Norwegian Sun VS Princess Star

umieesa

Hey all,

Its been a while since our last cruise (it was actually also our first ;)), so thinking of taking another cruise to Alaska this time. Our first cruise was with princess (Ruby) and we loved it, and was thinking to cruise with them again, but I saw that the Sun has family staterooms that could accommodate my family of 5 (3 sons; 15, 11, 6). Now if my parents join us I could put the youngest in their stateroom on Princess to bring down some of the cost, or worst comes to worst get two staterooms like we did last time. My kids loved Princess, but I'm sure at the same time they'd enjoy activities other than the kids club or mini golf (not sure what the Sun really offers yet). I could get an inside family stateroom on Norwegian right now for about $3200, and for about $2900 an OV obstructed on princess (that holds 4). So ultimately cost is similar. Princess is offering $50OBC, pp gratuities and a specialty dining credit. Norwegian is offering a $100OBC and a $100 dining credit.

Here are the itineraries I'm looking at:

Star Princess:

Whittier | Hubbard Glacier (Yakutat Bay) | Glacier Bay | Skagway | Juneau | Ketchikan | At Sea | Vancouver

Norwegian Sun:

Vancouver, Canada | Cruise Inside Passage Al, At Sea | Juneau, Ak | Skagway, Ak | Cruise Sawyer Glacier, At Sea | Ketchikan, Ak | Cruise Inside Passage Al, At Sea | Vancouver, Canada

Sorry for all the info, but thought the more background I give the better advice I get ;)

Thanks in Advance!

Should also mention those prices are for a late August departure on the Sun, and a late May departure on the Star. Is it worth paying more for dates in July? Also, food is really important to us, so not sure which ship would be better in that regard.

TIA!

You should decide what you want to do in Alaska.

Read some books about the ports . Alaska is more about the ports and scenery than the ships them selves. Look at the port times and decide if that is enough to do what interest's the family.

I have read a lot and that's why those itineraries interest me the most. Definitely want to go to the Yukon. Both itineraries are quite similar, so do you think ship won't matter too much? Food is a big thing ;)

Star:

depart Whittier 830pm

Skagway 7-830pm

Juneau 630-4pm

Ketchikan 10-6

arrive YVR 730

Sun:

depart YVR 4pm

Ketchikan 7-4pm

Juneau 11-9pm

Skagway 8-8

arrive Seward 7am

Pretty similar. I like that the Sun leaves a bit early, whether that 's a good thing or not?!

Star:

depart Whittier 830pm

Skagway 7-830pm

Juneau 630-4pm

Ketchikan 10-6

arrive YVR 730

Sun:

depart YVR 4pm

Ketchikan 7-4pm

Juneau 11-9pm

Skagway 8-8

arrive Seward 7am

Pretty similar. I like that the Sun leaves a bit early, whether that 's a good thing or not?!

You initially said the Sun returns to Vancouver.

I prefer Princess's itinerary. Two glacier days is great! I also prefer Glacier Bay to Tracy Arm (not sure what NCL does as you have may have switched itineraries). The combination of Hubbard Glacier and GB can not be beat!

I prefer the end of May. Weather is "historically dryer" then.

You may want to price out 2 rooms on Princess. Sometimes there isn't much of a difference and you gain a second bathroom. Probably not as bad with boys as opposed to girls but the Princess rooms are sort of small for 4.

Your boys are at a perfect age to enjoy Alaska! Definitely check into shore excursions as they are pricer compared to the Caribbean. They are worth saving up for! Alaska is truly amazing.

Edited by Coral

I have done both itineraries and both ships. I will say the NCL Sun, isn't one of their better ones. :)

You've mentioned "food" a couple times. Neither cruise line, in their regular dining rooms, have what I would consider anything more than OK food. IF food is as important as you say, then you are going to need to strongly consider being open to the upcharge eateries. Which NCL has more variety. Food is definitely superior.

You mention nothing about Alaska. I too suggest you figure out what activities you are including, also are you adding mainland touring? I always recommend an additional week. At the least- do you have any interest in either Seward or Whittier?

Thanks for the info!

