Transportation to/from Wembley for a sold-out concert

I know this really doesn't have much to do with cruising, but I have always found your info to be spot on and very informative.

We get off our 11 night DCL cruise and head to London for a week. During our stay, we will going to see Ed Sheeren at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, July 11.

All I hear is about how crowds and traffic around the stadium are terrible. I will be traveling with my 2 children ages 13 and 8 to/from 40 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R 6AG.

Any advice on our best route on the tube? How long will it take to get home…getting there seems to take about an hour.

Any suggestions on perhaps hiring a car/driver for the night? The prices seem outrageous!

Are taxis readily available after a concert like this?

Many thanks!!

I know this really doesn't have much to do with cruising, but I have always found your info to be spot on and very informative.

We get off our 11 night DCL cruise and head to London for a week. During our stay, we will going to see Ed Sheeren at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, July 11.

All I hear is about how crowds and traffic around the stadium are terrible. I will be traveling with my 2 children ages 13 and 8 to/from 40 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R 6AG.

Any advice on our best route on the tube? How long will it take to get home…getting there seems to take about an hour.

Any suggestions on perhaps hiring a car/driver for the night? The prices seem outrageous!

Are taxis readily available after a concert like this?

Many thanks!!

Your best bet is probably on the Tube.

You'd need to cross the river to 'London Bridge' Underground station and then get the Jubilee Line all the way up to 'Wembley Park'. Once you exit the station it's impossible to miss the Stadium. Yes, there will be crowds, as there'll probably be around 60-70,000 fans attending the concert. This is a regular occurrence for football, rugby matches and pop concerts. The Police have it well marshalled.

Photos below are looking at the stadium from the underground and vice versa.

P8250152.JPG

P8250148.JPG

As you can see from Newport Dave's excellent photos, Wembley (like many other UK sports and concert venues) is in a built up area, hence the traffic nightmares. It does have the advantage of being served by several railway and underground lines calling at different stations.

Getting there by taking the Jubilee from London Bridge as suggested won't be a problem. You'll need more patience afterwards, but the same route is best. Just remember On the way out that it's Wembley Park station you need (not Stadium or Central) and follow the obvious signposting. It may not be the route you took in.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Your best bet is probably on the Tube.
I agree.

From the point of view of a Londoner who normally drives everywhere at the weekend, including into the city centre, I would not dream of going anywhere near this concert by road if the Tube is a viable option.

I travel through Wembley Park every day. It has been rebuilt in the last few years to deal with the crowds from the stadium. There will be LOTS of people at 'chuck-out' (bit like a cruise ship at times;))

The Metropolitan line also runs through Wembley Park so there may be other options there as well e.g. Met line to Finchley Road or Baker Street and then change to the Jubilee line - this might disperse the crowds a bit.

Actually, Met line to Finchley Road is a smart move: it's quicker and many Jubilee Line trains start from Willesden Green towards Stratford so there will be more trains.

Taking a taxi is lunacy BTW.