December 2018 10-Day: Epic or Gem

Caraec

Good morning! I have never sailed NCL before, but I am considering a 10-day cruise next December. I could afford either a regular balcony or a mini suite. Here are my options:

Option 1: Cruising out of New Orleans on the Gem:

Day 1: New Orleans

Day 2: At Sea

Day 3: Cozumel

Day 4: Roatan (love Roatan!)

Day 5: Harvest Caye (Meh)

Day 6: Costa Maya (Never been here)

Day 7: George Town

Day 8: Ocho Rios (Never been here)

Day 9: At Sea

Day 10: At Sea

Day 11: New Orleans

Initial thoughts: Love Roatan and would love to go again. Would rather not have all the port days grouped together like this. I think five in a row is a lot! Not as crazy about the Thursday-Sunday itinerary. Two new ports.

Option 2: Cruising out of Orlando on the Epic

Day 1: Orlando

Day 2: Grand Stirrup Cay (Never been here)

Day 3: At Sea

Day 4: Ocho Rios (Never been here)

Day 5: George Town (Love!)

Day 6: At Sea

Day 7: Harvest Caye (Meh)

Day 8: Costa Maya (Never been)

Day 9: Cozumel

Day 10: At Sea

Day 11: Orlando

Initial thoughts: Not crazy about sailing out of Orlando. Large ship. Can't afford the luxury area. Love the way the ports are broken up with sea days. Three new ports. Really like the Wednesday-Saturday itinerary.

So what would you do, and why?

I'd choose the Gem. I've been on both ships. If you can't afford the Haven in the Epic I would go with the Gem. The only redeeming thing about the Epic is the Haven,

I think in general the Epic is way over crowded, the pool deck, now that they've moved the outdoor dining area onto the pool deck and they've put the ropes course right on the pool deck it severely limits the outdoor space on that ship. It's got a huge, huge number of people and extremely limited outdoor space.

The only variation in the itinerary seems to be Roatan and NOLA vs. Port Canaveral and GSC. GSC is by far the worst private island I have been to (out of four). I would save yourself a tender port and definitely revisit Roatan if you loved it so much. As for Port Canaveral vs. NOLA, Port Canaveral is an hour's drive from Orlando, whereas NOLA ships leave from NOLA. I have not been on the Epic, but we loved the Gem. I would choose the Gem without a doubt in my mind.

Five ports in a row is not that bad, either. You could always stay onboard during a port and enjoy the empty ship.

I agree with Tiggertastic post. Been on both ships. Both are so different. So price, ports, location and entertainment need to be considered.. We did the Gem from NYC this May and are booked for this Dec on the Epic for the second time. Both great ships.