Royal Genie - Star Class - Allure

Maven3

We are sailing on the Allure in March for a spring break cruise. We are staying in A2-9330, a 2 bedroom Aquatheater suite. Our party consists of me, my husband and 4 cruise savvy kids (ages 20, 19,18,15). Most of the posts I have found regarding the Genie are from last summer, I am wondering if any offerings have changed. I booked the cruise in January 2016. I kept a copy of the Star list at the time of booking in case I needed it.

Other questions I have are...

1. When will our RG contact us?

2. Should I wait and have them book all our shows and dinners, or should I just do it online?

3. I have read they "schedule" Flowrider time and also you get a faster line. Is either correct? My 18 yr old son was the US Men's (not Pro) champion last year in Flowboarding. Since he has gone to college, he doesn't get to ride much. I believe he is planning on spending as much time as possible at the Flowrider.

4. What is the appropriate amount to tip the RG?

5. Do the RGs have more than 1 suite per cruise he/she is responsible for?

6. Is laundry and dry cleaning included with Star service?

7. Is it frowned upon to have dinner in a specialty restaurant EVERY night? I feel a little awkward booking them, but if they are included in the price, why not? I don't think the main dining room food is as tasty as it used to be.

8. Can the RG book private excursions that are not part of the RCI program? We would like to do a chartered fishing trip in St Maarten.

9. Also, does anyone know if the comedy show changes throughout the week? Should we go once or twice?

Thanks for reading all my babble. I appreciate any answers you can enlighten me with!

Vickie

7. Is it frowned upon to have dinner in a specialty restaurant EVERY night? No problem booking a specialty restaurant every night, you paid for it.

8. Can the RG book private excursions that are not part of the RCI program? We would like to do a chartered fishing trip in St Maarten. No.

9. Also, does anyone know if the comedy show changes throughout the week? Same show all cruise. ...

Can help with some questions, see answers in RED above.

From what I have read here recently....

If there is something you want to see/do onboard, book it yourself if it's available now. RG can help rearrange bookings.

There is a separate line for Flowrider. If I recall what was noted it's something like one from your line after every 2 in regular line? I think there is a separate block of time for Star as well (need to find that post).

RG has more than one suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Allure in March for a spring break cruise. We are staying in A2-9330, a 2 bedroom Aquatheater suite. Our party consists of me, my husband and 4 cruise savvy kids (ages 20, 19,18,15). Most of the posts I have found regarding the Genie are from last summer, I am wondering if any offerings have changed. I booked the cruise in January 2016. I kept a copy of the Star list at the time of booking in case I needed it.

Other questions I have are...

1. When will our RG contact us? 3 weeks before cruise is the automated survey, 1-2 weeks before is an email from the actual Genie.

2. Should I wait and have them book all our shows and dinners, or should I just do it online?We booked our own, force of habit. They say the Hibachi Table is hard to get so you might want to prebook it. The rest was easy.

3. I have read they "schedule" Flowrider time and also you get a faster line. Is either correct? My 18 yr old son was the US Men's (not Pro) champion last year in Flowboarding. Since he has gone to college, he doesn't get to ride much. I believe he is planning on spending as much time as possible at the Flowrider.They can book the wave in advance. Depending on the ship they handle it differently. Wait and ask when you get on board. If he hoards they wave from the short line and does long runs be forewarned there won't be much less be from other riders. I'm a multiple best of the best winner and I do not use the short line. He should go with the flow, do what feels comfortable with. I don't use the line as to me it goes against the spirit of riding. We will private rent the wave 1-2 times a cruise for just us. That is the best way to get lots of runs in.

4. What is the appropriate amount to tip the RG? We tipped $100 per person plus extra to the stewards. They work hand in hand with the Genie for some aspects.

5. Do the RGs have more than 1 suite per cruise he/she is responsible for?I'm told it is 3 cabins.

6. Is laundry and dry cleaning included with Star service?It was in August and have not read different since them.

7. Is it frowned upon to have dinner in a specialty restaurant EVERY night? I feel a little awkward booking them, but if they are included in the price, why not? I don't think the main dining room food is as tasty as it used to be.Yes, do it. Sabor and JR is included so you can mix it up.:D

8. Can the RG book private excursions that are not part of the RCI program? We would like to do a chartered fishing trip in St Maarten.No they can't.

9. Also, does anyone know if the comedy show changes throughout the week? Should we go once or twice?You should be able to go by your Genie booking it but they are practically the same show, except for audience interventions. I did it one cruise - went with DW one night, and my mom the next one as our 6 year old son was sleeping in the cabin.