Both itineraries do list GB and Hubbard, which are both musts on my itinerary list. I've eliminated any itineraries that don't include these. ;)

I intended to spend at least 5 days in Anchorage as well to explore the area by land (either before or after depending on cruise itinerary). The shore excursions are extremely important, and that's why if I can cut costs on the actual cruise then all the better. At the same time, I'd like to enjoy the days onboard as well.

Yes, food is important, and I'm not expecting anything over the top as if I was on Regent or something, but a lot of options would be nice. We liked the International cafe on the Ruby, and the fish and chips lunch and afternoon tea were nice additions. I did noticed that the Sun had sushi, which I think we'd enjoy. I would probably use any OBC toward specialty dining.

I'm wondering if I'm just overthinking ship choice too much? Since we're still cruising newbies will both ships deliver on our expectations? My kids LOVED the Ruby, so how do these two ships compare?

Any thoughts on the itineraries? In port times are fairly similar, is one a notch above?

Thanks again for all the help!

I should also note that one is Northbound and one Southbound. I've read mixed reviews where some people prefer one over the other. Any benefits worth mentioning of one over the other?

the "skewed" comments you will find- with the claims that southbound is the choice- are OFTEN based on the mainland tour itineraries- which- a lot are- what I consider poorly planned, with this complaint.

The Southbound does allow, more inside Vancouver Island viewing- IF of interest - but a LOT of people miss this due to a meal priority. ;)

However- with your dates of end of May and end of August, I would only recommend north in this time frame.

I suggest you look a lot more carefully at your mainland touring. Thinking that you will just plant yourself in Anchorage- is a big mistake. You need to be on the move, don't underestimate distances- which you seem to have done. 5 days is a very short time, if you can manage a week - far superior for having a lot of activity time and reasonable transit schedules.

Whittier- has the advantage of easily adding a Prince William Sound boat tour- Far superior glacier viewing, compared to the cruise ship viewing. Seward- is a gem for varied activities http://www.seward.com with the highlight for varied wildlife being a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Need at least 6 hours on the water. :)

If you go with NCL, and continue to only have the 5 days- especially if they include your departure day- spending a couple days in Seward- then getting a rental car= one way, with enjoying your time on the Arm- with perhaps a couple days in Anchorage. An extra day in Girdwood opens up plenty of additions.

It's still really early, but you could check the roll calls for those sailings to see if anyone is already signed up that has kids your age. I've done that before when looking at booking a cruise.

We'll be sailing the Sun to Alaska next May and I must say that it looks like there isn't much on the ship for the kids other than the kids clubs. We're not worried, as we will bring books, cards, small games and just pass the time watching the scenery go by. I expect my teens will also want to pass time by sleeping.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

Budget Queen you make some really good points, and while I'd love to stay longer in Alaska, I also want to spend some time in Vancouver (not a must since we've been), but thought I'd divide the extra time that way.

I definitely don't want to just plant myself in Anchorage, so perhaps I should nix the extra time in Vancouver and devote it all to Alaska. I have researched some of those things you've mentioned and Kenai fjords or prince william sound boat tours seem like a must (I'm scared of getting sea sick on the Kenai fjord one).

dijid I will do that too. My kids will want to stick with us most of the time I'm sure, but doesn't hurt, especially if they want to go to the kids club.

Thanks for the comments.

Budget Queen you make some really good points, and while I'd love to stay longer in Alaska, I also want to spend some time in Vancouver (not a must since we've been), but thought I'd divide the extra time that way.

I definitely don't want to just plant myself in Anchorage, so perhaps I should nix the extra time in Vancouver and devote it all to Alaska. I have researched some of those things you've mentioned and Kenai fjords or prince william sound boat tours seem like a must (I'm scared of getting sea sick on the Kenai fjord one).

dijid I will do that too. My kids will want to stick with us most of the time I'm sure, but doesn't hurt, especially if they want to go to the kids club.

There are a lot of very effective remedies for motion sickness available. Consult your health care professional. Although some people may be well meaning with their "ideas", nobody knows your precise medical history. This isn't the place to get that information. I had a coworker- who gave a "trial" to a "script" (we worked in health care) he sat in the back seat of the car. Had he wife drive- reading, and taking "photos". His particular combo- worked like a charm- previous always had to sit in the front- with his eyes glued ahead. :)