Ages of passengers on RSSC

40cub

My husband and I are in our late 40's. We took a Seabourn cruise last year to the Mediterranean and disliked it very much because it was a) stodgy and b) the median age of the passengers was about 65. We like the idea of a medium sized cruise line that is on the high end, but would like to have more people our age on board. On the other hand, we don't want a bunch of children around either. How would RSSC fit in to our expectations? :)

You should be fine as upper 40's. There aren't normally kids around except on some of the Alaska runs and they are generally out of sight. You'll be in the younger set, but I don't think you will feel out of place. It's a very friendly experience and age doesn't seem to enter into the equasion. When you go to Compass Rose, just ask to be seated with other people and the Dining Room Manager usually fits you in with compatible people. Just mingle and you'll meet lots of interesting people.

It is too bad you do not want people 65+. I am mid 50's and have been travelling solo on cruises for over 20 years. I have met a lot of people over the years and have found you can have stodgy and boring 40 year olds and fascinating 80 year olds. Every type come in every age group.

I have been on 4 Regent cruises and most of the time the people are really nice and friendly.

It is too bad you do not want people 65+. You can have stodgy and boring 40 year olds and fascinating 80 year olds. Every type come in every age group.

Here! Here! HomeLover. I completely agree. Many people in their advancing years have facinating stories to tell and experiences to share.

We are a young thinking couple in early and mid 50's. On a cruise for our Silver Wedding 4 years ago, we spent a lot of time - and had a great deal of fun I might add - with a lady who was in her 80's.

Age is completely irrelevant, what's more important is how you behave and how open and friendly you are.

I'm 44 and have been on several Regent cruises. The average age on Regent is the same as you described on your previous cruise. There are rarely children, and ocassionally teenagers.

From my experience there have been some but few other travellers my age group. While I've enjoyed many of the older passangers.. there are always several sour faces who you just want to stay clear of. Because of the smaller ship - they're just much more noticable.

I've sailed many of the cruise lines and Regent continues to be my personal favorite.

Being of the same age bracket and having traveled on RSSC in a few locales, I found that the oldest group of passengers we found was in Alaska. Having cruised 20+ times, I have never considered age as the factor of whether I would enjoy myself. If you want someone to party with after 10pm it may be, and has at times been, a factor.

RSSC ships are notoriously quiet in the evenings; much more so than Seabourn. That is, as managment says, it is changing over to a "liquor inclusive" policy...to get more action in the lounges.

Independent of that, RSSC has childrens' programs on most of its ships during holidays and the summer. While my kids have never than huge numbers sailing with them, if it is a great concern, check and see if there is a Club Mariner program before you book. (I am very sensitive to my kids' conduct and, therefore, observe all the children. I have not seen any problems on board as the programs are very good and the parents overall seem to have a similar approach.)

Well, 65 isn't what it used to be, they say 60 is the new 40. Then I guess 40 is the new 30 or something. I am mid-50s, my husband is 62--we like live country music in bars, my husband drives a motorcycle, what can I say?

So I would hardly call 65, "advancing years". My last cruise on Voyager, there was a real mix of ages, families with a few well-behaved (and lucky) kids, old codgers in wheelchairs, and plenty of mid-life, middle-aged people from 40-70. So you should feel entirely comfortable, depending on your itinerary. No one has ever accused RSSC of being stodgy, but you might feel most comfortable on the Paul Gauguin, which has a somewhat younger crowd, and definitely is a lively ship.

Age is entireley irrelevant. We have been on 12 cruises in the past 6 years and have always been surrounded by wonderful people. Of course, there are those who want to ba alone, and, unfortunatley, those who cannot get around much. But the age bracket is totally of no consequence when booking a cruise. We are very active 79's. We look like 60,act like 40, and generally make friends with all ages when cruising. And there are many, many people just like us, and do we all have fun!!

We were recently on the PG (July). because it is summer their were quite a few children, but they were mostly out of sight during the day. Their seems to be a children's leader that keeps them busy. There were also lots of young honeymooners. I'd say it was about 1/3 honeymooner, 1/3 60+ and 1/3 40-60.

