Cruising in Great Barrier Reef

i am planning a trip for my husband's 50th birthday and we want to spend 3 weeks in the Cairns area, Hamilton Island and cruising in the Great Barrier Reef. I have several questions:

1) Is there any significant difference in the weather, water temperature, wind, whale watching, rain and underwater visibility between early June and early September? Our potential dates are either:

1a) May 27 - June 16 or

1b) August 26 - September 15.

2) We are considering doing two different cruises to see two parts of the Great Barrier Reef and spending 5 days in between the cruises to do some land tours around Cairns such as Daintree Rainforest and the railway to Kurunda. Any feedback on these two cruises:

2a) Coral Expeditions II - 7 night cruise of Northern GBR with max of 44 guests

2b) Sydney Sundancer - 7 night sailing cruise around Whitsunday Islands with max of 6-8 guests

3) On the Coral Expeditions II, is there any difference between the 4 deluxe staterooms? I think I read somewhere that two of the deluxe staterooms may have more windows but I can't tell from the website.

4) So far, I have chosen the two cruises above because they each offer completely different 7 night cruises so I think we will get to see many of the islands in the Great Barrier Reef in one trip. Coral Expeditions sails as far south as Dunk Island and Hinchenbrook and goes as far north as Lizard Island. In contrast, the Sydney Sundancer covers the Whitsunday Islands which are not covered by Coral Expeditions such as Hamilton Island, Hayman Island and Whitehaven Beach. Are there any other small cruise lines or sailing cruises that you'd recommend investigating?

Thanks,

MoonTrek:)

We visited Whitsundays late August/ September and the weather and water temperatures where perfect. I think you have a better chance of seeing the whales during this time but other people should be able to confirm this. Regarding the small cruise ships I am not able to help you with this, but your plans sound fantastic. Winter is the best time to see all these parts, it is not wet season and there will be no humidity. Good luck with your plans

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I live in the Whitsunday area and now is perfect to visit. The weather is lovely, coolish but not cold although the water temp may be too cool for swimming. The whales are starting to pass through now and should be around for another month.

It lovely on Hamilton Island at this time of year.

Looking at your options, I'd suggest August/September. Earlier in August the better.

Hello, with regards to the windows on Coral Expeditions II, the two rear Deluxe Staterooms have windows side and back, whereas obviously the next ones along only have a side window. You wont spend a lot of time in your room so probably doesn't matter greatly, and perhaps you will draw the back rear curtains anyway if you are in the room as the rear windows are straight onto the rear deck with people going up and down the stairs..

Nice cruise though!

• 2 weeks later...
My suggestion is that whenever you travel, aim for the outer reef. Mind blowing.

Snorkelling the outer reef is much better but only when the wind is down. If the wind is up then the inner reef will be much more comfortable.:D

My family travelled to the GBR in Feb 2016. We were blessed with calm seas and water temp of 30C. We went to the outer reef. Just magical. It varies from day to day. We were on Radiance and travelled with Quicksilver out of Port Douglas. It was one of my bucket list moments. Just do it!