeing the massage though.

All I can say is that the workers in the child care centres on a cruise ship are carefully vetted, to check that they are safe with children. Do you think the masseuses are, too? What's more, workers in the child care centre on a ship are not allowed to toilet the children or see them in any state where they are not fully clothed. Whereas, when a massage is being given, your child will not be fully clothed.

I think that's the part that I feel uncomfortable about. Somehow, exposing my child's body to the touch of a stranger just does not feel right to me, unless it's necessary for the sake of her health. YMMV.

And yes, same sex molestation does occur. Don't confuse being gay with paedophilia, though.

I agree that you can't guarantee that your child will not be assaulted during a sleepover. But you, presumably, know the family and would have some sort of long-term comeback if anything unsavoury did occur.

She's your child and the choice is yours. If you will be on the table next to hers, then that would probably be OK. I'd still be standing up and overseeing the massage though.

All I can say is that the workers in the child care centres on a cruise ship are carefully vetted, to check that they are safe with children. Do you think the masseuses are, too? What's more, workers in the child care centre on a ship are not allowed to toilet the children or see them in any state where they are not fully clothed. Whereas, when a massage is being given, your child will not be fully clothed.

I think that's the part that I feel uncomfortable about. Somehow, exposing my child's body to the touch of a stranger just does not feel right to me, unless it's necessary for the sake of her health. YMMV.

And yes, same sex molestation does occur. Don't confuse being gay with paedophilia, though.

I agree that you can't guarantee that your child will not be assaulted during a sleepover. But you, presumably, know the family and would have some sort of long-term comeback if anything unsavoury did occur.

Sadly , many are from countries where records and crimes are not reported especially against woman and children. I know this for a fact because I am from one of those countries. I continue to work with different agencies and shelters. Reporting continues to be one of the biggest problem and struggle. No, I do not leave my young child in the care of anyone I did not personally check out and investigate. You can't vett what's not reported and therefore I don't trust these workers with my young children. My rule, I don't trust anyone with my young children that I wouldn't trust with a million dollars in small bills. I don't leave my young kids anywhere I wouldn't leave a million dollars in small bills. As they get older the currency changes, then they go off to college with the million dollars!

For me and mine, I am more concern about sleepovers and childcare than someone giving my child a massage while I am a few feet away. I understand, the whole touchy thing, safe or not, could be weird for some people.

Edited by Blk_Amish

You're obviously a careful mother. I respect your different experience.

Interestingly, my own granddaughters are currently living in India, a country that has become (unfortunately) notorious recently for crimes against women.