Key West Snorkeling & Jelly Fish?

beachluvr!

Hi. I am going on my first 5 day cruise with my sister - so excited!! but we only have 2 days for the beach, which for us from the snowy cold northeast is what we live for:D I have read the reviews and most say to skip the man made beaches or snorkeling and enjoy the history and fun of Key West. We want to try and do both. First plan was to do a morning snorkel which would be done at noon and spend the afternoon walking Duval St and exploring. I have since read snorkeling reviews about lots of jelly fish:eek: Jelly fish have impacted some previous vacations so I am just not sure. Any suggestions for at least a half day of water/beach time and 1/2 to shop and walk around? I am also wondering about switching walking/shopping time to am and beach pm since it will be hot. The beach at the park with the fort has good reviews and snorkeling. Thinking about that? I forgot to mention that the snorkeling would be a private excursion on a catamaran. My sister has never been on one and I would love her to experience it! So if too many jellies maybe just a sail and swim instead of snorkeling??I appreciate your feed back!

Edited by beachluvr!

Jellyfish are most prevalent in the late summer, around September and are mostly the large, pink Moon jellies. They can be very abundant and very problematic. Man-o-wars are abundant around December. Otherwise jellyfish aren't much of a problem. I've been stung probably around a dozen times over a course of 17 years and most were around those times.

I see you're going in April. Like anywhere, jellies do exist, but April is not a problem time for them.

However, I have to say...beach snorkeling sucks in Key West. For good snorkeling, you really need to book a trip to the reef. I recommend booking the catamaran trip you're considering.

Edited by Aquahound

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for your replies:). We will be in Fort Lauderdale for a full day. I read snorkeling is good at lauderdale by the sea. Ever been or heard about??

Yes, there is excellent snorkeling and diving from the beach in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea! Just north of the pier you'll find a shipwreck and a pretty incredible man made reef. You can rent or buy your snorkel equipment. Publix carries USDiver.

My husband and his friends get tanks all the time and dive that reef and leave me and my girlfriends on the beach drinking beer.