We too are in our early 50's and have 10 Regent cruises under our belt including the July 26 in Alaska. We are late bloomers with a now 15 year old who has joined us on every cruise. We have taken 10 other cruises on other lines. Our son totally loves and enjoys the youth activities on Regent. And, yes, there is a Club Mariner whether it is stated on the website or not. We sailed the British Isles 3 years ago and he was part of an elite little group of 12 - all ages and all very well occupied by the staff. They do an amazing job with the youth - so much so that he rarely sees us except for dinner or excursions. We are keenly aware of rowdy, ill behaved kids and point them out to ours every chance we get. I can honestly say we have never observed anything remotely like that on a Regent cruise. As for the ages of others - I have to agree with several of the other posters . . . . there are many boring and stuffy 40 year olds and plenty of fun, interesting, intelligent and witty over 80 year olds. Our 91 year old uncle was the talk of the ship last week - handsome, sweet, smart and a great dancer!!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, 65 isn't what it used to be, they say 60 is the new 40. Then I guess 40 is the new 30 or something. I am mid-50s, my husband is 62--we like live country music in bars, my husband drives a motorcycle, what can I say?

So I would hardly call 65, "advancing years". My last cruise on Voyager, there was a real mix of ages, families with a few well-behaved (and lucky) kids, old codgers in wheelchairs, and plenty of mid-life, middle-aged people from 40-70. So you should feel entirely comfortable, depending on your itinerary. No one has ever accused RSSC of being stodgy, but you might feel most comfortable on the Paul Gauguin, which has a somewhat younger crowd, and definitely is a lively ship.

You two look alot younger!!!!

We were pleasantly surprised to see a definitely younger crowd on the Navigator August sailing, in addition of course to us old codgers. I believe there were around 55 children and teens on board and the active (and very well run) Club Mariner program kept them busy and out of trouble. I was surprised at the variety of activities offered, including cooking class, group meals, and a group night at Portofino's. This gave the parents freedom to do "adult things", including having relaxed meals in the dining room. The parents raved about the program. I was really impressed! I've been on cruises with fewer youngun's aboard that were certainly more disruptive.

There were more 30's, 40's and 50's aboard than I ever seen before. The excellent dining room folks are experts at matching people at tables.

The head of the children's program on the Navigator, Christine, is a school teacher in Canada during the school year. Unfortunately, she has just finished for the summer and will not be returning.

She told me that just the week prior there were only 6 children on board, which was a cruise to the Northern Europe area. It seems that the itinerary as much as the time of year makes a difference in child population.

Well Ata, give me a clue! At least tell me which cruise you know us from. I'm guessing PG or Voyager (Pip or Wave), since I've not had a public "presence" on any other cruises.

Nope no cruise. Dinner back in May at the steakhouse in Toronto. And I understand you and your hubby may be coming to NY in Nov. You'd better let us know!

Ah, okay, now I can guess!!. I don't think we're coming to New York in November. Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, but that's just an outside chance, we usually go to the cottage. We'll see.

That was a really terrible steak house, wasn't it? I hope next time we can do better.

I think the age of passengers somewhat depends on the destination. We were on the Paul Gaugin in French Polynesia and there was quite a cross section of ages--some younger, some older than we are--late fifties. However, most people were quite active, regardless of their age. Except on a few specific cruises, Regent does not have children's activities, so there are usually none or just a few older kids.

I am 13 years old and I have been on Regent 5 times. On Holiday cruises, you can find a fair amount of kids and teenagers but besides that, you will find none. Regent is a very kid friendly cruise line when there are kids on board. I went once over Thanksgiving and I was the only kid on their....wasn't so much fun. But yes, the ages are usually 30-60.

I don't think you have to worry. On our last cruise we (ages 51 and 58) I'd say the ages ranged from early 30's to late 70's and everything inbetween. The majority I'd put in the age group between 40-60. We dined with two other couples several times whose ages ranged from 31-45.

The attitude with which you approach people is the attitude you get back.

"All along I thought I was looking out a window and now I know I was just looking in a mirror...."

Dennis

An afternoon on the Norway 1981

Christmas cruise 7 night1984

Sky Princess 10 night

Russian Cruise Line 4 night

Crown Monarch 7 night

Festival Carnival 7 night

Norway 7 night September 1989

Regent Sea 15 night Panama Canal 1993

Commodore Caribe 7 night

Regal Princess 7 night 1998

Star Princess 7 night 1999

Zuiderdam Holland America 14 night 2000 ( Dec)

Tropical Carnival 5 night 2001

Norway August 7 night 2002

Rydam Holland America 19 night South America 2003

Westerdam Holland America 7 night 2004

Zenith Celebrity 14 night March 2005

Celebration Carnival 5 night September 2005

MSV Lucia Central America 21 night Christmas 2005

Celebration Carnival 4 nights August 2006

Seven Seas Mariner 18 nights November 2006

Archived