Western Caribbean with Toddles

cruisegirl06

We are sailing a western caribbean cruise next week with our 2 girls (3 and almost-1). I'm looking for tips and recommendations for what to do in port. We're going to Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. DH and I have been to all these islands before, so we're looking more for relaxing activities/fun things to do with the kids instead of intense sightseeing.

Here's what I'm thinking so far - I'm very open to other ideas or tips!

Falmouth - Margaritaville or maybe Doctor's Cave (how far is it? Worth the drive with kiddos in tow?), possibly the Red Stripe Beach excursion since it sounds like that is the closest beach (I would prefer to avoid ship excursions though, in general)

Grand cayman - mini bus to seven mile (sea grape?) and/or island tour (mostly for the turtle farm).

Cozumel - this is where I'm stuck. We've done Chankanab (pre-kids) and Paradise Beach (when ODD was one), I didn't think PB was that great for little kids (in a few years, it will be perfect!). I've seen recommendations for playa Mia, but again it looks more geared at older kids. For reference, we did Tropicante in Costa Maya last trip and loved it with a toddler, if there is anything remotely like that in Cozumel that would be perfect!

Sorry for rambling, any tips are much appreciated!

Grand cayman - mini bus to seven mile (sea grape?) and/or island tour (mostly for the turtle farm).

I would probably skip the island tour on GC, and go right for the turtle farm. We were there when the kids were about 3 and they were entranced. Probably the only thing they've talked about more has been swimming with the dolphins. The rest of the tour has no interest for kids (and possibly very little interest for adults) and will just tire them out. Plus, we would all have liked to spend more time at the farm.

I'm doing same Western route and this is what I have planned based upon my research and what my families likes/dislikes are. Simply put we're beach people.

Cozumel - Nachi Cocom sounds like more adults that kids but with a 2.5 yr old she doesn't need the water activities offered by Mr Sanchos etc. So a quiet relaxing beach with not too many people works for us.

GC - booked a cabana a Royal Palms. I know its nothing more than a tent but for $100 we have guaranteed shade, chairs, table and loungers for our group. If it gets busy we have our own space blocked off too.

Falmouth - this port gave me the most trouble but again sticking with the beach theme we booked Jewel Runaway Bay through Resort for a Day.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips!

Mikesteg - So to do just the turtle farm do you recommend taking the bus or a cab? About how long was the ride? I'm thinking we'll start there and then do the beach on the way back to the boat (if we feel up for it).

Tagong - thanks for the beach recommendations. I'll check out those options

Well, we didn't take the bus/taxi, so I can't provide any first hand information. There is a thread which is a few months old on the ports board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952232

Also, someone started a brand new one 2 days ago, but no responses yet:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2120316

I think the trip is about 20-25 minutes direct, but that would be dependent upon the mode of transportation. Also, I think traffic can become a substantial factor.

The Turtle farm FAQ:

http://www.turtle.ky/faq

... has some transportation info about 5 questions down the list.

In my way of doing things, I would probably be prepared to do both and take whichever made sense at the time. Honestly, I'd probably go for the quick exit with the cab on the way out, then take the bus on the way back just to have done both.

fyi - we were just in Falmouth (on a re-route due to Gonzalo), with our 3-yr old. Not having made any plans we just decided to hit Margaritaville and call it a day. Unfortunately this location was not that great. There was a live DJ playing music that was SO loud, we couldn't even talk - and there was nowhere to sit that was far enough away to be comfortable. Good if you're a 21-yr old drinking beer bongs, but not great if you're a 3-yr old.

So my suggestion would be to make alternate plans.

When he was 2.5 we were in Cozumel and did the semi-submersible sub ride. Great for his age group but not for your youngest one.

If you take the bus to the turtle farm, the bus station is very close to the library. It was very easy (we did not have small children, but it is easy enough to do) and reasonable. The ride was about 20 minutes to half and hour.

Thanks all for the tips! It's good to know turtle farm transit options (DH is obsessed with public transit, so I have a feeling we'll wind up on the minibus, but I'll keep the cab as a back-up plan)

Also, thanks for the margaritaville information, I'll investigate other options on Falmouth.

We did playa Mia with our just turned four year old in January and I think your kids would have a blast. Super easy to get to by taxi...they have beach toys out, a playground on the beach, a covered kids area with toys, and then of course the swimming area with tons of things to climb on and spray with. There are some things they can't do like the water slide or water toys, but trust me they will have a blast!