daibetic restrictions on excursions

gbphatcat

I am not sure which topic to post this under so move it if you need to

i am type 2 well managed and i notice on several excursions they mention people with medical issues like diabetes should not take part

i am wanting to go zip lining in cozumel and roatan on my cruise in september have any othe people with diabetes done this before or have you been told no or any other info :)

I am not sure which topic to post this under so move it if you need to

i am type 2 well managed and i notice on several excursions they mention people with medical issues like diabetes should not take part

i am wanting to go zip lining in cozumel and roatan on my cruise in september have any othe people with diabetes done this before or have you been told no or any other info :)

Very interesting thread.

Gosh, I'm also a Type II diabetic which I control completely by diet and have been cruising for a very long time.

I've never seen anything about certain excursions not being suitable for diabetics. :confused:

Any additional information would be appreciated.

LuLu

~~~

Explor park on the mainland from cozumel say it is not recommended for diabetics to do the ziplining because of the heights involved and also the adrenaline rush may cause either a rise or a sudden dip in blood sugar levels

Explor park on the mainland from cozumel say it is not recommended for diabetics to do the ziplining because of the heights involved and also the adrenaline rush may cause either a rise or a sudden dip in blood sugar levels

That makes sense! Thanks so much for posting this. Good to know!

LuLu

~~~

As long as you are in good health a diabetic can do just about anything that a non-diabetic can. My wife, who is type 1, goes scuba diving, sky diving, zip lining, rock climbing and the list goes on. Some excusions may need a medical form completed by your doctor (scuba for example) so as long as you meet the standards for doing the activity then it should not be a problem.

The key is to be aware of possible affects on your disease of any activity you undertake. For example you wouldn't go for a run without first checking your BSL and making sure you had something on you in case of a hypo etc. The same thing applies for other activities. Assess the risks and make your decision based on you and your control.

On a bicycle excursion you filled out a quick form and they asked if your diabetic. I answered no because I bike ride often with no problems. I do take Those sugar pills with me everywhere in case my sugar starts to drop. I can feel it when it does..

If you have good control, I see no reason you cannot do this. Many athletes are diabetic, and there is really no basis for the "adrenaline rush" to have any ill effects on your control. I am type II, and I have been zip-lining (and done several other adventure sports since being diagnosed), and it had no effect at all on my diabetic control. I am also a nurse, and would not give counsel to my clients to avoid this.

Now I can talk to you about the time I broke my ankle zip-lining, but that had nothing at all to do with my diabetes (and I plan to do it again)!!!

Edited by Splinter