Grand River Cruises or Avalon for Danube?

Familycruisers20

I have cruised 4x with Avalon and only seen the GCT boats in port and walked through them.

IMO, Avalon offers a more modern fleet, nicer rooms (great beds) and upscale experience overall than what I have seen and read of GCT.

Our preference is AMA overall but we would not cruise with GCT as they are not our cup of tea.

Try to compare the actual ships you'll be sailing on in addition to the overall cruise line. Avalon has some pretty fantastic Suite Ships with much larger bathrooms than most others, beds that face the floor to ceiling 6'x9' opening French door windows, all your wine and soft drinks are included, they carry fewer passengers and have an optional buffet at night in addition to traditional sit-down dining (only on Suite Ships). This could be invaluable when you're exhausted from touring and just want to grab something quick to eat..

I prefer GCCL (Grand Circle) for my river cruises. I have been on nine with them and three of their small ship cruises with two more booked for 2015.

Their ships may be older but they are all look and feel like new. I also think you get more bang for the buck with GCCL but if money is not a problem then Avalon might be a better choice. The main drawback many have is their fold down Pullman beds. I am 6'2" and have never had a bad nights sleep in one of them. If you need a queen size bed or a suite cabin chose Avalon of another line.

I've also traveled with AMA, Vantage and Viking. IMO the service and attention to detail is much better on GCCL.

You should have a great time no matter which line you choose.

Edited by rogerdawhip

The Avalon cabins also tend to be bigger - both on their older ships and especially on their newer suite ships. I had a 172 sq ft cabin with a French Balcony on the Avalon ship and I can't imagine cruising in anything smaller for two people. I travel with my mom & we had the room set up as 2 twins. There was plenty of storage, the suitcases fit under the beds. The room was very well layed out but I don't think I would do a cruise in a smaller cabin.

Avalon's Suite Ships French balcony cabins are 200 square feet. Much larger than most other cruise lines. :D

Yes, they're more expensive than Viking but you get what you pay for. They aren't as pricey as Tauck, and again you get what you pay for with them too. It's all a matter of what your budget is.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Avalon's Suite Ships French balcony cabins are 200 square feet. Much larger than most other cruise lines. :D

Yes, they're more expensive than Viking but you get what you pay for. They aren't as pricey as Tauck, and again you get what you pay for with them too. It's all a matter of what your budget is.

I agree that you get what you pay for and it is important to compare, based on individual priorities. With Tauck, it is not just the level of luxury and fewer passengers but the inclusions that make them more expensive. We are not interested in the additional inclusions as we like to DIY transfers, some excursions, hotels, etc. and choose not to pay for what we would not use or be interested in using.

Avalon's Panorama Suites are 200 sq ft but their standard French balcony cabins are 170. The Panorama Suites are very nice and were the best part of our cruise on the Panorama.

AMA's twin balcony staterooms are either 210 or 235; we have stayed in both and love the concept and true the outdoor space. AMA's French balcony staterooms are 170.

Part of the excitement of any cruise is meeting folks from all over the world. GCT only sells to US markets. That would be a show stopper for me.

I have taken 7 cruises with Avalon and have 2 more booked next year. I'm pleased with my experiences with Avalon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree that you get what you pay for and it is important to compare, based on individual priorities. With Tauck, it is not just the level of luxury and fewer passengers but the inclusions that make them more expensive. We are not interested in the additional inclusions as we like to DIY transfers, some excursions, hotels, etc. and choose not to pay for what we would not use or be interested in using.

Avalon's Panorama Suites are 200 sq ft but their standard French balcony cabins are 170. The Panorama Suites are very nice and were the best part of our cruise on the Panorama.

AMA's twin balcony staterooms are either 210 or 235; we have stayed in both and love the concept and true the outdoor space. AMA's French balcony staterooms are 170.

I was referring to the Suite Ships and that does include the Panorama that you sailed on. They do not have any cabins that are French balconies and are only 170 SF. Their cabins are as follows:

Window cabins = 172 SF

Suites - 300 SF

All others (French Balcony categories A, B, & P) - 200 SF

Your reasons for not choosing Tauck are mine also. I cannot justify the higher price when we want to do a lot of our own adventures after a brief included walking tour.

I was referring to the Suite Ships and that does include the Panorama that you sailed on. They do not have any cabins that are French balconies and are only 170 SF. Their cabins are as follows:

Window cabins = 172 SF

Suites - 300 SF

Your reasons for not choosing Tauck are mine also. I cannot justify the higher price when we want to do a lot of our own adventures after a brief included walking tour.