Thanks for reading all my babble. I appreciate any answers you can enlighten me with!

Vickie

Vickie, I answered your questions above in red. I also put a link below to the Genie portion of my August RLS review. If you have any questions just ask.

Genie portion starts at post 555. I also included the welcome letters which are on the next page of that thread from the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394389&page=28

Hi, we too are staying in A2 9330, next month! super excited.

Regarding the questionnaire email from the genie, I just received it Jan.3rd for our Feb. 12 sailing.

Thanks for posting questions, Ill be following along for responses.

Edited by nik23

Thanks so much for all the responses. They are very helpful. How do I rent the rent the wave for a private session? How much does it cost? He is generally an easy going person and will wait his turn. He has won Best of the Best on the Allure and Oasis also, but it has been a couple years.

Thanks so much for all the responses. They are very helpful. How do I rent the rent the wave for a private session? How much does it cost? He is generally an easy going person and will wait his turn. He has won Best of the Best on the Allure and Oasis also, but it has been a couple years.

We were in the exact same room this past December. Regarding the flow rider, Star Class guests get a different coloured wrist band and so the operators of the flow rider are actually the ones enforcing when it is your turn. My 11 year old son was at first uncomfortable standing away from the main line but was constantly told by the operators that this was what they were told to do. My son went on average after every 2 people. Overall there was no issues with this given he was the only Star Class guest waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you email with your Genie let him know that you would like to do a private rental, for what night and for what time. You should be able to get something close to the time you are looking for. It isn't bookable, except for lessons, until you are on the ship so this should get you a good time availability. In August it was around $350 for a private rental, which includes the two crew that watch to make sure the rules are being followed. The crew will be excited to have your son for a rental as he should be fun to watch. We knew one family that rented it every night at nine for their teenaged son. Even though I can skip the line it is much more enjoyable to get to know your fellow riders.

If you get Frankie as your Genie we found him to be perfect for us. Hopefully with whoever you have it is the same experience.:)

Edited by A&L_Ont

We were in the exact same room this past December. Regarding the flow rider, Star Class guests get a different coloured wrist band and so the operators of the flow rider are actually the ones enforcing when it is your turn. My 11 year old son was at first uncomfortable standing away from the main line but was constantly told by the operators that this was what they were told to do. My son went on average after every 2 people. Overall there was no issues with this given he was the only Star Class guest waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I too had the different coloured wrist band but chose to stand in the regular line. It really comes down to what one feels comfortable in doing.

That is great information and advice, thank you. He will probably stand in the line most of the time also. He pretty much lives at the Flowrider when he is on a ship with one. Last cruise, when he was 15, it felt as if virtually everyone on the ship knew his name, it was a little alarming for me until I figured out he knew everyone from the Flowrider!

On a separate note, I generally tip the room attendant $75-$100/day above the standard, they seem to be doing most of the work, especially when we have 4 teenagers with us. Does the Genie help with any of his/her work or does the Genie add to the room attendant's duties?

That is great information and advice, thank you. He will probably stand in the line most of the time also. He pretty much lives at the Flowrider when he is on a ship with one. Last cruise, when he was 15, it felt as if virtually everyone on the ship knew his name, it was a little alarming for me until I figured out he knew everyone from the Flowrider!

On a separate note, I generally tip the room attendant $75-$100/day above the standard, they seem to be doing most of the work, especially when we have 4 teenagers with us. Does the Genie help with any of his/her work or does the Genie add to the room attendant's duties?

You comment about your son made me laugh. I've too have been recognized around the ship but add 30 more years on your son's age and that's me. :D I'm the older guy that makes old guys feel good about themselves. :p

The steward does all the regular housekeeping duties. The Genie does the arranging, streamlining and facilitating of your needs around the ship. It's like he's your "guy". The steward and Genie work together. The steward keeps an eye of your in cabin needs and the Genie will find what you want, if the steward can't make it happen. Don't really know how to explain it but that is what happened with us on deck 17.

I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding salary and tipping of Royal Genie's on this thread and others. I was curious as to what their base salary is. I found an advertisement from the British Butler Institute for Royal Genies. The base salary is $2150US/month, about $500 per week. They work 5 months on, 6 weeks off. d74ee490ca8bfb0edb2c0399547dd59c.jpgf0af60005fdbd16756361fc3aefe52b4.jpg2f54278fa22bbfe8a1d1eeb39962bd19.jpg

There is more to the ad, but I have never posted pictures and have no clue how this will turn out or if any else is curious about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Coastal Kitchen is wonderful too. Eat there for breakfast and lunch! The only time I would choose to eat in the MDR is for the sea days lunch. I love the speciality salad they prepare for you.

