Kangaroo Island Car hire

We are visiting KI on our cruise ship QM2 on 20th Feb. We have decided to hire a car (4 wheel drive, with sat nav) and tour the island on our own as we don't like ships tours and the private tours are very expensive in our opinion. Anyone got any helpful advice or tips on driving on KI ? We plan to see the main sights if we can, Flinders Chase NP, Koala Walk, Vivonne Bay, Seal Bay etc. What are the roads like ? anything to watch outdoor? Any other must see sights, not to miss etc. We are not interested in stopping off anywhere to eat, we do enough of that on board the ship, more interested in seeing the sights...and hopefully lots of wildlife.

We are visiting KI on our cruise ship QM2 on 20th Feb. We have decided to hire a car (4 wheel drive, with sat nav) and tour the island on our own as we don't like ships tours and the private tours are very expensive in our opinion. Anyone got any helpful advice or tips on driving on KI ? We plan to see the main sights if we can, Flinders Chase NP, Koala Walk, Vivonne Bay, Seal Bay etc. What are the roads like ? anything to watch outdoor? Any other must see sights, not to miss etc. We are not interested in stopping off anywhere to eat, we do enough of that on board the ship, more interested in seeing the sights...and hopefully lots of wildlife.

You need to watch out for the kangaroos. They roam wild all over the island. You will see a lot of kangaroo road kill in your car hire.

You don't need to rent a 4WD nor a sat nav for what you have planned. All of those sites can be reached by paved roads and a decent paper map will get you where you want to go.

We've been to KI twice. It's easy to get around.

We found you did need a 4WD car hire on KI, because normal car hires aren't covered by insurance for the dirt roads. You need to go off the main routes for short distances on dirt roads to see all the attractions en route.

We found the added vehicle height was a bonus for sightseeing.

BTW We saw koalas in the Flinders Chase NP Car Park every time we visited over three days. Also on the walk behind the NP Office, where we saw geese and wallabies.

Sadly we didn't see any platypus.

Thanks for the info MMDownunder. We will be looking out for the wildlife everywhere :):) We also prefer the height of a 4wd, and it does make a big difference if you need to go off road even for a short distance.

GradUT. We opted for sat nav as we dont want to take any chances in getting back to the ship on time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, both.

Much appreciated.

I was down there in April - mates have moved to Kingscote - truly a remote place on a remote island... and not really to my liking.

Ok.. hints......and suggestions.. and things you need to consider :

- Car hire : at Penneshaw - this is a very small town, don't expect airport availability - if much at all, if it has not been booked.

- A long with a car : petrol / fuel on the island is MUCH more expensive than the mainland ! There is only one station at Penneshaw

- Distances - from Penneshaw to Flinders Chase National Park / Remarkable Rocks you will be looking at at least 120-140 mins each way. There is NOTHING to see on the way over - regardless if you are in a car or 4WD - IMO the island is dead set boring - just trees (and I spent 5 days there ! ) Seal Bay is about a 20-25 min deviation along this road. You will probably NOT fit in much else in the day Seal Bay will consume about 90mins

- Road - all sealed - no issues - 100km zones. You will see the occasional animal (koala) but Kangaroos are more likely not to be seen... UNTIL YOU HIT ONE.... LIKE I DID AT 6.30AM IN THE DARK !!! Wildlife will be seals and seals.......

- National Park Passes - NOT CHEAP !! $70 per adult (for a year.. but who goes back ??)

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/entry-fees/parks-passes/kangaroo-island-tour-pass

- Food - make sure you have some before you journey out - there is NOTHING between places (and what little there is is expensive) Penneshaw has one small IGA supermarket - not much inside

I know that the cruise arranged tours might be 'expensive' - but you will need to weigh up the costs of trying to do it yourself.

Edited by shireboi

Suggest you drive to Flinders Chase National Park - Cape du Couedic - Remarkable Rocks first to beat the tour busses.

You will see lots of Sea Lions and Fur Seals there, so no need to stop at Seal Bay.

En route Vivonne Bay Jetty Road at the end has spectacular views of the bay.

Hanson Bay has a beautiful beach and river also.

The Tourist Information at Pennehaw sells genuine KI products, which you can buy before you return to the ship.

If you google "Kangaroo Island" on this thread, you will see my comments written after my visit last September.

Suggest you drive to Flinders Chase National Park - Cape du Couedic - Remarkable Rocks first to beat the tour busses.

You will see lots of Sea Lions and Fur Seals there, so no need to stop at Seal Bay.

The Tourist Information at Pennehaw sells genuine KI products, which you can buy before you return to the ship.

If you google "Kangaroo Island" on this thread, you will see my comments written after my visit last September.

Oops "Search this forum" on top right hand side.

