Angor Wat or Terra Cotta Warriors?

Kizmet

If one must choose between the two, which would be the best choice. I know this is a matters of opinion but was wondering if there may be some kind of advise from those who have taken these tours previously.

We will be traveling on the Pride in October and are beginning to make our plans for our first trip to Asia. Taking both trips are probably not in our budget, if there is such a thing for a month long trip.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Oh dear! What a decision. If I only had a choice I would probably choose the terra cotta army in xian. It was wonderful. We had tied that in with a land trip in China prior to joining a cruise in the 90's.

On the other hand I have wanted to see Angkor Wat as that is on 'my bucket list'. When we were on the Spirit we were in Bangkok and could have taken this excursion but would have missed a great excursion to the River Kwai, New museum that had just opened near by and the fun, fun, fun Elephant camp and ride. Besides, if we were to have done the ship's excursion we would have wanted to stay longer. We loved Vietnam on this trip and wanted to return one day.

We have found our solution. AMA waterways has a wonderful 15 day trip cruise and water which includes Cambodia land for three nights, a 7 day river cruise on the Mekong and a return to Vietnam which we are extending for a couple of more nights in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh.

If you embarking or disembarking not too far away from Cambodia, perhaps you could consider a pre or post trip and spend a longer length of time.

Thank you for your insights. Indeed it is a very difficult choice.

We got to see the Terra Cotta Warrier exhibit in DC a few months ago and it was very much a replica of the original museum, I was told. It was one of my priorities on my bucket list but my husband's is Angor Wat, also a great option.

Perhaps the decision may be made for us, if for some reason the situation causes us not to make a Bangkok stop were the Angor Wat tour is run from.

Decisions...decisions... Isn't life grand?

I was happy to hear how much you enjoyed Vietnam. It was not somewhere that was on my must do list but my son went resently and was very much impressed by it as well.

Edited by Kizmet

If one must choose between the two, which would be the best choice. I know this is a matters of opinion but was wondering if there may be some kind of advise from those who have taken these tours previously.

We will be traveling on the Pride in October and are beginning to make our plans for our first trip to Asia. Taking both trips are probably not in our budget, if there is such a thing for a month long trip.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

I realize that seeing them in their origional home is much more dramatic, but when they do tour ... there are many of them to give the effect. I have been to Angor Wat, and in-fact ... have a bronze item from there ... a gift from the government. I haven't seen the Terra Cotta Warriors ... but I would go back to Angor Wat ...

We have visited both sites. last year we spent time at Angkor Wat and after that it is clear that you must go there sooner than later. The Chinese government has total control in Xian. Angkor Wat is slowly weathering away and who knows when folks will only be allowed to look from afar. Currently you actually can touch all the carvings and walk on the pathways. This will not continue. It is a fascinating place. Be sure to see Sonle Sap Lake which is an amazing geological phenomenon which most folks miss.

Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate your help in trying to choose. My husband agrees with tyfh, we at least got to see some of the "traveling Warriors" but there is not much chance of the Angor Wat going on the road.

Josephone, do you think that the time allotted on the Seabourn trip of one overnight at Angor Wat would be get to see enough of the highlights? The erosion concerns that you raised are pushing us in the direction of making Angor Wat our choice while it can still be seen.

We did the Angkor Wat overnight excursion from the Spirit while in Bangkok 2 years ago. It was among the best 3 places I have EVER seen on this planet (with the other 2 being Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands). Good amount of time to see the main sights, nice transfers, excellent hotel, and wonderful guide. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Hi, I can't top the previous post of someone who actually did the Seabourn trip. I join in the strong recommendation that you visit it this year. Another possibility is go there from Bangkok at the end or beginning of your trip. You could stay 3 days and would find it to be plenty of time to get a real feel for the place. But, it is a must to see. You clearly will enjoy the shorter visit!

We did the Angkor Wat overnight excursion from the Spirit while in Bangkok 2 years ago. It was among the best 3 places I have EVER seen on this planet (with the other 2 being Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands). Good amount of time to see the main sights, nice transfers, excellent hotel, and wonderful guide. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I think that does it. Providing that they offer the trip, we decided with you help, that we will do the Seabourn overnight trip for Angkor Wat.

Machu Picchu and the Galapagos are on our bucket list and had to cancel it last year due to an illness in the family.

Thanks everyone.

I visited Cambodia and several of the "wats" and don't think you'll be disappointed with choosing Angor Wat. It is quite amazing and as Josephone stated, it is eroding and they won't be able to have tourists going through it much longer. Enjoy!

• 4 years later...

I thought so when we were there, but I am convinced that Xian is a hoax, particularly when I went to our local wholesale nursery, for landscape architects, and saw a field of warriors! Angkor wat is authentic, Xian and surround a rip off.....the farmer who they say found the burial site and who signs the book, changes every 6 hours! The museum, shanxi, is good, as is Arab quarter.

Edited by schooltchr
Spelling error

It seems you have chosen Angkor Wat (for logical reasons) but please do not discount Xian. Back in the early 1980's(I believe it was 1983) I went on a tour of China & Hong Kong - it was almost 4 weeks long....and spectacular as there were limited opportunities at that time for tourists. I had always wanted to walk the Great Wall & doing so was almost dream like...the after a few days we were to visit Xian for the Terra Cotta Army - which I did not know much about - well it too turned out to be a high lite of the trip.....the area it covered was so vast - and since that time more has been unearthed. Seeing the travelling tour is not the same I can assure you....

Lots has changed since I visited but if you get the chance another time - go...the business practices may have changed but I assure you its real!

Angkor Wat definitely. Sunrise there is a life enhancing experience, Angkor Thom a marvel and the Bagan absolutely amazing. It is one of the top trips we have ever done.

Xian was wonderful and we were there almost alone with no crowds, but it cannot come close to the majesty and size of Angkor Wat.

Enjoy!