A Deaf cruiser's questions

ZaWeible

I am sailing on the Wonder on Dec 21 and I already put the cruise line provided stateroom communication kit on the reservation and I had a few questions about that:

1. Just in general, does anyone have any previous experiences with Disney's accommodations for deaf/hard of hearing cruisers? I've looked into the accommodations already and was wondering how well they work out.

2. It's a bit silly but it's a deep burning question of mine, can either the provided TTY or the wave phones contact room service (or guest services) via text? It would be nice to not have to depend on the hearing members of my party whenever I have a snack attack lol!

One last question, not really deaf/hard of hearing specific:

3. DCL's website keeps mentioning that the adult lounges have late night snacks, can anyone confirm this and provide any comments on the variety or quality of said snacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wave phones do text. I know they can contact guest services. Sorry, don't know about in room dining (room service)

Late night snacks are provided at 10:45 in the night club area. On our most recent cruise (September 2014), the variety had been increased and they were also served for families in the Promenade Lounge. THere was a hot snack (wings, coconut shrimp, etc), a plate of veges and dip, a plate of fruits (melon, strawberries, grapes, etc), and one or two plates of single serving desserts. The assortment varied each night. SOMETIMES there were chocolate covered strawberries, sometimes not. There was also a plate of assorted cheeses and crackers. Sometimes the selection was different at the two locations.

Angela is an amazing interpreter. I really hope you have her. Yes, the interpreters work as a team of two, but Angela is our all time favorite. My daughter studied ASL in high school and college. On a high school cruise, we were seated next to the table with a deaf child; the interpreters were dining with the family (this is an option--if you don't want them at dinner, they will be seated at their own table). We commented on how much we enjoyed watching them at the shows, and Angela taught my daughter some Disney signs. That was probably 8 years ago, and we always consider any cruise with her to be special. Another fun thing--sometimes the entertainers will "punk" the interpreters--repeating incredibly silly things just to make the interpreters sign them. It can be hysterical. Of course the interpreters take it as a good natured joke. It is well worth seeing some of the variety shows.

Sorry, I don't know about the deaf alterations in the room. My guess is that they are good--I KNOW that the wheelchair accessible alterations are absolutely state of the art. I have cruised with 2 people who use chairs (one a recent thing and only needed sometimes/long distances, the other mobility impaired since childhood). The woman with lifelong issues has served as a consultant for building projects, etc., and commented that Disney did it right and had the sort of changes that would meet all wheelchair needs. Sorry that I can't specifically address the deaf situation.

Edited by moki'smommy

Late night snacks are provided at 10:45 in the night club area. On our most recent cruise (September 2014), the variety had been increased and they were also served for families in the Promenade Lounge. THere was a hot snack (wings, coconut shrimp, etc), a plate of veges and dip, a plate of fruits (melon, strawberries, grapes, etc), and one or two plates of single serving desserts. The assortment varied each night. SOMETIMES there were chocolate covered strawberries, sometimes not. There was also a plate of assorted cheeses and crackers. Sometimes the selection was different at the two locations.

But I've read that the snacks have been lessened or even gone on some sailings, with ebola as the stated reason.

But I've read that the snacks have been lessened or even gone on some sailings, with ebola as the stated reason.

WHAT??? I can see the snacks possibly lessening, but ebola as the reason makes NO sense at all. DCL did issue a statement (I'm sure Shmoo can locate it!:)) basically saying that they are following all CDC guidelines, there are no crew members from areas where ebola has been reported, etc.

They have periodically changed the snacks from a serve yourself buffet to one where the CM serves you when there have been issues of norovirus on the ships.

THe only caviar I've ever seen in the Cadillac lounge was a teensy amount as a garnish on other items. It isn't there as a dip or in any real amount. I don't remember seeing any on our 2014 Magic cruise.

Same in the MDRs--very small amounts used as a garnish. So little that it may as well not be there, but it is just enough to list it on the menu.

WHAT??? I can see the snacks possibly lessening' date=' but ebola as the reason makes NO sense at all. DCL did issue a statement (I'm sure Shmoo can locate it!:)) basically saying that they are following all CDC guidelines, there are no crew members from areas where ebola has been reported, etc.

They have periodically changed the snacks from a serve yourself buffet to one where the CM serves you when there have been issues of norovirus on the ships.[/quote']

Of course it makes no sense. :) But that's what people have reported. When we got back from our cruises in October, ebola was the given reason for all sorts of oddities on both of our cruise (Royal then Disney).

