Has anyone ever done an upsell twice on the same cruise?

sweetpea143

I was able to obtain an upsell on an upcoming cruise and accepted the lowest category of upsell. Well, when DH came home, he thought I should have spent the extra $ and taken the higher category of cabin. So, now I'm wondering if I can pay the difference between the two upsell cabins and take the higher category. Has anyone ever done this?

Two weeks ago on the Dawn we went from an oceanview (comped CAS) to an upsell to a family suite. Two days before sailing the upgraded too the Deluxe Owner's Suite. So, yes, it can be done.

Two weeks ago on the Dawn we went from an oceanview (comped CAS) to an upsell to a family suite. Two days before sailing the upgraded too the Deluxe Owner's Suite. So, yes, it can be done.

Thank you for the insight. I do have a few questions. Did you pay the difference from the family suite to the Deluxe Owner's Suite at upsell prices, and did you go through the upsell desk or your TA? Thank you again for the information!

I originally booked an aft balcony on the Jewel. I then paid $40 total to move to an aft mini. Finally I did a free upgrade to an aft suite. I had my TA take care of each of the upsell/upgrades.

This was pre FDR, but when I found a better cabin which had not been booked by 2 weeks before the sail date, I would have my TA negotiate an upsell. Usually it was from an aft balcony to an aft suite. I had my TA offer 50% of the difference in prices. That price was accepted twice, but they would not budge on another. The most I paid was $330.

Go for it! All they can say is no.

Where can I learn more about upsell opportunities? Is this something you call and ask about? They contact you to offer it?

Usually, upsells start around a month or 3 weeks out from departure. Getting an upsell offer can be like winning the lottery. They're not sent to every passenger.

If you used a travel agent. They can check upsell prices for you. Here is the NCL Upsell Dept. # 1.800.625.4309. Call and let them know what you are looking for. They will put you on the email list.

Usually, upsells start around a month or 3 weeks out from departure. Getting an upsell offer can be like winning the lottery. They're not sent to every passenger.

If you used a travel agent. They can check upsell prices for you. Here is the NCL Upsell Dept. # 1.800.625.4309. Call and let them know what you are looking for. They will put you on the email list.

Thanks for the info...I will give them a call. We are currently in main-suite, leaving is under 30 days. A nice suite or Haven could make for a special trip.

I called and was told there are no upset options available right now. I will try again a few days or watch for email.

Thanks for the tips!

It's good you're on the email list and it doesn't hurt to call often too.

Good Luck!

The second post is the reason I HATE the upsell fairy. They're lazy. Instead of making a handful of people happy and upgrading a handful one or two categories, they upsell one person from the bottom to the top to make their lives easier. I've sailed over a dozen times with NCL and never got an upsell but on a few of our sailings people have gotten calls that were pretty similar

I kept doing mock bookings so I knew cruise was not selling well. I used the upsell number to get the first suite a week or so before sailing but had to call several times just before the cruise and got the DOS two days before sailing.

The second post is the reason I HATE the upsell fairy. They're lazy. Instead of making a handful of people happy and upgrading a handful one or two categories, they upsell one person from the bottom to the top to make their lives easier. I've sailed over a dozen times with NCL and never got an upsell but on a few of our sailings people have gotten calls that were pretty similar

Wow, that is a pretty strong statement. I happened to aggressively seek these up sells, which were not upgrades, I paid for them. This was my 24th cruise with NCL and I have stayed in plenty of insides.

Wow, that is a pretty strong statement. I happened to aggressively seek these up sells, which were not upgrades, I paid for them. This was my 24th cruise with NCL and I have stayed in plenty of insides.

I know what an upsell is. They're usually offered for pennies on the dollar of what the upgrade would cost. I don't see why you're taking it personal when it has everything to do with NCL and nothing to do with you. I could list off a handful of examples where people would talk about how they got the upsell fairy call at the M&G and they went from OV or insides to an SD or DOS. One cruise everyone who had an SD and SJ were in the M&G and none of us were ever called for the DOS upsell, but they got it for $800 for two weeks. They didn't just call them once though. They called them 3 times, each time lowering the price. NCL could just have easily upgraded the inside to an OV or balcony, balcony to mini, etc. There were a LOT of rooms open on the ship and the M&G represented about 10% of those on board, only the people in the inside cabin got an upsell call. They could have easily upgraded 5% of that ship, instead they upgraded a small percentage and left a good portion of the ship empty. That is bad business or crappy staff at the upsell desk

I kept doing mock bookings so I knew cruise was not selling well. I used the upsell number to get the first suite a week or so before sailing but had to call several times just before the cruise and got the DOS two days before sailing.

