Seward or Cooper Landing, Homer or Anchorage?

oceanlovinmama

We are cruising out of Seward next August and I want to come in and experience a different part of Alaska rather than Denali, which I've done. I tentatively was flying into Anchorage and renting a car, going to Cooper Landing or Alyeska or even Homer if worth it. We then were going to spend the night in Anchorage and take the train to Seward. My question would be this? Where is the most bang for my buck?? what area would give me a true flavor of Alaska wildlife. Am I trying to do too much? We were going to come in 4 or 5 nights before the cruise. I'm wondering if staying in either the Anchorage area or the Seward area and just taking day trips would be better than mixing it up. We have 4 coming in early then about 10 others coming in on Saturday. They want to go to Denali and I'm hoping they have time to get a place to stay near Denali, get into the park on Sunday and then return to Anchorage to spend the night to get on the 6:15 train. Doable???

Have you looked at details on what each or these areas offers? What activities? I'll speculate you need to do this first, especially with your Cooper Landing mention? This is a fishing area,. are you interested in that? and a pass through. if not fishing, not usually a stay area- with such short time.

YOU need to find which area fits your interests best.

Sorry, but the late arriving group does not have time for Denali park. It does not appear they realize what touring there involves and are greatly underestimating distances. An alternative would be just to take the Alaska RR to Seward, and overnight there. Plenty to see and do.

You mention "wildlife", Denali Park is a jackpot, along with Kenai fjords, needing at least a 6 hour boat trip. You aren't likely to see a lot of wildlife otherwise, with a lot of people not seeing any.

You have been to Denali which is the "wildlife" viewing experience. Why not spend your time around the Turnagain Arm area of Alyeska and Seward. Look online and order some brochures that tell about the activities in the area including flight seeing opportunities. There are so many options but only you know your interests and budget.

Thanks, I appreciate the tips. Since a few of us have to been to Denali I was just looking for an alternative and have read that the Kenai area and Homer have a lot of marine life and I thought there was a glacier reachable by car. I will check into Alyeska more thoroughly. If they arrive to Anchorage on Saturday, rent a car, isn't it about 4 hours to Denali? I suppose driving back to Anchorage would be the killer on Sunday after the park. I'll have to tell them they need to come in earlier if possible.

Thanks, I appreciate the tips. Since a few of us have to been to Denali I was just looking for an alternative and have read that the Kenai area and Homer have a lot of marine life and I thought there was a glacier reachable by car. I will check into Alyeska more thoroughly. If they arrive to Anchorage on Saturday, rent a car, isn't it about 4 hours to Denali? I suppose driving back to Anchorage would be the killer on Sunday after the park. I'll have to tell them they need to come in earlier if possible.

You need to allow 6 hours for a Anchorage/Denali drive. Construction is just about a given. THEN they need to consider at least an 8 hour shuttle bus ride into the park- THEN the 6 hour drive back? You also do NOT want to be in a marathon driving mode. A significant highlight for visitors- is to ENJOY the stops along the way - which are numerous.

Should be pretty clear, it's hardly worth it, with less than 2 full days. (my min. recommendation is 2 nights at Denali)

YES they need to invest more time- the biggest "friend" of Alaska travel.

Thank you again for the tips. While the cruise doesn't leave until Monday I agree that it isn't enough time for Denali. No time to stop in Talkeetna or explore the area. I'm going in on Thursday and will go to alyeska area, enjoying scenery, driving, taking a excursion. We'll then go to anchorage on Saturday and meet up with everyone and spend the night there then head to Seward on Sunday and spend the day and the next day doing a few things before getting on ship on Monday. Hopefully everyone will be happy with that choice. I still plan on offering different ideas for everyone so they can choose what they are most interested in. Will try to find enough B&B for everyone south....still not sure what to do in anchorage but I'm sure there is plenty.

Thank you again for the tips. While the cruise doesn't leave until Monday I agree that it isn't enough time for Denali. No time to stop in Talkeetna or explore the area. I'm going in on Thursday and will go to alyeska area, enjoying scenery, driving, taking a excursion. We'll then go to anchorage on Saturday and meet up with everyone and spend the night there then head to Seward on Sunday and spend the day and the next day doing a few things before getting on ship on Monday. Hopefully everyone will be happy with that choice. I still plan on offering different ideas for everyone so they can choose what they are most interested in. Will try to find enough B&B for everyone south....still not sure what to do in anchorage but I'm sure there is plenty.

http://www.anchorage.net

In Anchorage, visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Anchorage Museum and/or the Alaska Zoo.

In Girdwood, the tram to the top of Mt. Alyeska provides stunning views. There is also a place there to grab lunch. Buy you tickets at the hotel. While in the area, be sure to visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

• 2 weeks later...

So, while its 300 days away, I do have part of the trip planned. FLying into Anchorage on the 11th, renting car and staying Turnagain Arm B & B, doing the tram and glacier walk upon waking...after that driving to Cooper Landing, staying at the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge..next morning doing a float down the Kenai River...packing up and heading south to Bear creek where we will probably stay bear lake lodge or Bell in the Woods...driving to Exit glacier, going to Seaveys, taking a wildlife/glacier Kenai Fjords cruise and hopeing to make it to Fox Island to take in some yummy salmon. THen I'll be heading south on the Norwegian Sun....which I'm slightly nervous about now. Have only done Princess in Alaska and I'm Diamond with Royal and Elite with Celebrity...my 1st Norwegian. Any other recommendations for B & B or lodging in the Seward area would be welcome too!

So, while its 300 days away, I do have part of the trip planned. FLying into Anchorage on the 11th, renting car and staying Turnagain Arm B & B, doing the tram and glacier walk upon waking...after that driving to Cooper Landing, staying at the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge..next morning doing a float down the Kenai River...packing up and heading south to Bear creek where we will probably stay bear lake lodge or Bell in the Woods...driving to Exit glacier, going to Seaveys, taking a wildlife/glacier Kenai Fjords cruise and hopeing to make it to Fox Island to take in some yummy salmon. THen I'll be heading south on the Norwegian Sun....which I'm slightly nervous about now. Have only done Princess in Alaska and I'm Diamond with Royal and Elite with Celebrity...my 1st Norwegian. Any other recommendations for B & B or lodging in the Seward area would be welcome too!

Exit Glacier Salmon Bake does a good job.

• 2 weeks later...