Edited by dasi11

I've had four Genie's so far so hopefully I can answer...

About 8-12 days prior to sailing.

2. Should I wait and have them book all our shows and dinners, or should I just do it online?

Don't book a single thing, except maybe ShoreEx. They will handle it all. It's a waste of time for you to do it.

3. I have read they "schedule" Flowrider time and also you get a faster line. Is either correct? My 18 yr old son was the US Men's (not Pro) champion last year in Flowboarding. Since he has gone to college, he doesn't get to ride much. I believe he is planning on spending as much time as possible at the Flowrider.

They can expedite getting you on, they can also arrange private times (for a fee).

I've tipped $300-500/week.

Usually 3-4, depending on the ship.

Yes, the laundry is always done and never on my bill.

7. Is it frowned upon to have dinner in a specialty restaurant EVERY night? I feel a little awkward booking them, but if they are included in the price, why not? I don't think the main dining room food is as tasty as it used to be.

I've never eaten in the dining room with four Star Class sailings, so definitely not frowned upon. On my last sailing, the Genie arranged to have our favorite dishes from all the restaurants delivered (pasta from Jamie's, sushi/hibachi from Izumi, steak from Chops, etc.)

8. Can the RG book private excursions that are not part of the RCI program? We would like to do a chartered fishing trip in St Maarten.

Yes, ShoreEx can work directly with the local tour partners to arrange private/unique excursions. Last time we had a chartered catamaran for 8 of us that usually fit 50-60.

9. Also, does anyone know if the comedy show changes throughout the week? Should we go once or twice?

It's always the same, except when they do the family show.

Edited by TrojanUSC

Vickie, I answered your questions above in red. I also put a link below to the Genie portion of my August RLS review. If you have any questions just ask.

Genie portion starts at post 555. I also included the welcome letters which are on the next page of that thread from the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394389&page=28

Hi, we too are staying in A2 9330, next month! super excited.

Regarding the questionnaire email from the genie, I just received it Jan.3rd for our Feb. 12 sailing.

Thanks for posting questions, Ill be following along for responses.

Does the questionnaire come directly from the genie who will be looking after you on board ?

I thought I might have read previously the questionnaire email is auto generated and comes from a different email address than the direct contact from the Genie around 2 weeks out.

I've had four Genie's so far so hopefully I can answer...

About 8-12 days prior to sailing.

Don't book a single thing, except maybe ShoreEx. They will handle it all. It's a waste of time for you to do it.

They can expedite getting you on, they can also arrange private times (for a fee).

I've tipped $300-500/week.

Usually 3-4, depending on the ship.

Yes, the laundry is always done and never on my bill.

I've never eaten in the dining room with four Star Class sailings, so definitely not frowned upon. On my last sailing, the Genie arranged to have our favorite dishes from all the restaurants delivered (pasta from Jamie's, sushi/hibachi from Izumi, steak from Chops, etc.)

Yes, ShoreEx can work directly with the local tour partners to arrange private/unique excursions. Last time we had a chartered catamaran for 8 of us that usually fit 50-60.

It's always the same, except when they do the family show.

Thank you!! You have saved me a lot of time and frustration! Where was your catamaran chartered?

Vickie

Thank you!! You have saved me a lot of time and frustration! Where was your catamaran chartered?

Vickie

Boat was waiting at the pier, went to pick up lunch at an amazing beach cafe, sailed to maho (airplane) beach for a bit then stopped for a swim. An amazing day. We also did a speedboat excursion in St. Thomas they set up, which was also great.

One thing re: restaurant reservations - I would tell the Genie in your initial email specifically where you'd like to dine and a night preference. For me, I'll just say: "Night 1: Giovanni's Night 2: Izumi, etc." I've never had an issue that way. Trying to switch stuff once on-board is rarely, but occasionally, a problem. Moreso just because of capacity (i.e. Izumi hibachi is relatively limited). Having said that, definitely don't waste time trying to make anything online or months in advance. Everytime I've sailed its with a large group (10-12) and they still accommodate us without issue or problems. For the shows, it's even easier, you don't need reservations at all. The Genie physically goes to hold seats for you with nifty red "RESERVED" seat covers.

Edited by TrojanUSC

Were you happy with your room? I have stayed in an A1 twice, but this will be the 1st time in an A2. Who was your Genie? Room attendant?

We loved the room. Please see my cruise review here,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431259

Our Genie was Susan and she was absolutely amazing. Our room steward was Dennison and he was very friendly and overall did a great job.

We have already booked the same room again this December.