Thank you again for the insight. I did call back the following day and was able to pay the difference between the two upsell category prices. I've had upsells 3 of 5 times on NCL cruises and only the first time was I offered the upsell by NCL through an email. The other two times I obtained an upsell, I too, was proactive and monitored how the cruise was selling and contacted NCL directly. One can wait on the elusive upsell fairy, or one can take initiative and seek upsell opportunities. It may be successful; or it may not be successful. But I'm working at trying and am successful, that shouldn't impact those whom choose to wait for the fairy to sprinkle its magic upsell dust. Thank you again, Riddle, for all your help and comments on this post. I wish you happy upsell sailing on your next cruise.

Thank you again for the insight. I did call back the following day and was able to pay the difference between the two upsell category prices. I've had upsells 3 of 5 times on NCL cruises and only the first time was I offered the upsell by NCL through an email. The other two times I obtained an upsell, I too, was proactive and monitored how the cruise was selling and contacted NCL directly. One can wait on the elusive upsell fairy, or one can take initiative and seek upsell opportunities. It may be successful; or it may not be successful. But I'm working at trying and am successful, that shouldn't impact those whom choose to wait for the fairy to sprinkle its magic upsell dust. Thank you again, Riddle, for all your help and comments on this post. I wish you happy upsell sailing on your next cruise.

I have tried calling for upsells before and been told that they don't do them and only the fairy can do them. If we wanted to upgrade it would cost list price, even a couple weeks before the cruise

I have tried calling for upsells before and been told that they don't do them and only the fairy can do them. If we wanted to upgrade it would cost list price, even a couple weeks before the cruise

In my experience, 2 of 3 upsells were by my calling and my initiating a call. I have been told none were available, but I kept calling back and it's just a few minute call. You may be told no, but you can call the nest week and be told something is available. You have nothing to lose by trying. I will continue to try on future cruses. Good work and good luck.

Seems like an email went out to a bunch of people this morning. Calling yesterday there was nothing. Today I got the email, so did some friends who booked recently. We were both booked in mini suites.

This was a big splurge for us, but we are now in a Haven Owners Suite with large balcony. :)

We figured why not! We did not get the 4 included perks only the special we originally booked with, but that's okay. In the end we got the room including prepaid gratuities for more than 50% off if I were booking today.

Super excited about this one now.

Seems like an email went out to a bunch of people this morning. Calling yesterday there was nothing. Today I got the email, so did some friends who booked recently. We were both booked in mini suites.

This was a big splurge for us, but we are now in a Haven Owners Suite with large balcony. :)

We figured why not! We did not get the 4 included perks only the special we originally booked with, but that's okay. In the end we got the room including prepaid gratuities for more than 50% off if I were booking today.

Cool!

Maybe I will hear something for our June 4th Alaska Jewel cruise soon.

Edited by Tinknock50

Congratulations, you're gonna love Haven!

Based on my experience, I think it depends on the cruise, the time of year and the amount of passengers. I just called 4 weeks out and was given an upsell. I've called 4 weeks out an been told to call 1-2 weeks out. I've asked if the upsell agent would call me 1-2 weeks out and she did. I think the emails and calls are going out before, or around the same time as the upsell emails and calls. But, I call and even when 'm told no, I call back. Two of five of my NCL cruises, I did not get upsells and I paid for our suite because it was prime time and I knew I had to pay full fare. Try, try, try!

Based on my experience, I think it depends on the cruise, the time of year and the amount of passengers. I just called 4 weeks out and was given an upsell. I've called 4 weeks out an been told to call 1-2 weeks out. I've asked if the upsell agent would call me 1-2 weeks out and she did. I think the emails and calls are going out before, or around the same time as the upsell emails and calls. But, I call and even when 'm told no, I call back. Two of five of my NCL cruises, I did not get upsells and I paid for our suite because it was prime time and I knew I had to pay full fare. Try, try, try!

We haven't cruised with NCL in a couple years. Them sending out emails and allowing everyone to call must be fairly new. We've been told before when we called that we shouldn't even be calling and they will call people when they're ready