Land of the midnight sun & general query

spinnaker

Can anyone please tell me how long it takes to get off the QE2 in port if not booked on a Cunard tour? (Travelling Mauretania if this makes any difference e.g. do Grill pax get priority?)

Specifically, I would like to book the train ride from Flam to Myrdal recommended on these boards. I would prefer not to do this through Cunard but am not sure for which time I should book the train. We dock at 8am. I am not sure it would be wise to leave it to chance and try to book on the day as we may be at the back of a queue of several thousand if there are other ships there the same day! So I would like to book in advance - but do not want to risk missing the train.

Also... Geiranger. Is there much to do here if not on a Cunard trip? Is Flydalsjuvet within walking distance? We will have 6 hours here.

And finally, Spitsbergen (Longyearbyen). There are no Cunard trips here - what is there to do? We will have 10 hours here.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

Can anyone please tell me how long it takes to get off the QE2 in port if not booked on a Cunard tour? (Travelling Mauretania if this makes any difference e.g. do Grill pax get priority?)

It depends on the port. If it's a launch port then it can be slow, if she's just tied up then you can normally walk straight off (although sometimes there can be delays).

Penthouse passengers do get priority at launch ports, other than that disembarkation at those ports is done by passengers whose cabins are on 1, 2 or 3 decks go to the Queens Room and passengers on 4 or 5 decks go to the Grand Lounge. You collect tickets there to get your place in the tender. That only applies until the first rush is over - then you just go straight to the launch.

I'll leave commenting on the train from Flam to someone who's done it recently.

Also... Geiranger. Is there much to do here if not on a Cunard trip?

Not a lot. But, by the time you've gone ashore, looked at the shops and walked up to the church, you'll have filled your time. (The view of the fjord with the QE2 in it from the church is well worth the walk:) )

I thought Church? There shouldn't be any problem finding a picture! How wrong I was! We didn't take any last time we were there and there don't seem to be any on the internet:(

Geiranger is an anchor port so the QM2 won't dock. The launches drop you in a small village with a few souvenir shops and not much more. From there it's about a 20 minute walk up a fairly steep road to the church. If you don't want to walk all the way up the views from the road are still fairly spectacular.

We stopped in Flaam on the QE II two summers ago. While we ordinarily do things independently, the Flaam train excursion was one of the best ship excursions we have ever been on. The tour goes over the mountain to Stalheim and then on to Visp (sp?). There are several cars on the train that are reserved for Cunard and the commentary and guides were outstanding.

If you still want to do this on your own, I would suggest booking in advance, as many passengers who waited were disappointed. If not, make sure that you disembark early and head to the train ticket office (not even a five minute walk from the pier)

Hi Malcom

I will be on the QM2 in June in Geiranger and was wondering what church you are talking about and how far it from where QM2 will be docked. I and my mother will not be doing any excursions in Geiranger.

Thanks

Geiranger-001.jpg

I took this photograph on the excursion to Mount Dalsnibba. It is hugely overpriced at $69, but the only other option is a taxi which I guess would be just as bad.

You'll not get views like this without paying for one of the "view" excursions - the "Eagles Bend" is also good.

I can't recommend any others as I've only done those two. You can't do both on the same day.

I'd certainly suggest doing one or the other.

As for Flaam, get off quickly and make for the ticket office and buy yourself a return ticket. You'll be fine. If your interest is the railway, doing it that way gets you both directions, rather than the single journey only that Cunard gives you as part of an expensive tour.

I didn't realise you could book online but if you do, then anything after 9.00 would be achievable if you get up early enough. On the other hand, if you book in advance, why not go for the 11.30 ish train (assuming times are as they were) and take it easy?

I've been twice and had no trouble getting tickets - even when we're not the earliest risers......

Longyearbyen is gorgeous. Have a good wander, admire the Queen Elizabeth 2 and then, once on board, admire the scenery.

As far as tender priority goes, it is only for grades Q2 and up - a grand total of 33 cabins.

Matthew

Thank you all for your help. The reason for no excursions is I do not wish to travel on all the hairpin turns in the road so in Geiranger and Flam would just like to see some of these towns on foot. I will see the scenery from the QM2 as we are going from Helleyst to Geiranger.

The trip up the mountain is worth it. As for tenders, it depends on various things like the weather and how far out she is. Last year in Newfoundland, I had a nice sit out on deck, did the crossword and had lunch, then went down to the tender for about 1.30pm. In the evening I was talking to some people who had got a ticket at 10am and had not got off until 1pm. So unless you have plans, it can pay to wait until after the rush.

mount.jpg.54bd0798f45d6ca651dbba4b25527f7c.jpg

mount1.jpg.6fc9002fc1c8d6b878b515ae0e364c40.jpg

lake.jpg.1b15ebda6bfc9a3ee57e5c7dfc4adb13.jpg

Archived