Green Tomato Tokyo-Yokohama Port what is up with their shared van dates?

bigwally

I'm trying to figure out if we can use a Green Tomato shared van for a cruise out of Yokohama next year (2018 schedule not posted yet) and I am thoroughly confused by what they've posted for 2017:

https://www.greentomato-j.com/eng/shuttle/yokohama_seaport.php

For example: HA had a trans Pacific cruise leaving Yokohama on April 25th this year, but Green Tomato only shows April 20th and 29th as service dates. I'm guessing this means they don't service Yokohama (on a shared basis anyhow) for all cruise ships coming into port? What is up with that?

Edit: Never mind...I just tried to run through a dummy booking and it looks like their shared service is in some way tied to the Diamond Princess' arrival and sailing dates. Item 4 on their contract of service: "Our shuttle service is operated following to Diamond Princess’s actual arrival or departure date. In case if the ship arrival or departure date is changed due to unexpected reason, we will change our shuttle operation date to following to the ship actual arrival/departure date, but pick up/drop off hotel change might not be available."

Edited by bigwally

We used Green Tomato from Tokyo to the Yokohama Cruise Terminal in October 2015. Viator also sells the same transfer using Green Tomato so there is a good chance there will be a lot of passengers on your cruise using this transfer service. We were able to connect with others on our Roll Call so that we had enough for Green Tomato to send a mini van to take us to Yokohama (we were concerned about the amount of luggage, but there was enough room) and had no problems.

We used Green Tomato from Tokyo to the Yokohama Cruise Terminal in October 2015. Viator also sells the same transfer using Green Tomato so there is a good chance there will be a lot of passengers on your cruise using this transfer service. We were able to connect with others on our Roll Call so that we had enough for Green Tomato to send a mini van to take us to Yokohama (we were concerned about the amount of luggage, but there was enough room) and had no problems.

I think that's our best bet. We did this from Amsterdam to Rotterdam on our HA Baltic cruise, and arranged an en route stopover in Kinderdijk for a tour of the windmills. It was a very nice way to eventually connect with the ship and split the cost of getting there.

The other option seems to be getting Yamato Transport to move the luggage from our Tokyo hotel to the nearest Yamato facility near the Osanbashi Terminal (there is an office that accepts luggage not too far away at all). That way we can take the train and not have to worry about traipsing luggage all over Japan. The only concern I have about this is letting our luggage out of our sight on the day we're supposed to sail away from Japan for good. :o

Thanks Gwendy. If I can keep it under $200 with Tokyo Airporter that sounds MUCH better than Green Tomato at $375.

Bruce, do those delivery companies have permanent desks in the terminal or are they just pop-ups on disembarkation days? I mean that would be ideal if they receive luggage as well as forward it (the office in town does both), but if they're more geared towards getting luggage from Yokohama to NRT maybe not so much?

Oh, and I said we'd be leaving Japan for good from Yokohama and that's not actually true - we'd have port calls in Hakodate and Kushiro first, where our luggage could conceivably catch us up if the whole deal went sideways.

I had a nearly private transfer from Shibuya Station to Osanbashi on Friday morning. This is a longer trip than going from Shinagawa.

I had a business meeting in that neighborhood at 9 am.

Caught the Toyoko Line at Shibuya Station at 8:15. That line changes names to Minato Mirai Line after the train reaches Yokohama Station. But no transfer is required.

At that hour, all the commuters are heading in the opposite direction. I had the entire train car to myself.

Also very relaxing and stress-free.

The trip cost me 430¥ (US$ 4) and took 29 minutes.

I did have to walk 2 blocks after leaving Nihon Odori station.

I think we're going to go with Tokyo Airporter unless there is a surprise when it comes to the cost - they get pretty solid reviews on FlyerTalk (another travel site I frequent).

One of our party was a smoker and wanted a ciggie before we left, no problems, took her to the special area, waited and the took us to vehicle. Great service.