If you google Hanson Bay Resort Kangaroo Island, images will show you just how beautiful this area is.

Thanks very much MMdownunder and shireboi for taking time to share your advice. Its very much appreciated as we have no idea what to expect here. We will google the things you mention. I certainly hope we dont hit any kangeroos, it would totally ruin my holiday, we wont be driving in the dark, so hopefully it wont be an issue. Thanks for the warning though.

Kind regards to you both.

Thanks very much MMdownunder and shireboi for taking time to share your advice. Its very much appreciated as we have no idea what to expect here. We will google the things you mention. I certainly hope we dont hit any kangeroos, it would totally ruin my holiday, we wont be driving in the dark, so hopefully it wont be an issue. Thanks for the warning though. Kind regards to you both.

Too bad that you do not have the budget for hiring of a local guide/driver. But, I understand those guides/tours can be somewhat costly. Those who know this area well can add much to the understandings for what is so unique there and ALL that you will be experiencing on this amazing island. Below are some of my highlight visuals to heighten your excitement for visiting K.I. Many more on my full live/blog. Yes, it is best avoid driving at night there.

Added reactions and questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,050 views for this posting.

From amazing Kangaroo Island, 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia, here is a picture of two kangaroos doing what they do best on the open plains of this island while we observed at a distance.:

GBRLizIslanReef5_zps8aff9a96.jpg

At Flinders Chase National Park, first is a longer view as we approached the Remarkable Rocks that dramatically overlook this coast region of Kangaroo Island. These are naturally-sculptured formations sit atop a base of granite. This rock formation appears like sculptures of the UK's Henry Moore.:

KangIslandOneA15_zps7f57e126.jpg

Here is an overall coastal/beach view within Flinders National Park.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd84266b9.jpg

Here is a view at Admiral's Arch with an amazing angle through that famed stone arch outward towards sea/rock/coastal scenery.:

GBRLizIslanReef3_zpsb25405e5.jpg

With Craig Wickham, the operator of Exceptional Kangaroo Island on this famed Australian island near Adelaide, he took us on a "hunt", successfully, to find more Koalas out in the wild. Here is just one example of these Koala finds that we enjoyed so much. Aren't they cute? So lovable?:

KangIslandOneA1_zpsc37fce84.jpg

Here is one sample from my many pictures of these interesting and playful Australian Sea Lions at Kangaroo Island's Seal Bay. Fun!!:

KangIslandTwoA_zpse8ca57a4.jpg

Thanks very much MMdownunder and shireboi for taking time to share your advice. Its very much appreciated as we have no idea what to expect here. We will google the things you mention. I certainly hope we dont hit any kangeroos, it would totally ruin my holiday, we wont be driving in the dark, so hopefully it wont be an issue. Thanks for the warning though.

Kind regards to you both.

No probs !!

My advice was speaking from recent experiences staying on the island (I was contemplating going back over to visit my mates there - but a last minute cheap cruise on Ovation came up - we sail today :D)

Cruises have only recently added Kangaroo Is (Penneshaw) to their schedules.

I would say to you and others reading this - just to be mindful that whilst Kangaroo Island is regarded as a 'nice place to visit' etc - it is very very much a remote, small populated island, which requires the majority of your goods (food, petrol, cars) to be brought over by ferry. It only has two 'large' towns - a 50min drive between them.

The main roads are sealed - especially the ones to the major tourist spots... but there is a lot of nothing much else there.... land.. trees... just basic Australian bush areas. What can be FIT IN over one 'cruise' day is going to be very limited - and will require considerable driving distances.

Anyway - enjoy whatever you do there - definitely see the Remarkable Rocks near Flinders Chase Park !!!

If you're going to Adelaide first, rent a car there & take it over on the ferry. My Ozzie friends & I did this. No 4WD needed.

In Kingscote, you can book a night walk to see the fairy/blue penguins in their burrows. Not to be missed. I stayed right by the water & listened to them baying in the morning.

Wallabies are everywhere - you don't need to go looking for them. Just look to the skies - you'll see black cockatoos & galahs everywhere. You can go tidepooling near where the ferry drops off. You can sometimes find koalas in the notches of a eucalyptus tree, but you really need to have a keen eye.

I wish I could remember the little area where I saw many, black swans, white Pelicans, galahs (closeup), & access to black cockatoos.

Suffice it to say, however you spend your time on KI, you shouldn't be disappointed! There are even shops where you can buy the local wine & honeys.

Edited by Birder1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all this info, and especially the photos...excellent.

We are going with the Avis car hire, approx £63. The private day tours worked out about £450 for the two of us, which we could not justify for one day on a small island. So i hope we did the right thing.

Thanks again all for taking the time to help us.