Please talk to me about Penthouse Spa Suites...

florisdekort

Hello,

My first ever Seabourn cruise is coming up in August, and my second one in December, both on Quest. I would be very appreciative if someone could share some insights on the pros and cons of the Penthouse Spa Suites. Have you stayed in one? Good choice? Bad choice? Thanks!

Cheers,

Floris

Depends what you are looking for.

There are plenty of threads on this, but from personal experience if you want to dine out or sit out on your terrace you will encounter problems with soot. This gets on your clothes, chairs, flooring etc. the soot is due to the rear location, and the spa deck which is beneath the suites sometimes suffers problems

Canopies have been added to the balconies but to be honest i dont think they make much difference to the amount of soot.

The rooms are decorated to a high standard and are slightly more spacious than the normal penthouses, but the standard penthouses do not suffer the soot issues.

Also, being at the back of the ship the amount of motion is significantly heightened, so if you get seasick this room is not for you.

There are the extras of fruit juices, a nice selection of spa products, loffahs etc.

However, enough to justify the extra cost and hassle of motion and soot, i dont personally think so.

They are lovely rooms, but this comes with a large caveat which is a non starter for many SB regulars.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

florisdekort: I really think it would be worthwhile for you search this forum for threads on the penthouse spa suites. There are a lot of comments; some with very different opinions and many positive reports as well. Then you have to weigh your options. Many people have had different experiences and have different priorities, so you have to read these opinions carefully. We are booked in 1090 on the Quest ad can't wait!

Hello,

My first ever Seabourn cruise is coming up in August, and my second one in December, both on Quest. I would be very appreciative if someone could share some insights on the pros and cons of the Penthouse Spa Suites. Have you stayed in one? Good choice? Bad choice? Thanks!

Cheers,

Floris

Her is the link to the current discussion on spa suites.......it was half way down on Page 1. The most recent comment was about a day ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1895733

Depends what you are looking for.

There are plenty of threads on this, but from personal experience if you want to dine out or sit out on your terrace you will encounter problems with soot. This gets on your clothes, chairs, flooring etc. the soot is due to the rear location, and the spa deck which is beneath the suites sometimes suffers problems

Canopies have been added to the balconies but to be honest i dont think they make much difference to the amount of soot.

The rooms are decorated to a high standard and are slightly more spacious than the normal penthouses, but the standard penthouses do not suffer the soot issues.

Also, being at the back of the ship the amount of motion is significantly heightened, so if you get seasick this room is not for you.

There are the extras of fruit juices, a nice selection of spa products, loffahs etc.

However, enough to justify the extra cost and hassle of motion and soot, i dont personally think so.

They are lovely rooms, but this comes with a large caveat which is a non starter for many SB regulars.

Interested in understanding why you think the soot issue has not been remedied by the canopies? Other posts have suggested it was no longer an issue. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I did notice the other discussion right after I posted, duh!

It sounds like the Spa Suites are lovely except for the slightly strange entrance via the Spa and the soot issue. I find it hard to size the soot issue. We've cruised a lot in Azamara's aft Suites, and despite similar horror stories about soot on Cruise Critic, we've never had a substantial issue. I've always been able to quickly remove the occasional flake with a tissue.

Interested in understanding why you think the soot issue has not been remedied by the canopies? Other posts have suggested it was no longer an issue. Thanks.

Hi, soot issue was not remedied for us, as we had the same experience in a PHS with a canopy and also in one previously without. Soot situation was as bad as before, but both times were in a corner suite, which seems to have the worst problem with soot for us.

With the canopy the soot issue was still recognised by SB as a problem, and if you like sitting out and eating out, like we do, soot in your food and your clothing, which gets ruined as it stains badly, is a major issue.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Hi, soot issue was not remedied for us, as we had the same experience in a PHS with a canopy and also in one previously without. Soot situation was as bad as before, but both times were in a corner suite, which seems to have the worst problem with soot for us.