Pretty sure we're all using the same different message board as another source of info, and it had been there and here as well when we got home in late October.

No, I don't use another message board as my info source--I use my own experience on the ships and I try to be clear as to when and which ship my most recent relevant experience is from.

My experience with another message board (the one where a travel agency controls what can be posted and discussed) is that this amounts to spreading gossip. Some of the info is accurate, some is totally wrong. Of course there are occasions where wrong info is posted here also. Even posting one's experiences can be inaccurate in the sense that DCL changes policies regularly and what happened in November may not be their method in December. But we all continue to try.

As of this past spring (April 2014), I believe Diversions was the most reliable source of late night food for snacking (in terms of quantity and length of time the food was out). The buffet was the same each night and had a sort of sports bar theme: chicken wings, carrot and celery sticks, nachos, and hot dogs.

The next best was the Promenade Lounge that often had snacks after dinner (say 10pm) until maybe 11:30 or so. This might be fruit, nachos, cheese, mini desserts, etc.

Things might or might not have changed since then.

I did not try ordering caviar in the Cadillac Lounge. But in December of 2012 I tried that in the equivalent space on the Disney Magic and the staff said that had been discontinued since not enough people were buying it to make it worth while.

I'm sorry, but I haven't had any experiences with the TTY phones, so no info there. As for the typical wave phones, they are like the original cell phones with just 10 keys for typing, so an "A" is 2, a "B" is 22, a "C" is 222, etc. It works, but isn't the fastest means of typing.

Thanks for the replies. As you can tell, I'm all about food.

I've heard very little about Pinocchio's pizzeria even though it's right there on the pool deck in the middle of everything. Can anyone offer any feedback?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the replies. As you can tell, I'm all about food.

I've heard very little about Pinocchio's pizzeria even though it's right there on the pool deck in the middle of everything. Can anyone offer any feedback?

We prefer the pizza from room service. Pinocchio's is....well, not the best. Good pizza on the ship--Palo! Next, room service. Since you are all about the food, don't forget about the goodies in the Cove Cafe. In September, the executive pastry chef was on board and changed the standard mid-day munchies (not sure if the changes were a "try out" or permanent). There are breakfast rolls and pastries, mid day desserts, and 6 pm anti-pasta. All yummy.

The basic concept was the same in September but the specific items offered changed after many years of it being quite consistent. There is no cost for the munchies, just for the starbucks style beverages.

Edited by moki'smommy

DISNEY CRUISE LINE

All four Disney Cruise Line ships now offer messaging capabilities via the mobile Navigator app so you can stay connected with family and friends onboard. The mobile app, which is the electronic version of the ships' daily Navigators, allows you to see activities for the whole cruise all at once. The app is available for Apple and Andriod smartphones and is free to download and use. To find out more details about the app and see some of its coolest features, visit disneycruise.com.

DISNEY CRUISE LINE

All four Disney Cruise Line ships now offer messaging capabilities via the mobile Navigator app so you can stay connected with family and friends onboard. The mobile app, which is the electronic version of the ships' daily Navigators, allows you to see activities for the whole cruise all at once. The app is available for Apple and Andriod smartphones and is free to download and use. To find out more details about the app and see some of its coolest features, visit disneycruise.com.

Oh joy! I've heard a little about that and got exited but was worried that it wouldn't be ready for my Dec 21 sailing.

We have read the news with anticipation for our Feb 15 Dream cruise. Have not heard from anyone who has used it yet.

The mobile app was definitely up and running on our Sept Magic cruise. I think it was working on our May cruise as well. I know my daughter used it....but not 100% sure about May. Works fine...depending on what you want to do. It does NOT use any internet time. You don't even have to purchase an internet package to use it.

It basically is like a mobile Navigator, but with more info. You can look up menus for the various restaurants (not just what is open when like the paper navigators), more info on various activities, etc. And you can look up stuff for the whole cruise, not just that day.

Does the navigator app work with the phone in airplane mode? I don't want to incur any international roaming charges.

It should, If you can turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi at the same time.

Just got off the Wonder and the late nite snack provided in the Cadillac lounge was ....... get ready for it ......... peanuts! Could have done better staying in our cabin and ordering room service.

That's all we've ever had in Cadillac Lounge - nuts. I'm never seen a snack set up in there. Only in Diversions (you can take the food from there to the Cadillac Lounge, if you want), and in Promenade Lounge. As well as Cove Café.

