Royal Princess Reserved Cabin

Disney Di

We booked a cruise a few months ago but could only reserve a cabin. Since then, I have seen that you can now choose your cabin when booking for the same cruise. I do understand about reserving cabins and Princess choosing the best available cabin for you nearer the time, but I am still very worried that we won't get what we booked. I have booked mid-forward & middle decks. There is now only one cabin left in the category we've booked. When that goes, what happens? A free upgrade? Within the mid-forward, middle decks section?

It sounds as if you booked a GTY at a time cabins in the category you wanted were not available.

If there is a cabin available now in the category you booked, call your Travel Agent (or Princess if you booked without using a TA) and have that cabin assigned to you.

Edited by caribill

I telephoned them and they said: Nearer to the cruise (it's still 110 days to go) if all cabins have been booked in the category that I have booked and paid for, the next grade cabin will be allocated to you. It assume this then is a free upgrade from DB- Deluxe Balcony to MB-Mini Suite? We'll see!! Still worried about I though. Incidentally, what is a GTY?

I telephoned them and they said: Nearer to the cruise (it's still 110 days to go) if all cabins have been booked in the category that I have booked and paid for, the next grade cabin will be allocated to you. It assume this then is a free upgrade from DB- Deluxe Balcony to MB-Mini Suite? We'll see!! Still worried about I though. Incidentally, what is a GTY?

It's a guarantee. This is what it sounds like you booked by not choosing the exact cabin you wanted at the time of booking. A guarantee is that you will get a cabin in the catagory you booked, or better. Never look for better, because you may not get it.

When you book a GTY the only thing that's guaranteed is the category you booked or better. However, it's left up to Princess as to what is "better" and sometimes, that's not the case. It's a crapshoot. You may be upgraded or not. Most upgrades are the same cabin type in a different location. Marina deck is considered better as it's higher but having had a cabin on Marina last October, I would never, ever book a cabin on that deck again.

It's a guarantee. This is what it sounds like you booked by not choosing the exact cabin you wanted at the time of booking. A guarantee is that you will get a cabin in the category you booked, or better. Never look for better, because you may not get it.

I telephoned them and they said: Nearer to the cruise (it's still 110 days to go) if all cabins have been booked in the category that I have booked and paid for, the next grade cabin will be allocated to you.

Still, I cannot understand why they would not change the GTY to an assigned cabin in that category when the OP asked for that.

Like Keith, I have booked a GTY only once and that's because it was the only option available if I wanted to take the cruise. Otherwise, I would never book a GTY. I get much better pricing and the cabin I want by booking well in advance and using a good TA.

Edited by Pam in CA