With the canopy the soot issue was still recognised by SB as a problem, and if you like sitting out and eating out, like we do, soot in your food and your clothing, which gets ruined as it stains badly, is a major issue.

Thanks for the first hand insight. Did you find any rhyme or reason to it? For example, if the ship is underway at normal speed, would the soot not carry out beyond the stern? I'm trying to understand how the soot would leave the stacks and be able to collect back underneath the canopy unless there's some kind of vacuum phenomenon involved owing to design and structure.

And, finally, how did Seabourn address your particular case as it sounds as if you raised it to their attention.

I'm very interested in this topic as I am booked on a 2016 transatlantic crossing in PS1090 and wondering whether this issue is material enough to cause me to re-think.

Thanks again.

Hi, we couldnt figure out how it was still happening, but it has been significant enough for SB to be well aware of the problem ongoing and they cleaned our clothes and gave us spa credit. However, it did ruin ones enjoyment of the balcony facility, and furniture which was filthy every morning.

Both of our cruises were on the Odyssey in PS1094 and were port intensive, significant soot fall in the afternoons, when ship was idling and when she started up to go to the next port of call, we could see the chunks of soot floating in the air!

To add, when the canopies were first placed a deep clean of the outside decking was done, this is again now heavily marked with black stains from the soot fall.

Im sorry i cant provide an explanation for you, but i hope i have at least helped you a little.

Hi, we couldnt figure out how it was still happening, but it has been significant enough for SB to be well aware of the problem ongoing and they cleaned our clothes and gave us spa credit. However, it did ruin ones enjoyment of the balcony facility, and furniture which was filthy every morning.

Both of our cruises were on the Odyssey in PS1094 and were port intensive, significant soot fall in the afternoons, when ship was idling and when she started up to go to the next port of call, we could see the chunks of soot floating in the air!

To add, when the canopies were first placed a deep clean of the outside decking was done, this is again now heavily marked with black stains from the soot fall.

Im sorry i cant provide an explanation for you, but i hope i have at least helped you a little.

Yes, you have, thank you. A note back from SB to me, based on my expressed concern, said the problem had been addressed. Seems not, then. I'm wondering if it's less an issue when the ship is moving forward at some speed. So, in my case, a crossing might be less of a problem although I guess I wouldn't wear my best tux out back when stopped at Funchal although I could always use a Spa credit since it's just down the stairs icon7.gif. Thanks again for your feedback.

• 3 months later...

Looking to maybe upgrade to a PH Spa Suite on an upcoming cruise on the Odyssey, but a couple of questions:

On the side-facing suites (1090&1093) it's stated that the bedroom has its own window, where is the window? From the floorplans the bedroom is either bordered by the living area, bathroom, walk-in closet or the foajé. Is the layout different or is the walk-in relocated?

We're on a port-intensive Mediterranean cruise, meaning potential "fallout problems" for both breakfast and sailaways, is the soot problem now FINALLY resolved?

Ship movement in the Eastern Med in August; a potential problem?

Thanks!

We were recently on the Quest in a PH Spa Suite. We LOVED it! The window in the bedroom is on the outside wall. It was one of our most favorite things about the suite. You can look out onto the ocean and when sitting in the chair by the window it feels like you are right in the ocean. We had NO soot issues. As far as movement--- it is like the weather. One never knows; just good luck or bad luck. I wrote a complete review of our April sailing on the Quest including details on the suite. Happy Sailing!

We loved it. We stayed in both the regular Penthouse and the Penthouse Spa. Both are fabulous. The only negative for the Spa Suite would be the stairs for those with limited mobility. For ladies with heels who enjoy a cocktail or three, merely removing your shoes at the end of the evening is an easy solution. The soot that others complain about was never a problem. We loved being two levels away from the Colonnade, and easy access to gym and spa. Had free access to the serene area, but didn't find it that appealing, preferring instead our grand balcony. As for motion, yes, there is more, but we love rocking and rolling and never suffer seasickness, but if you do, probably steer clear of PH Spa Suite to South America, but Med should be fine as it hugs the coastline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Hobar