I just dont get this embarkation / boarding thing!

HellyDonandkids

I wouldn't walk. It is not an easy route with the children. I can walk around Venice on my morning punishment and cross all four bridges in no time at all but I am alone and there is nobody around.

Yes, sadly, that early. Oh to sleep in until ooh, six!

If you have the time, jump on alilaguna after you are checked in and baggage free. You don't need to sit in the square. There is an ice cream shop just under the clock. It won't break the budget. If, however, you sit outside Florians and have a glass of proscecco it will be 12 euros. This is to pay for the music. Cheaper inside and cheaper still if you stand. I have only sat outside but I seem to remember having to get a second mortgage when we had an ice cream there though.

Actually, I like your idea of a romantic weekend best. If it is good enough for George . .

Arriving at 9.40...it will take time to get through the airport, and on to the shuttle to the port, then check in queues, so, yes, the children will probably be tired and want to get on board ASAP.

When you've checked in, go up to the buffet at the back (aft) of Jade- deck 12. There used to be ice cream machines (free) along the corridor from the buffet to the outside area. Perhaps that will calm them down? Go and settle them, and have a coffee, whilst you make up your mind...

We'd go back on Jade in a moment- we've had two lovely cruises on her and rank her as one of our happiest ships.

You guys are a scream! Thanks for the bank loan tip, will get straight on it :o. Sounds like getting on board first is the best bet and then taking the ferry rather than the Vaparetto. Im going to try my best but just accept it if tiredness / time doesnt allow. I wonder if the kids club is open? It would be so much quicker without the kids! :D

• 1 month later...

It has been a few years since I visited Venice, wonderful city, best way to do it is go at least 2 days in advance, take the kids out of school if you must.

Then you can wonder around Venice and really enjoy it.

Sorry haven't been on for ages!yes we got on the ship (well we checked in), we jumped straight on the Aliguana ferry to piazza San Marco, walked round the square, got the kids an ice cream and headed back to the ship knowing we need to get back to Venice, minus our little cherubs ASAP lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am impressed that you are trying to pack so much in. I would actually recommend not trying to sight see in Venice as it will just be a little tease that will want you seeing more. I would get in the ship and enjoy relaxing after your flight and spend time exploring the ship. That way no one will have a melt down (American for temper tantrum), you won't be stressed about making it back yo the ship and you definitely won't miss the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise. My kids enjoyed traveling so much as small children that they all still travel with us at least once a year.