Room upgrade

AmR87

Hello all,

We received a call from pg today offering us an upgrade to deck 7 for a 'cheaper price' than that they charge normally. Is this something others would recommend? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the money or not. In my book, we're all on the same boat. My other half is interested in a balcony though.

Any insights?

Hello all,

We received a call from pg today offering us an upgrade to deck 7 for a 'cheaper price' than that they charge normally. Is this something others would recommend? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the money or not. In my book, we're all on the same boat. My other half is interested in a balcony though.

Any insights?

I must admit I think a balcony is nice to have, we usually go for one but not on this trip. There's no way we would get contacted as we got a cheap interliner rate so I reckon we will be the bottom of the barrel to be offered an upgrade ;) I would certainly consider it if it was a reasonable rate!

What deck are you on and how much for the upgrade? Also how many day cruise are you on?

We are currently on deck 4 per the great reviews. They offered us deck 7 for 600pp. I don't know if that is reasonable or not. 1200 seems like a lot to me just to have a balcony. We are on the 7 day cruise.

Ali,

That doesn't sound a good deal. We are also on deck 4 and at the rates we were quoted it is available for us to upgrade on the website through our TA to a balcony for $525pp at the moment! But again that is through an interliner site. I have accepted upgrades in the past but it usually has to be a good deal. Worth mentioning to your TA that you may be interested at a lower price maybe? :confused:

Edited by sammyboots

It's funny because it felt high to me and I know nothing about pricing! Plus my whole theory is 'for that price we can go on another vacation this year!'

Poor hubs who wants the balcony...I'm going to have to do some persuasion. Don't get me wrong I'd love a balcony, but not for 1200 dollars!

Sammyboots, which room are you in?

It's funny because it felt high to me and I know nothing about pricing! Plus my whole theory is 'for that price we can go on another vacation this year!'

Poor hubs who wants the balcony...I'm going to have to do some persuasion. Don't get me wrong I'd love a balcony, but not for 1200 dollars!

Sammyboots, which room are you in?

We're in room 411 :) I take it you're next door as it looks like there's only us on the 27/6 sailing! :D

Edited by sammyboots

All who know me on this board know my feeling toward spending money on a balcony cabin. On a seven day before you know it the trip is over and you just spent $1200 for what? Yes it's nice to sit on the balcony, have a drink or a snack out there, gaze at the awesome scenery, etc. No sea day though so your days will be busy off the ship. Use the ship as your balcony and use the money saved toward your NEXT cruise. You might not know it now but there WILL be a next PG cruise. I know this is easy for me to say as for many it is a dream to have a balcony in French Polynesia but I stand by my opinion.

All who know me on this board know my feeling toward spending money on a balcony cabin. On a seven day before you know it the trip is over and you just spent $1200 for what? Yes it's nice to sit on the balcony, have a drink or a snack out there, gaze at the awesome scenery, etc. No sea day though so your days will be busy off the ship. Use the ship as your balcony and use the money saved toward your NEXT cruise. You might not know it now but there WILL be a next PG cruise. I know this is easy for me to say as for many it is a dream to have a balcony in French Polynesia but I stand by my opinion.

I agree. Think it's lovely to have a balcony with lots of at sea days but on a cruise where you'll be off the ship everyday it just didn't seen worth it to us either.

Ali,

That doesn't sound a good deal. We are also on deck 4 and at the rates we were quoted it is available for us to upgrade on the website through our TA to a balcony for $525pp at the moment! But again that is through an interliner site. I have accepted upgrades in the past but it usually has to be a good deal. Worth mentioning to your TA that you may be interested at a lower price maybe? :confused:

Just curious...what is an interliner site?

We, too, were upgraded at a lower rate a couple of weeks before sailing. The balcony was nice in the mornings while waiting for the ship to wake up, but we rarely used it any other time. In hindsight, I wish we'd have stayed in steer... I mean deck 3.

We have accepted upgrades on longer trips since we had our adult daughter with us and having a slightly larger cabin helped (7th deck and 8th deck). Also, good to know is that the cabins on deck 7 are the original cabins with balconies and the ones on deck 6 are additions during dry dock several years ago. I think the ones on the 7th deck are slightly larger.

You will have a great time even without a balcony!

We enjoyed our balcony especially when we invited our cabin neighbors and a guest lecturer & his wife in for drinks and finger food! Half of us were on the balcony and the other half on the bed and sofa! We ordered wine and our server was a little bit curious since I had our neighbors order from our cabin even though the waiter kept confirming our cabin number and not his. He must have thought we were have a wild orgy or something! He had a funny look on his face when we opened the door!!

The only time we upgraded it was a 14-day trip with lots of sea days, and the upgrade was a good price, and it was to a deck 7 GTY. That turned out to be an even better deal since when they were handing out the cabins, we, and the fellow we were travelling with scored deck 8 cabins. I would never pay full-price for one of these, but it sure was nice being up on the pool deck. Didn't use the balcony very much, however--too hot most of the time. Then there's the "secret deck", which is really nearby.

My wife disagrees with me! Go for the upgrade she says. Nothing like sitting on the balcony as you enter a lagoon... Plus other stuff! I think it might be worth it on a longer cruise than 7 days. If you know you are never going back go for it.

So I think we have opted not to get the balcony. Unless the hubs has something planned I don't know about.

I mean, 1200 bucks is practically a whole nother vacation!

The only time we upgraded it was a 14-day trip with lots of sea days, and the upgrade was a good price, and it was to a deck 7 GTY. That turned out to be an even better deal since when they were handing out the cabins, we, and the fellow we were travelling with scored deck 8 cabins. I would never pay full-price for one of these, but it sure was nice being up on the pool deck. Didn't use the balcony very much, however--too hot most of the time. Then there's the "secret deck", which is really nearby.

"secret deck" sounds fun! Where do we find it lol? Rear deck 3??

Edited by sammyboots

We're in room 411 :) I take it you're next door as it looks like there's only us on the 27/6 sailing! :D

We just booked cabin 411 for the Dec 16 cruise! Would LOVE to hear how the cabin was when you return. Noise levels, etc. :D

Thanks!!! Enjoy your trip.

We had room #434 in 2013 and we will have room #427 in Aug. of this year. We also had room #310 last year. My favorite deck is deck 4. It was nice and quiet but you also got a good morning how are you? when you walked past the reception desk every day, or how is your day? You will be very happy on deck 4, enjoy your trip. Janine