I'm continually amazed that you and others continue to bag Tauck based on false assumptions. After you've paid all your additional costs like your own transfers (when AMA already include them), hire private guides to "do your own thing" etc. Tauck are a fine value for money company that include everything in a price that is very comparable to Scenic, AMA and Uniworld and that's before you go and add on the things you and Caviargal like to do. I would strongly suggest that before you bag a river cruise company you should at least have tried their product.

I'm continually amazed that you and others continue to bag Tauck based on false assumptions. After you've paid all your additional costs like your own transfers (when AMA already include them), hire private guides to "do your own thing" etc. Tauck are a fine value for money company that include everything in a price that is very comparable to Scenic, AMA and Uniworld and that's before you go and add on the things you and Caviargal like to do. I would strongly suggest that before you bag a river cruise company you should at least have tried their product.

If someone (like me) likes to do their own thing and is not interested in group tours, why would we choose a line that includes them? I like my private transfers with companies I choose and my private tours based on my own interests and pace. It is not as much about the total price but what I choose to spend my money on, and my choice is custom rather than bundled.

Window cabins = 172 SF

Suites - 300 SF

I stand corrected and thank you for the reminder. We also sailed on the non Suite ships and on those (in our case Luminary and Affinity) the French Balcony cabins are 172 sq ft. They were fine for us but the Panorama cabins definitely nicer.

We don't choose a line for the cabin as a priority but we would not sail on a boat where cabins are small and beds are murphy type. In December we are booked Aquarium class for what will be our 6th AMA cruise.

I stand corrected and thank you for the reminder. We also sailed on the non Suite ships and on those (in our case Luminary and Affinity) the French Balcony cabins are 172 sq ft. They were fine for us but the Panorama cabins definitely nicer.

We don't choose a line for the cabin as a priority but we would not sail on a boat where cabins are small and beds are murphy type. In December we are booked Aquarium class for what will be our 6th AMA cruise.

I hope you'll do a review when you return. I'm assuming you're doing the Christmas markets. That's high on my To Do List. Bon voyage! :)

I hope you'll do a review when you return. I'm assuming you're doing the Christmas markets. That's high on my To Do List. Bon voyage! :)

I always do a review when I return...gives me something to do on that long flight home.:D

The markets will be closed when we go as we embark on 12/28 but NYE in Europe has been a great experience and this one will be spent in Mainz, famous for fireworks.

I haven't seen much info on Grand River Cruises, does anyone have an opinion? Have friends that have been on 3 Avalon and loved them.

Yes, I have also noticed that there aren't many reviews of Grand Circle Travel river cruises on this forum. But there are several people who will respond to specific questions you might have about GCT.

We recently booked a GCT river cruise on the Rhine and Moselle rivers for November 2015. I might have passed over GCT as an option except for the glowing reviews from some friends of ours who have taken 2 Grand Circle Travel river cruises and several of their small ship cruises.

It was a difficult decision, but we ended up booking with GCT after reading the reviews for the Rhine-Moselle itinerary on 3 cruise lines. GCT sounded like a good fit for us overall. This is partly because of the itinerary and partly because of the quality of the tours in the ports. We did wonder about the pullman beds, but our friends assured us that they are comfortable, long twin size. I can't recommend GCT from personal experience until after taking our trip, but my experience with the company has been positive so far.

If you are still considering GCT for the a river cruise along the Danube, you may want to read some reviews of this trip on their website. Btw, our friends took the GCT river cruise on the Danube this past August and really enjoyed it.

Have fun figuring out what is the best fit with your interests and priorities!

I'm taking my third gct cruise next month, Rhine Xmas markets. I've also cruised with Uniworld twice. I do agree with other posters that as gct only markets to Americans, there is a lack of diversity, and diversity is certainly something I really enjoyed on Uniworld. The Murphy beds! Perfectly comfortable. I've had balconies and I've been in aquarium class, but I spend so little time in my cabin, I don't care how it looks or its size. Gct really has excellent program managers on their ships, and hard working crew. The tour guides have been good too, and program directors are great at advising what to do with free time. Yes, it is less expensive, and the ships aren't quite as fancy, but the fellow cruisers are nice and the destinations fun, and that is what I'm looking for. Oh, I'm doing Eastern Europe on a GCT cruise next year.

• 1 month later...

I have been on seven trips with GCT. I took the Budapest to Prague last April. I loved it. The service with GCT is great. The directors go beyond the box to help travelers. The pulldown beds are very comfortable. Plus, the ships, in the guest area, windows are many and large.