Playa Palancar - No response back - Open Christmas Day?

etalplluf

Hi there,

I've written Playa Palancar about pricing for snorkeling, but haven't gotten a response back. And now that I examine our itinerary closer, we will be in Cozumel ON Christmas Day, so I'm wondering if they will even be open ?? Any ideas/help appreciated.

Thanks,

if Christmas is on a weekday, like this year, and crusie ships are in most beaches that cater to cruise ships will be open. Christmas eve is a bigger affair and places tend to close early. It's also a Sunday this year so many places will be closed. Places that cater to locals will be closed. You may or may not find the snorkel operation closed.

if you don't hear back from Playa Palancar directly, try contacting viator(dot)com. They run snorkeling excursions from the beach there so they would know .

Thanks for the quick response. I've never been to Cozumel, but it sounds as if Planacar is more of a local beach?? (at least compared to the all-inclusive type ones), so that's why I wondered. I figured that Paradise/Sanchos, etc. would be open because there are cruise ships docking and there's money to be made. Thanks for the tip on viator - I'll give it a little bit and if I don't hear back, I'll try that route. Have a great day!

Thanks for the quick response. I've never been to Cozumel, but it sounds as if Planacar is more of a local beach?? (at least compared to the all-inclusive type ones), so that's why I wondered. I figured that Paradise/Sanchos, etc. would be open because there are cruise ships docking and there's money to be made. Thanks for the tip on viator - I'll give it a little bit and if I don't hear back, I'll try that route. Have a great day!

If it is a Sunday Sanchos will most likely be closed as they are normally, so I would think they would definitely be at Christmas. Paradise Beach will probably be open, but I would check.

I have never docked on a Sunday but ships do on occasions but not normally. It is considered much more a "local" day for families to enjoy themselves. I have stayed for land vacations on a Sunday and I have always thought if I docked I would contact a resort hotel for a day pass, lots of options through the usual brokers, Island Marketing, Cozumel Watersports etc.

Christmas day is a Monday, so it will be interesting to see if Playa Palancar is open. Thanks all.

OK, I didn't check- took Crew's word for it!

Have you used the contact form on their new website, or maybe written direct to the email listed there? I wrote direct several years ago and got a reply quite quickly.

I think the dive company maybe Dalila, maybe they have a direct contact?

I wouldn't exactly call Palancar a local beach, just quieter than the popular clubs. There are no water toys and longer taxi ride means more expensive transport costs, which keeps numbers down. That said, on my last visit we arrived at lunchtime and I have to say it was very busy - good for business but not the same experience we have had previously.

I used the contact form. I will look for a direct email and try that if possible. AND will check into Davila. You guys have given me some great options to try - - I'm always up for a challenge :) Since I've never been there, I guess "local" wasn't the exact term for it...but yes, we are looking for further away, less crowded etc.Appreciate all of the input! I'll keep you updated. I'm giving them a week or so through the "contact form", and then I'll do some digging on my own via the options you all provided.

Have a good one....

OK, I didn't check- took Crew's word for it!

:oOops in re-reading my post, I meant Christmas Eve was on a Sunday this year. Should have stated that Christmas Day was on Monday. apologies for any confusion.

Yes Playa Palancar was our very first Caribbean beach on our first cruise in 2002 and it was idyllic, we were the only couple there then and one dive group stopped in for lunch. 20 min taxi from the cruise terminal so I guess that and the fact it's not a major beach club keeps the crowds down. We'll revisit Playa Palancar when down to Playa again.

I'm told the beach at the end of the road at Punta Sur Park is the prettiest beach and offers better snorkeling, at least if you get out to the reef. But that's a 20 minute drive to the entrance and another 20 minute drive to the beach, and you may need a boat out to the reef, not sure, and they may not be open as well. But we do like the Bob Marley Bar right there (now the "Freedom in Paradise Reggae Beach Bar" I see). So this would work for us on a day trip from Playa but on a cruise I think you'd want to rent a car from ISIS.

But we're interested in whether Playa Palancar is open on Christmas Day if you find out!

Hello all,

The "tip" to actually email them (instead of just using their contact form) paid off! I don't know why I didn't think of it myself, but THANK YOU for that suggestion. After emailing, it took 3 days to hear from someone (ahhh...the island life! :). Then it took about 5 emails to clarify that they ARE open on Christmas Day. The responder's English was shaky at best, and he kept saying "if" we are open. I ended up typing it in English, then going to Google to translate it, explaining that "if" meant "maybe". We had a good chuckle when it was all said and done. But, in the end, it was confirmed that they ARE open. :) Thanks for everyone's help!

Glad to hear you got answers in the end! Have you checked out all the photos on Mitsugirly's review (and it used to be cash only, no credit cards)?

Hope you have a good day!

Edited by c-leg5

We're looking forward to a visit in 2 weeks and seeing how much Playa Palancar has changed - if any - since 2002...

I actually try to avoid many of the detailed and pictured reviews by Mitsugirly and others because it can spoil our first experience. Research definitely, and I do rely on help here as well as from other sources, but we like to see places fresh, if that makes sense...

Enjoy your day etalplluf!

We're looking forward to a visit in 2 weeks and seeing how much Playa Palancar has changed - if any - since 2002...

I actually try to avoid many of the detailed and pictured reviews by Mitsugirly and others because it can spoil our first experience. Research definitely, and I do rely on help here as well as from other sources, but we like to see places fresh, if that makes sense...

Enjoy your day etalplluf!

To each there own- some people like to see if it "feels" right, before they commit. It was merely a suggestion for IF the OP wanted to look.

I think you will find it has changed, we certainly think it has.

I agree c-leg5....I'm visual and like to SEE it first... (I'm not so good at Christmas present/surprises - GO FIGURE!).

Thanks again all.... and if anyone goes in the next weeks or months, please post the good, the bad and the ugly! :)

Have a great day,

I agree c-leg5....I'm visual and like to SEE it first... (I'm not so good at Christmas present/surprises - GO FIGURE!).

Thanks again all.... and if anyone goes in the next weeks or months, please post the good, the bad and the ugly! :)

Have a great day,

You are welcome!

We haven't done snorkeling but we have enjoyed our times there.