excursions in Juneau

ABQrobin

We are booked for next June, on Carnival, 7am-3pm in Juneau.

Both of us are active hikers and want to do the best we can do at each port. Juneau seems to have nice hikes at Mendenhall glacier and also at the top of the Tram station. We are torn.... if we had time, we would do both, but it just doesn't seem possible with a lunch stop and some shopping.

Which hikes have you done?

What did you like?

If you could only do one, which one?

(we have booked the Tracy Arm boat tour, so we will see glaciers up close so I am thinking that seeing Mendenhall isn't urgent, but I may be wrong)

thanks!

I've hiked the trails at the top of the tram plus several trails at Mendenhall. What is better is a personal choice.

The trails at the top of the tram offer an outstanding view of the port area - if the fog is not blocking everything. Walking through the rain forest is interesting.

The most popular trail at Mendenhall is to Nugget Falls - a rather flat trail with nice views of the glacier to a sand bar with a great view of the falls.

If you are pressed for time, you can walk to the tram station - getting to Mendenhall requires a cab, bus, or rental car.

I'm assuming you only have half a day in Juneau? Or is your Tracy Arm transit a different day.

With a half day- I would suggest hiking Mt. Roberts, you won't have time for the "best" Mendenhall Glacier- West loop. I've done the East Loop and part of Nugget Creek- which takes about 3 hours, not a lot of viewing the glacier. The Nugget Falls, is a "walk" and probably won't satisfy a serious hiker. :) 2 mile, flat, heavily traveled round trip, dead end trail.

With Mt. Roberts- and depending on your time AND weather- hiking back down after taking the tram up, could be a nice hike for you?