Just got off the Wonder and the late nite snack provided in the Cadillac lounge was ....... get ready for it ......... peanuts! Could have done better staying in our cabin and ordering room service.

...aaaand what's wrong with peanuts?

Ok I'm kidding, you have a point.

But I'm glad I caused this little known hidden golden nugget about late night snacks to be dug up for everyone else to see.

The late night snacks are NOT in the Cadillac Lounge. They are served in Diversions and Promenade Lounge (Magic and Wonder) and in the patio area of the nightclub district on the Fantasy. Serving starts at 10:45 pm. Cadillac lounge has just a few munchies--peanuts, pretzels--and those in small numbers. You are welcome to get your stuff in Diversions and take it to any other lounge you'd like though.

Cove Cafe has different snacks at about 6 pm, as do Diversions and Promenade. Cove Cafe does not have the 10:45 (used to be 11:00) snacks.

Edited by moki'smommy

• 2 weeks later...

Exited because my sailing on the wonder is tomorrow! Not sure if I'll end up avoiding some of the more cheesy elements or have a sudden decrease in age and embrace the cheese. I keep forgetting about the added Christmas day/eve elements in addition to the usual Very Merrytime goodies.

When you board' date=' go to Guest Services and ask for a ticket for the gingerbread making session. These go quickly. One ticket is good for up to 4 people in a family.

Have fun![/quote']

Oh thanks for that! We were,,,wondering (pun 100% intended) about the ginger bread session,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Got back home yesterday, wow! Had the best time! here is my mini review:

I can give you plenty of reasons to go with DCL without kids, being Disney tolerant does help a lot.

They could have put forth more effort to be more Christmas festive, I had to constantly remind myself that it was Christmas eve/day. The atrium was heavily decked and there were a few mini trees in a few lounges, don't forget the giant gingerbread house and a few CMs were wearing holiday attire, the decorations ended there. I did appreciate the bonuses on Christmas eve/day, on Christmas eve, the stateroom host left a box of chocolates and a happy holidays poster. There were tables with help yourself cookies and hot chocolate here and there. Christmas day, the dining rooms were lightly decked, the menu was holiday themed with ham and roast turkey. Also, they left 2015 DCL themed calendars in the staterooms, possibly because it's close to new years.

This was my third cruise, the previous two being on Royal Caribbean. Overall, the quality of the cruise was indeed higher on DCL but not by an awful lot. The food on DCL easily wins over RCL food, especially in the buffets (BBB vs. Windjammer) the MDRs on DCL wins over RCL but only slightly. What I really appreciated was that DCL had more complimentary food varieties than RCL. On every other aspect, DCL has a slight edge over RCL.

Speaking of food, I CHOWED! I ate all three meals of the day twice almost everyday. I would eat the four course dinner, go get soft serve from Goofy's Galley, get a slice from pinocchio's, get some "late night" wings from Diversions, retreat to my stateroom and order a cheese platter from RS, go get more soft serve and a coke from the beverage station and then finally settle in for the night around 11:30. I don't eat like this while on land!

Speaking of late night snacks, Diversions had a small buffet with hot dogs, (awesome) wings, tortilla chips with salsa and a few other dips. The promenade lounge just had the chips and dips. The Diversions buffet was available as early as 7:30. I found Pinocchio's pizza better than RS pizza, in contrast to everyone's feedback.

The Deaf aspects, I had to manually request the communication kit from guest services, despite putting it on the reservation months in advance. The TTY and door knocker did not work, wasn't much of a bother. The interpreters were wonderful. One of them met me at my muster station during the drill. They would occasionally visit our table at dinner and interpreted the theatre productions (I went to the shows 4/5 nights.) They had two automatically scheduled open captioned movie showings of Big Hero 6 and Into the Woods, both early in the morning and on port days, not too convenient. However, they did let me personally chose a showtime and they made sure that showtime had OC. Overall, I was pleased with their efforts.

I loved Castaway Cay! When compared to Coco Cay, RCL's private island, Castaway was more polished, civilized while Coco Cay was less developed, more island like. After a long swim in the snorkeling lagoon, the mini sunken ship had plenty of fish swimming in and around it. I made a quick trip to the adult exclusive beach, very quiet, the water was much more clear and there were hammocks! Pelican Plunge was very nice, a unique concept of swimming to the platform. PP tried to take away my U.S. citizenship, I lost both my government FL ID and my KTTW card. A good samaritan somehow found my FL ID so I was able to board the ship.

Also, more people participated in pirate night than formal night.