Black Sea cruises and their future

i am amazed I have not seen anyone ask this question, so I guess I will bite the bullet.

With the horrific events that have just happened in the Ukraine (our prayers are with all the families -what a tragedy)' I fear things will escalate.

There must be others out there with Black Sea cruises booked?

We are past final payment and I know the cruise line should not put us at risk.

That being said, do people think that Black Sea cruises may soon become a thing of the past?

Also concerned that the entrance or exit could be blockaded. Things could change very quickly. Not sure what the new itinerary would be or when we would find out.

I know no one has a crystal ball.

Am I the only worry wart out there?

Edited by kazu

There have been threads in the cruise line forums about specific cruises/itineraries. I know that some lines have cancelled calls in Yalta, Sochi, etc. (with replacement ports) leading many people to cancel their cruises altogether. When are you sailing, and with who?

There have been threads in the cruise line forums about specific cruises/itineraries. I know that some lines have cancelled calls in Yalta, Sochi, etc. (with replacement ports) leading many people to cancel their cruises altogether. When are you sailing, and with who?

On HAL on the Prinsendam. Leave sept. 21 but don't hit the Black Sea until after October 5. They cancelled Ukraine months ago.

As I see this season most Black sea cruises cross Bosphorus and go only to Bulgaria (Nessebar, or Burgas, or Varna - or all of them) and to Romania (Constanta for 1 or 2 days - which is good opportunity to visit Bucharest, Bran castle etc.). You may know that The Black sea is not that small by size. It is a big sea with a size of 415 000 sq kms, so Russian coast and Ukraine coast (north parts, northeast parts) are far away from the beginning after cruises enter through Bosphorus and reach only the western parts where Bulgaria and Romania are situated.

As I see this season most Black sea cruises cross Bosphorus and go only to Bulgaria […] and to Romania […]
Many, like the OP's HAL cruise, also visit the north coast of Turkey (and Georgia, which I am less familiar with). These are also quite far from the troubled areas. There is plenty to see in the Black Sea while avoiding Ukraine and Russia, although it is a shame to be forced to miss those for political reasons. (I'm including Russia because the way relations are deteriorating day by day, I would not be very surprised to see USA and EU tourists having problems entering that country in the near future…)

As I see this season most Black sea cruises cross Bosphorus and go only to Bulgaria (Nessebar, or Burgas, or Varna - or all of them) and to Romania (Constanta for 1 or 2 days - which is good opportunity to visit Bucharest, Bran castle etc.). You may know that The Black sea is not that small by size. It is a big sea with a size of 415 000 sq kms, so Russian coast and Ukraine coast (north parts, northeast parts) are far away from the beginning after cruises enter through Bosphorus and reach only the western parts where Bulgaria and Romania are situated.

thanks - I know the Black Sea is huge - have only been to a portion in the past.

Can it not be blockaded?

I thought it could be at the entrance - which was one of the reasons I asked the question as to the future

Turkey controls the entrance to the Black Sea. The Bosphorus is totally controlled by Turkey. That has been a big point of contention with Russia for many, many years.

We did a Black Sea cruise in 2013 before all the issues occurred and really enjoyed it. In my opinion there is very little to see if you take out Odessa, Sevastopol, and Yalta. And I don't think I would want to go to Sochi and Novorissik, Russia at this time. So that leaves a very weak Black Sea port schedule. Nessabar was very nice and we really enjoyed it. Constanta is ugly and industrial. So you either need to take a 2 bus trip to the Danube Delta or a many hour ride to Bucharest. Georgia might be of interest. Have not been there. I just think it is a stretch to justify the cost of going on a Black Sea cruise at this time considering your port options. Such a shame. It is a beautiful part of the world.

Turkey controls the entrance to the Black Sea. The Bosphorus is totally controlled by Turkey. That has been a big point of contention with Russia for many, many years.

We did a Black Sea cruise in 2013 before all the issues occurred and really enjoyed it. In my opinion there is very little to see if you take out Odessa, Sevastopol, and Yalta. And I don't think I would want to go to Sochi and Novorissik, Russia at this time. So that leaves a very weak Black Sea port schedule. Nessabar was very nice and we really enjoyed it. Constanta is ugly and industrial. So you either need to take a 2 bus trip to the Danube Delta or a many hour ride to Bucharest. Georgia might be of interest. Have not been there. I just think it is a stretch to justify the cost of going on a Black Sea cruise at this time considering your port options. Such a shame. It is a beautiful part of the world.

thank you. Sevestapol is there and one can't help but wonder if they would make a move. Glad to hear there is nothing to worry about.

While we are sorry to miss Odessa & Sevestapol, we still have a nice itinerary and with two overnights still in Istanbul, it should make for a good cruise. Here's our itinerary:

CruiseDetails.action%3FwebItineraryIdForAudit%3DEMS430%26fromSearchVacation%3Dtrue%26destList%3DEM%26dateCode%3D%26flexibleMonths%3Dtrue%26noOfFlexibleMonths%3D1%26portCode%3D%26shipCodeSearch%3DPR%26voyageCode%3DP437A

We plan on enjoying it.

Oh it does look like you have a great itinerary. So many wonderful ports. Unless things really escalate, I think you will be fine and will have a wonderful trip! My cruise was out of Istanbul around the Black Sea back to Istanbul, so under current conditions, I would lose 5 ports.

Have a great trip!

Oh it does look like you have a great itinerary. So many wonderful ports. Unless things really escalate, I think you will be fine and will have a wonderful trip! My cruise was out of Istanbul around the Black Sea back to Istanbul, so under current conditions, I would lose 5 ports.

Have a great trip!

Thank you:D.