transportation in Freeport

wreglechick

My husband is not in love with the idea of taking a van or taxi to the Grand Lucayan. When I showed him how much money we would save going on our own vs. the cruise lines excursion he was still skeptical. He is worried we are going to get taken advantage of or worse. Can an experienced Bahama vacationer give me some advice to soothe his nerves?:confused:

The vans are INSIDE the PORT fence so they are all registered with the Port and Tourist board!! You will Love the Grand Luycaian--I still say this was the Best $15 I have ever spent--Beach chairs-cascading pools--swim up bar Hot tub hammock.

The vans all go to the same area-cruise lines and regular-- Husband SAVE the $$ buy another cocktail at resort. They only take credit cards for the drinks.

Get a return ticket===roundtrip +$10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamscckmc View Post

Do you have to arrange ahead of time to go to the grand Lucayan? Are there umbrella included?

Real easy--very Safe!! $10 total for trip and return trip. Get some soda sandwich and go to security guard $15 for wristband -swim up bar--floating things in swim up cascade pool--hot -tub hammocks- beach chairs-and those sunshade straw things. Security to keep those who do not have wristbands--showers

We will be doing this again--Feb Ncl sky!

ONLY Credit cards for drinks--The 18% is already added-hotel rules!

if you want to have a Great -safe day-you just found it!!

I forgot---its the Grand Lucayan!! Beach chairs and shaded Straw table included

• 2 weeks later...

So every time you purchase a drink or food they will automatically charge you 18% with the price correct?

Anyone know how much they charge for soda here? Is there an outside stand by the beach or do you have to go up to the resort or inside?

They don't take cash??? :confused:

They don't take cash.

They automatically add the tip to snack bar/alcohol purchases.

Port Lucaya's Marketplace is across the street from the Grand Lucayan. Lots of places to buy food and drinks there.

We have an extremely short day in port (ship pulls out at 1:30, so we will probably only be there from around 8-12) and won't be eating. We are only interested in buying sodas while there and was just wondering if they would be adding the % to a can of soda. I don't think it will be worth it to do all the walking to go over to the Marketplace just to grab a can of soda. So was just wondering...

• 3 weeks later...
We have an extremely short day in port (ship pulls out at 1:30, so we will probably only be there from around 8-12) and won't be eating. We are only interested in buying sodas while there and was just wondering if they would be adding the % to a can of soda. I don't think it will be worth it to do all the walking to go over to the Marketplace just to grab a can of soda. So was just wondering...

When are you going Mitsigirly? We are going next month. I will report back how it was with 2 kids.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

• 11 months later...

Where do you find $10 R/T transportation? Is this from cruise port to Grand Lucayan? I have a group of around 20 that are in Freeport for the day on a cruise and will be at the Grand Lucayan.

The vans are INSIDE the PORT fence so they are all registered with the Port and Tourist board!! You will Love the Grand Luycaian--I still say this was the Best $15 I have ever spent--Beach chairs-cascading pools--swim up bar Hot tub hammock.

The vans all go to the same area-cruise lines and regular-- Husband SAVE the $$ buy another cocktail at resort. They only take credit cards for the drinks.

Get a return ticket===roundtrip +$10

Do you have to arrange ahead of time to go to the grand Lucayan?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It depends upon the time of year. Right now, they are not selling day passes at the gate (I emailed them last week) so the only way to get a daypass is to pre-purchase through shoreexcursions dot com. I think when they aren't full you don't need to pre-purchase. I decided that I just didn't want to take the chance and paid the extra $5 pp to pre-purchase passes.

Where do you find $10 R/T transportation? Is this from cruise port to Grand Lucayan? I have a group of around 20 that are in Freeport for the day on a cruise and will be at the Grand Lucayan.

From my research, when you are at the port you pay the $10 and get a ticket for your return. At the Grand Lucayan when you are ready to head back, you show your ticket and they put you in the correct van/company to get you back to the port.